Using A Website To Post My Pictures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Kind of off topic for this forum but I know there are a lot of "techies" on here as well as many people that have websites for their hiking photos so I figured I'd ask here. I'm closing my Facebook account and really one of the only reasons I still had it was to post and share photos and videos of my hikes. I dabbled with a few photo hosting sites but really don't like the way they work and/or are organized. So I'm thinking an actual website where I can create some structure and post large quantities of pictures and videos will make the most sense. A basic sort of thing where each hike is a "story" and there is some sort of link system to look at older hikes, maybe search keywords like a peak name, etc. I look at my old hike photos often so being able to research my hike history would be nice without navigating through photos on my PC.

So any suggestions? I'm am definitely NOT tech savvy. I do have some basic experience with Wordpress from the website I built for where I work. So I started there but whatever I downloaded for that is way different from what I use to administer my work website (we have a separate company that is the web domain host for that so not sure if that is why or not). Obviously I'm looking for a reasonable cost structure and a lot of storage. Some Google searches on the topic really haven't been very helpful. Blog sites fir the bill but storage cost seems very high, at least the ones I've looked at. As a reference, my 2020 hiking photo folder has about 26 GB of files in it. I've been hiking for about 8 years. You get the point....

So if anyone out there has a provider and/or set up they like I'd be curious to get some details on it. Thanks in advance.

If you already have Prime, Amazon Photos is free, and you can share them.

Google has something for photos as well, but you'd have to pay for it, given your volume.

You could just delete all your friends/groups/etc. and use facebook strictly for photos.

If you already have Prime, Amazon Photos is free, and you can share them.

Google has something for photos as well, but you'd have to pay for it, given your volume.

You could just delete all your friends/groups/etc. and use facebook strictly for photos.

I didn't realize Amazon Prime did that. Have to check into it. I gave thought to "gutting" my Facebook account, creating a group just for my photos, etc but part of the reason I'm getting off is philosophical, i.e. if I have an account on Facebook I am an accomplice to some degree in the shenanigans there, support their advertising revenue, etc. It's hard to argue with the magnitude of the free storage they provide you though.

Kind of off topic for this forum but I know there are a lot of "techies" on here as well as many people that have websites for their hiking photos so I figured I'd ask here. I'm closing my Facebook account and really one of the only reasons I still had it was to post and share photos and videos of my hikes. I dabbled with a few photo hosting sites but really don't like the way they work and/or are organized. So I'm thinking an actual website where I can create some structure and post large quantities of pictures and videos will make the most sense. A basic sort of thing where each hike is a "story" and there is some sort of link system to look at older hikes, maybe search keywords like a peak name, etc. I look at my old hike photos often so being able to research my hike history would be nice without navigating through photos on my PC.

So any suggestions? I'm am definitely NOT tech savvy. I do have some basic experience with Wordpress from the website I built for where I work. So I started there but whatever I downloaded for that is way different from what I use to administer my work website (we have a separate company that is the web domain host for that so not sure if that is why or not). Obviously I'm looking for a reasonable cost structure and a lot of storage. Some Google searches on the topic really haven't been very helpful. Blog sites fir the bill but storage cost seems very high, at least the ones I've looked at. As a reference, my 2020 hiking photo folder has about 26 GB of files in it. I've been hiking for about 8 years. You get the point....

So if anyone out there has a provider and/or set up they like I'd be curious to get some details on it. Thanks in advance.

Smugmug. Seven bucks per month. Easy to use and customize. No pop ups or banner ads. No BS. Great customer service, although it's rarely been needed.
Amazed that anyone still does facebook or twitter.

I have to agree with Billy. I have been using Smugmug for 6 or 7 years now and I am very satisfied. There are several levels available with varying price ranges. I have the basic, as I am not a professional photographerand not looking to sell. On a yearly basis I pay about $50 per year. They advertise unlimited storage of videos and photos. I currently have over 150GB of photos and videos on their site and they have never questioned it. One of my friends must have well over 200GB. Very easy to use. I'm not real tech savy either so if I can set it up and use it anyone should be able to. Does all I need. Plenty of security, fast loading and viewing, lots of options. If you're interested in viewing my site drop me a PM and I'll forward the address.

Thanks Billy and Kerry13. I'll check it out. Would you say this is comparable to Flickr in terms of set up and use. In the Spring I almost pulled the trigger on Facebook and set up a Flickr account but I wasn't crazy about the format, ease of use, etc.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Billy. I have been using Smugmug for 6 or 7 years now and I am very satisfied. There are several levels available with varying price ranges. I have the basic, as I am not a professional photographerand not looking to sell. On a yearly basis I pay about $50 per year. They advertise unlimited storage of videos and photos. I currently have over 150GB of photos and videos on their site and they have never questioned it. One of my friends must have well over 200GB. Very easy to use. I'm not real tech savy either so if I can set it up and use it anyone should be able to. Does all I need. Plenty of security, fast loading and viewing, lots of options. If you're interested in viewing my site drop me a PM and I'll forward the address.

What he said. I've been using site for about 10 or so years and no complaints.

www.rugged-rob.smugmug.com

Last edited:
Flickr changed the rules so now I can't even access my photos there (started out years ago on a no-longer-valid email address, etc.). They may change the rules again.

I thought Google just announced they were going to start charging for photo storage.

Flickr changed the rules so now I can't even access my photos there (started out years ago on a no-longer-valid email address, etc.). They may change the rules again.

I thought Google just announced they were going to start charging for photo storage.

Awhile back when I was contemplating this change I set up a Flickr account but I didn't care for the interface. It was free at least. I set up a 14-day trial account on SmugMug and really like it. Unlimited photo and video storage and I found their interface very easy to use. Probably going to go that route. Not that I take sale worthy photos but I do like that people browsing the site have a variety of purchase options for your pics so on the off chance somebody buys one of your photos it at least offsets some of the annual subscription fee. And if I want a print, framed piece, etc for myself it is a quick and easy way to get done having it all right there in one spot. I didn't do a price comparison to other sites but their rates seemed reasonable.

As always, this forum delivered "the goods". Thanks to all for the info.