Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NH Mask Mandate in Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Masks have never been touted to be 100% effective. Yes, it's going to spread no matter what, but masks reduce the spread. Less people sick, less opportunities for others getting sick. If 1 in 100 are sick, is it not understandable that you have a higher risk of catching it vs. 1 in 10,000?

Masks are better at preventing outgoing droplets containing the virus from spreading into the air. There was a recent study that says they MAY provide some incoming protection as well, but perhaps not much. So your co-worker likely became infected a) because he let his guard down somewhere, b) someone else with COVID near him wasn't wearing a mask or c) sometimes unlikely scenarios happen (aka statistics) where an infected person is wearing a mask, some amount of droplets escape, and get through the infectee's mask. There's plenty of videos where the lighting shows all the spittle that comes out of your mouth just from talking. How hard is it to understand a mask is an effective barrier against sending out those droplets? Do you cover your mouth when you sneeze?

If you have actual evidence of how this is a placation/placebo device, and I don't mean a one-off "insider" report, I mean good enough for court evidence, I'd be willing to reconsider. Otherwise, I think it's a disservice to others' health by spreading this kind of information around. People are dying, and I'm not saying this is you by any stretch, but I'm tired of hearing "well, it's mostly the elderly." That's someone's Mom, Grandad, Uncle, Friend etc.
    He isn't spreading "information". He's stating his opinion, to which he is entitled. As are we all.

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    He isn't spreading "information". He's stating his opinion, to which he is entitled. As are we all.
    You're right, he's spreading misinformation. Science isn't subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Surely New Hampshire will see a significant drop in cases within a week or two because of the mask mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    Surely New Hampshire will see a significant drop in cases within a week or two because of the mask mandate.
    Maybe. Masks aren't the only variable. Given the general attitude of the state towards perceived slights on their liberty, I wouldn't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    If he were spreading misinformation, he would be quoting some debunked/faulty/questionable study as fact.

Well, scientific principles are not subjective. However, two scientists can few the same data and draw different conclusions. That sounds a little subjective to me.

It will be interesting this winter to see how many people actually follow through on recommended practices such as social distancing. Good luck trying to maintain 6 feet of distance while Microspiking in the Whites. If ever there was a time to hike in snowshoes...
    I hadn't even thought of that. Yikes. That'll be interesting for sure. Can you imagine the combination mask/posthole post rage that is going to erupt on Facebook this Winter?!?! God forbid that person has an unleashed dog with them....
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    If he were spreading misinformation, he would be quoting some debunked/faulty/questionable study as fact.

Well, scientific principles are not subjective. However, two scientists can few the same data and draw different conclusions. That sounds a little subjective to me.
    There have been literally hundreds of studies on the effectiveness of masks and the overwhelming consensus is that masks work, and how effective they are is a function of the material they are made of and whether or not they are worn properly. I'm not sure why at this point we're still having arguments about this. It's like we're arguing about whether or not the Earth is flat....
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Not the only obvious conclusion in the news that is being debated despite significant evidence to the contrary

I keep a face mask in my waist pack when I’m hiking, just in case I might need it which would be rare. I hike alone generally and try to use lesser known trails (which I prefer). I would use it if I can’t “socially distance”, but haven’t had to yet. Otherwise I’m not wearing it !

I never stayed home from hiking since the pandemic started. It was actually nice having parks like Kearsarge to myself. I started using the Buff, super easy, but they came out and said one layer was useless. I then went to the bandanna doubled up bandito style, super easy to pull up and comfortable when down. I then started just getting off the trail and letting people pass, its a must for me, because everybody, wants to pet my dog. At this point I just get out of peoples way, I'll stick to the bandanna as it's much more comfortable then any mask. I have a bunch of mask for the real world.

I like to use a Hannibal Lector mask when hiking. It doesn't prevent the spread of particles, but it scares people away (especially when they have young children with them).

Being serious, I hike and cycle without a mask, but keep one handy if I encounter people. I was on the Lincoln Woods Trail last weekend and wore my mask quite often, due to the groups of people wearing jeans and blocking the trail. Once I hit the Osseo Trail, I only encountered 5 other hikers.
    "The goggles, they do nothing!"

- Raineer Wolfcastle

Out of curiosity, should they write u a ticket, don't they need to cite on ticket which LAW you violated? Exec order are not laws. I've heard many of these tix are tossed.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I like to use a Hannibal Lector mask when hiking. It doesn't prevent the spread of particles, but it scares people away (especially when they have young children with them).
    I would think that the Yankees cap would accomplish that...
    Last edited by maineguy; 11-20-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rup View Post
    Out of curiosity, should they write u a ticket, don't they need to cite on ticket which LAW you violated? Exec order are not laws. I've heard many of these tix are tossed.
    You are correct, it is not a law. There is no penalty for individuals who do not comply with this mandate.

Sadly, the places with the heaviest COVID regulations in the state (nursing homes) continue to be hot spots, which suggests the COVID regulations don't do much in the grand scheme of things. As the cliche goes, "virus gonna virus."

You are correct, it is not a law. There is no penalty for individuals who do not comply with this mandate.
    So it's an optional mandate !?!?! What would be the purpose of the whole process if anyone could just say "Yah I'm not doing that"? Is the same true at the Federal level? Seems like an awful lot of action taking place based on the directions in Presidential executive orders. Why would businesses follow them either if it didn't suit their agendas?

Some context: "An executive order is a means of issuing federal directives in the United States, used by the president of the United States, that manages operations of the federal government. The legal or constitutional basis for executive orders has multiple sources. Article Two of the United States Constitution gives the president broad executive and enforcement authority to use their discretion to determine how to enforce the law or to otherwise manage the resources and staff of the executive branch. The ability to make such orders is also based on expressed or implied Acts of Congress that delegate to the president some degree of discretionary power (delegated legislation)." So I'm assuming governors also have some level of "delegated legislative power" and thus they executive actions that do indeed carry the full power of law.

Any lawyers out there who want to weigh in?

EDIT: Some more added context from my state (CT): https://www.cga.ct.gov/2020/rpt/pdf/2020-R-0131.pdf.
    Last edited by DayTrip; 11-20-2020 at 08:57 PM.