Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NH Mask Mandate in Effect

I think it only suggests that people aren't following the mandates. Studies show people in rural areas are less likely to wear masks. Despite the mandate in ND, ND and SD have the same percentages of people wearing masks. These measures are only effective if people follow them. It's usually the ones not following them saying they don't work. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    ...ND and SD have the same percentages of people wearing masks...
    Do we actually know this? Or is this conjecture?

Does anyone have a link to the science?
    all I hear is "trust the science". I have yet to see any data that is science. If you think I trust anything government agencies say, I have a bridge in a desert to sell you.

It behooves you to be skeptical. Form your own opinions. Do you think studies funded by the very people who would benefit from the studies are to be trusted, believed? Tell me you are not that naive.

Show me the science. Let me make choices for myself.
    "Live free or die" state, indeed. More like "follow me, sheep!"

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    all I hear is "trust the science". I have yet to see any data that is science. If you think I trust anything government agencies say, I have a bridge in a desert to sell you.

It behooves you to be skeptical. Form your own opinions. Do you think studies funded by the very people who would benefit from the studies are to be trusted, believed? Tell me you are not that naive.

Do I need to bring my snowshoes?
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Surely a cloth face mask will save us from a virus! The same government told us that "duck and cover" will save us from a nuclear bomb!

You have the "right to remain silent" too!! haha
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

None of the actions taken seem to be based on science. Why would the state close hiking trails but still maintain sales of lottery tickets and keep liquor stores open?
    It's a lot like fun, but different.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    None of the actions taken seem to be based on science. Why would the state close hiking trails but still maintain sales of lottery tickets and keep liquor stores open?
    Because they value economic health above human health

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    The state did not close trails. The USFS did (actually only closed parking lots).
    The State kept the liquor stores and lottery open.
    Different people making different decisions.
    WM 48 / NE 67 / NE 100 / W48 / |62.4%
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Region Leader Presidentials-North
    Trail adopter Carrigain Notch Tr, Stillwater Jct to Nancy Pond Tr.

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Do we actually know this? Or is this conjecture?
    https://covidcast.cmu.edu/?sensor=fb...e=WI&region=SD

This is the best I could find. 2 weeks ago, which is what the infection stats usually reflect, it was 76% and 80%. Current use is closer to 80 and 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    https://covidcast.cmu.edu/?sensor=fb...e=WI&region=SD

This is the best I could find. 2 weeks ago, which is what the infection stats usually reflect, it was 76% and 80%. Current use is closer to 80 and 90%.
    "Percentage of people who wear a mask most or all of the time while in public, based on surveys of Facebook users"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smilelaugh.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	6522  

Very few people are skeptical precisely because they make decisions based on emotion and not based on science, analytics and facts, and they are programmed to believe the media, the vast majority of which has no foundation in science or the scientific method. Our educational system has of course failed in this regard, as there is not enough focus IMO on science. People don’t want to think for themselves or be personally accountable.

For the mask debate, you start with science. From there, in any society there are going to be further decisions based on other factors, such as economics and necessity. And then, fundamentally, we have to decide whether we are going to compromise our individual liberty vs be like China (to use an extreme example). The answers are not easy for sure.

I’m skeptical. I have my reasons, beliefs and opinions why, but I’ll keep them to myself because I’d rather not upset some of you more than I’m sure I already have.
    Last edited by richard; 11-27-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    "Percentage of people who wear a mask most or all of the time while in public, based on surveys of Facebook users"
    Admittedly, it made me cringe too. But facebook users are people too. And there's a lot of them.