Gaiter Question / Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'm on a bit of roll with VFTT members of late getting spot-on, rock-solid recommendations on gear and services so I have another question. I'm not a huge fan of gaiters and generally only wear them in Winter for snow but I've been reconsidering that decision of late. I'm looking for a gaiter to wear primarily in the shoulder seasons in that say 20 deg F - 50 deg F type weather where it is brisk and wet and muddy. I don't really like the velcro seam type gaiters and the stuff with elastic seems like it is much shorter than I'd want (top of boots type height). Looking for a streamlined type product versus a baggy, bunchy gaiter.

So the question I had is whether or not there is a "compression type" gaiter with minimal hooks or fastenings that relies primarily on snugly fitting around the foot and calf versus a loose nylon type thing that bunches, snags on branches, etc. I've done a little looking around and haven't really come across such a thing other than really low trail running gaiters that basically cover the ankle and top of shoe. If I remember right, a year or two ago someone in a post about some other topic mentioned wearing elastic knee braces as a gaiter for the snug fit, which is what initially thinking about a product for this.

Any thoughts on what people here are doing, product suggestions would be appreciated as always. Thanks in advance.

Yikes. Maybe the concept, not the colors. :p

Seriously, I don't think I want them to be all the way to the knee. More of a full boot cover than anything. My current "leader in the clubhouse" thought is these:https://www.amazon.com/d/Mens-Neck-...11df3476f5416ec1a8f0dedc&language=en_US&psc=1

I have actually found a few stretch gaiters but the customer reviews are quite bad, which makes me leary. Kahtoola also makes one which is very similar but has a zipper closure, which I want to avoid. Most of the "best of" searches on gaiters keep turning up the same few models. The search continues....

Check out Dirty Girl Gaiters.

I'm familiar with that brand. I'd consider them to be a trail running shoe gaiter and not the best choice for shoulder season conditions. Looking for a somewhat beefier and taller gaiter than that.

Yes they do. That was the model I mentioned in my comment above to JoshandBaron. They're the height I am looking for and the design is good but I'm leary about the zipper and the attachment to wrap under the shoe looks a bit flimsy. The Ultimate Direction gaiters I listed have velcro and a snap and the strap under foot seems to have a better design. I really like the "shell" of the Kahtoola model though. Just about exactly what I wanted as far as shape. Just wish it was a solid sleeve instead but I haven't found anything quite like that.

I guess if you don't want the ones with velcro closures and you don't like the ones with zippers, then there aren't many other options.

I guess if you don't want the ones with velcro closures and you don't like the ones with zippers, then there aren't many other options.

Nope. Thus the reason for my post. :) The more I go back and forth with this though I'm thinking those Kahtoolas are going to be the ones that come closest to what I want so I'm just going to have to deal with the zipper.

I rarely wear them and only when the trails are covered in leaves and debris may get in my boots do I even think I might want them otherwise. (keeping snow out of the boots in winter is vital so not much thought on a full day hike or overnight)

The Velcro ones from OR are designed to work in conditions that might foul a zipper like ice, or a lot of dirt/mud. OR products are usually designed to work in bad conditions. Ones from trail shoes are designed for conditions they customers are likely to find. mid-to late fall up near treeline in the Presidentials where a few inches of snow and ice and mud where the snow is melting like last week in the warm temps and then leaf debris down low.

I'm actually not a lover of gaiters but in some conditions, I wear them. I wear the Black Diamond Talus Gaiters. The hook in the front keeps the gaiter from riding up and the strap on the bottom is optional, I do no use a strap. They do have Velcro, but its an effective and sound method of keeping them closed. They are bombproof, unlike many others that will not last years. Trust me, you will overlook the Velcro.

I'm actually not a lover of gaiters but in some conditions, I wear them. I wear the Black Diamond Talus Gaiters. The hook in the front keeps the gaiter from riding up and the strap on the bottom is optional, I do no use a strap. They do have Velcro, but its an effective and sound method of keeping them closed. They are bombproof, unlike many others that will not last years. Trust me, you will overlook the Velcro.

That doesn't look like a bad design. Interesting that the hook on front bends up instead of down like most others. I'm guessing that probably keeps them on better having to go up and under the lace? Have to keep these in mind as another option.

I've had a few different brands. None of the manufacturers really gets everything right. My comments:

>Velcro is OK; works pretty well if it is the "Industrial Strength" type (with higher holding power than the "standard" velcro). You need to know that the higher strength version is used. If they don't tell you, you have to handle it to find out (the difference in holding strength is pretty obvious). The other thing to do is remove sewn in labels that interfere with the velcro. For example, OR sews their big floppy product labels into the seam next to the velcro (probably the cheapest way to do it), and these interfere with the velcro closure; you have to cut them out of there.

>I agree with concerns about zippers; they can fail, and typically are hard to repair in the field.

>"Up pointing" hook is a bad idea; avoid. It's a classic example of "too clever by half" where some designer just wants to do something different. I had a pair with the up hook (I think they were from EMS) and that thing collects all kinds of debris from the forest; you'll constantly have a pile of sticks, leaves, grass, etc. on top of your foot.

>Under foot strap: How much you need this depends on your shoes. Probably optional with a high or mid height shoe; I have tried gaiters without an under foot strap with lower height trail runners, and the gaiter usually slips up over the top of the shoe at the heel and allows debris into the shoe. Also you are right to suspect the durability of the under foot strap. That component takes a heck of a beating, being on the bottom of your shoe, and most "original equipment" under foot straps are flimsy. Many folks end up having to do a "home made" replacement with more durable material.

For high gaiters I have an old (fairly torn up) pair of OR Crocodiles. Probably due for a replacement soon. For low gaiters, I am using OR Rocky Mountain low. The fabric is a little bunchy, which I don't prefer. I used to wear OR Flex Tex, but OR destroyed that model when they went to the "Flex Tex 2" a few years ago. They degraded the product in several ways, and doubled the price. So I switched to the older Rocky Mountain Low, and I put up with the bunchy fabric.

I use two - trail runners + Dirty Girls and boots + OR crocodile (winter). The latter is about as bulletproof as you can get, in my experience. All other under foot straps fail rather quickly, again in my experience. Granted, these don't get much use on rocks, except during shoulder season, and as you might (also) expect, the lugs remain in good shape longer as well, all thanks to microspikes and/or snowshoes (which both take quite a beating.)

I used to use the Rocky Mountain low gaiters but the straps wouldn't last an entire summer in "The Granite State".

OR will replace anything that is broken or even worn out for no charge, so they've got that going for them.

TIm

OR will replace anything that is broken or even worn out for no charge, so they've got that going for them.

TIm

They are enforcing "normal wear and tear" much more than they used to. I scream through Crocodiles (I only get about a season from the expedition ones) and they have stopped replacing them for me. The foot straps always wear through the gaiter right above where they are sewn to it and the velcro always comes unraveled past the seam then separates from the gaiter.

They are enforcing "normal wear and tear" much more than they used to. I scream through Crocodiles (I only get about a season from the expedition ones) and they have stopped replacing them for me. The foot straps always wear through the gaiter right above where they are sewn to it and the velcro always comes unraveled past the seam then separates from the gaiter.

How many miles? Any "failures" I've had were due to my snagging them on a snowshoe / crampon and tearing them... easily sewn and covered with duct tape and good for years to come.

Tim

How many miles? Any "failures" I've had were due to my snagging them on a snowshoe / crampon and tearing them... easily sewn and covered with duct tape and good for years to come.

Tim

My Verglas ones were done in about 50 miles. My regular Crocodiles made it to about 100-150. I'm on my third pair of expedition Crocodiles and they have been marginally more durable than the regular Crocodiles, 150-200 miles per pair. Meanwhile, my current DG gaiters just finished their third season and have over 1000 3-season miles on them.

I got about 5 years / 1200 miles out of my Dirty Girls. There are few small holes, and the Velcro is nearly detached (it could be sewn back on but it's not that sticky any more)... for $20, not a hard decision to replace them.

I am probably at 500 (winter) miles on my Crocodiles. And, I am notoriously hard on my gear, in part because I am 6'3" and 200 pounds, with a size 13/47 shoe/boot.

Tim

My Verglas ones were done in about 50 miles. My regular Crocodiles made it to about 100-150. I'm on my third pair of expedition Crocodiles and they have been marginally more durable than the regular Crocodiles, 150-200 miles per pair. Meanwhile, my current DG gaiters just finished their third season and have over 1000 3-season miles on them.

My Winter gaiters are a rugged OR model (not sure which one). I've been using them since I bought them (at least 5 years now maybe) and at least durability wise they've held up well. I put a good tear in them from a crampon point and the buckles are metal and kind of a pain if I adjust to different boots. They have the wide strip of industrial velcro which holds well but it never seems to join straight. I always have to screw around with it a bit to get the two strips lined up along the length because of how tall they are. Stiff fabric tends to "pucker" and requires a little evening out to get on right.

I like OR gear and their stuff seems to be one of the few brands that fits me well but they don't seem to be in the same ball park quality wise as other companies I buy from. I've noticed broken stitches on seams and had several pocket issues, such as the "weld" on the thigh pocket of my soft shell pants coming apart. No critical failures of any kind but the types of things that make you wonder about long term quality.