Ice Gulch Randolph Tuesday Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. Until there is a foolproof system that prevents unskilled or prepared hikers from getting in over their heads, what is the alternative? Let them die? I can totally get someone not knowing what they are supposed to do after getting themselves in what they consider a serious situation, and fearing for the approaching nightfall. It absolutely doesn't matter that they shouldn't have put themselves in this situation in the first place (although bad things happen to experienced hikers as well), they need to be rescued. I get it totally that it is a pain in the ass for the rescuers and their families, and puts them at possible risk as well, but again, what's the alternative? Most household fires are caused by carelessness, should firefighters just let the house burn? Most car accidents are caused by horrible mistakes on the drivers part, should EMS stay away? The more experienced here can pound their chests and say they would never let that happen to them, but the dude making the call isn't you.

I agree 100%. And not as an alternative but as an implementation detail I would have dedicated professional rescue people who have the rescue mission as their primary responsibility (as is done in most other countries). Not an "also" task for Forest Service or F&G people or volunteers. Additionally every rescue would be charged for and most people would have insurance - same as an ambulance response. Of course that might lead to some injuries in these parts as there would be falls off of high horses if the usual suspects couldn't pontificate with their "I hope they get charged".

I agree 100%. And not as an alternative but as an implementation detail I would have dedicated professional rescue people who have the rescue mission as their primary responsibility (as is done in most other countries). Not an "also" task for Forest Service or F&G people or volunteers. Additionally every rescue would be charged for and most people would have insurance - same as an ambulance response. Of course that might lead to some injuries in these parts as there would be falls off of high horses if the usual suspects couldn't pontificate with their "I hope they get charged".

There is no way, the state of NH is going to pay a rescue team to sit around and wait for the occasional rescue. I do agree that all rescues should be charged, I never understood the free ride of such a valuable service. A far as the high horse goes, I wear the appropriate padding.:rolleyes:

There is no way, the state of NH is going to pay a rescue team to sit around and wait for the occasional rescue. I do agree that all rescues should be charged, I never understood the free ride of such a valuable service.

I think you will find a very different point of view held by the many unpaid SAR volunteers who regularly work rescues in the Whites.

In answer to the question "Why go?" their common response is: "Because it could be me out there."

This empathetic and caring response is documented by Sandy Stott in his recent book: Critical Hours -- Search and Rescue in the White Mountains.

If you have an interest in SAR and rescues (and who doesn't on this board:), I urge you to read this book. It provides an historical context for SAR, discusses some high-profile rescues, explains the evolution of current SAR, supplies insight into the groups and individuals (paid and unpaid) that constitute today's SAR network, discusses the argument of charging for services, and more.

I got my copy at Mountain Wanderer and learned a lot from reading it.

Last edited:
There is no way, the state of NH is going to pay a rescue team to sit around and wait for the occasional rescue. I do agree that all rescues should be charged, I never understood the free ride of such a valuable service. A far as the high horse goes, I wear the appropriate padding.:rolleyes:

Excuse me while we process your credit card . . . we're sorry, sir, your credit card has been declined, we won't be able to help you today. Thanks for calling and have a nice day!

It's the hypocrisy of many NH residents and the State's charging for resuces why I try to spend as little money in the state when I visit.

I think you will find a very different point of view held by the many unpaid SAR volunteers who regularly work rescues in the Whites.

In answer to the question "Why go?" their common response is: "Because it could be me out there."

This empathetic and caring response is documented by Sandy Stott in his recent book: Critical Hours -- Search and Rescue in the White Mountains.

If you have an interest in SAR and rescues (and who doesn't on this board:), I urge you to read this book. It provides an historical context for SAR, discusses some high-profile rescues, explains the evolution of current SAR, supplies insight into the groups and individuals (paid and unpaid) that constitute today's SAR network, discusses the argument of charging for services, and more.

I got my copy at Mountain Wanderer and learned a lot from reading it.

I'm not sure what you mean by your response? I'm just saying there is not going to be paid teams anytime soon by the state of NH, especially when there are people doing it for free. As far as the volunteers wishing they were paid, (which what I'm assuming you meant) I don't blame them for that, but nobody is forcing them to do it for free.

There is no way, the state of NH is going to pay a rescue team to sit around and wait for the occasional rescue. /QUOTE]

Like fireman? But ideally I wouldn't want public employees doing it. Privatize it.

There is no way, the state of NH is going to pay a rescue team to sit around and wait for the occasional rescue.

Like fireman? But ideally I wouldn't want public employees doing it. Privatize it.

The majority of fire fighters in this country are volunteer (65%). In NH that percentage is even higher (70-80%).

Excuse me while we process your credit card . . . we're sorry, sir, your credit card has been declined, we won't be able to help you today. Thanks for calling and have a nice day!

It's the hypocrisy of many NH residents and the State's charging for resuces why I try to spend as little money in the state when I visit.
I've said it before and would be glad to say it again. The attitude that you are coming to our beautiful State of New Hampshire from another State, spending your money here and thinking your doing us a big favor is in my opinion a figment of one's imagination. There is a long line behind you to get in. One can choose to spend their money where they want but if you land up staying at home or going elsewhere other than NH to recreate we as NH residents are not loosing any sleep over it. New Hampshire residents believe it or not do leave the State of NH, go elsewhere and spend money in other States like Vermont. If I go hike Mansfield or any other place outside NH, break my leg and need to be rescued I don't expect anyone other than myself to be responsible for the cost. No hypocrisies here and I actually said that without even leaving the ground and having to climb up on a horse.

Before I say anything, please explain to this NH Native exactly what hypocrisy to which you refer.

Before I say anything, please explain to this NH Native exactly what hypocrisy to which you refer.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like he thinks he should not be charged, because he spends money on his trips.

Wasn't it in Sandy Stott's book where he questions why people who spend a lot of time in the outdoors, work SAR or Rangers, never call for rescue proportionate to the time spent outdoors? One response was "I'll crawl on my hands and knees for four days before I call SAR". Thats pretty much my view on it.

I rarely spend money in NH, outside of gas, or maybe a snack at the Irving in Gorham or N Conway. I can make it there, and back, on a full tank of gas and I usually have enough food with me for a day or two. I'd stop at a restaurant, pre-covid, occasinally, but now, just too much trouble to do so.

co-incidently, My gf went hiking this past weekend while I was doing my 14 day quarantine due to being exposed at work. She hiked Pleasant Mtn and came back to the trailhead to a flat tire. She called AAA after she couldn't get the tire off the hub. Got the lug nuts off, but the rim was rusted on. The AAA guy had to smash it was a sledge hammer to knock it off the hub.