Mass just added NH and Maine to the travel restrictions list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The list of exceptions is significant. You can easily fit into one of them if you so desire. I’m not advocating either way. I’m curious how these orders get enforced. Are there roadblocks and checkpoints at the borders? These orders all seem voluntary and it seems the more you tell people not to do X the more inclined they are to do X.

Last edited:
The list of exceptions is significant. You can easily fit into one of them if you so desire. I’m not advocating either way. I’m curious how these orders get enforced. Are there roadblocks and checkpoints at the borders? These orders all seem voluntary and it seems the more you tell people not to do X the more inclined they are to do X.

Unenforceable edicts...

Critical life activities

Here is the list of exceptions. I guess I could count the NH State store as a shopping trip. While I think hiking is critical, MA does not. Luckily I can mtn bike MA and have a good time.

The state also exempts certain short, same-day trips across the border and back that are designated as “critical life activities,” such as grocery shopping, visits to pharmacies, attending appointments with licensed health care providers, visiting someone receiving treatment in hospitals or residing in congregate care settings, attending religious or memorial services, or attending to the care needs of family members.

When it comes to these often arbitrary edicts as they relate to travel, there is a substantial difference between something that comes down from your own state and something that comes down from a state to which you may want to travel.

As I mentioned in the NH mask thread, I went for a hike in New Hampshire close to two weeks ago now. Traveled by car, didn’t stop anywhere except for gas in Vermont on the way home and kept my distance from others during my solo outdoors hike. Not only is NH more low risk than NY, but my activities while out of state for 8 or 10 hours gave me pretty much a zero mathematical chance of contracting COVID. But according to the current rules in NY, I was supposed to fill out a travel form and get COVID tested on my fourth day back, which wound up costing me $230 since insurance didn’t cover it.

So why did I go through the hassle when I knew I couldn’t have possibly contacted COVID out of state? Simply stated, because my employer has directed those of us who work on site to follow all New York State rules as they relate to COVID. Every day when I show up, I get temperature screened and have to answer a series of questions ... and I’m not going to lie or potentially jeopardize my employment over a hike.

Conversely, when it comes to travel to say Vermont at the moment, I am aware of the quarantine rules in place now that mirror those that were in place back in the spring. So while I factor that into the decision-making process, New York is not telling me to not travel to Vermont (it’s a contiguous state) so I am not at all concerned about potential repercussions at my job. If the spirit moves me to go hiking in Vermont, then I can still isolate by staying in my car while en route to the trailhead and doing nothing more than solo hike an obscure peak.

Last edited:
Here is the list of exceptions. I guess I could count the NH State store as a shopping trip. While I think hiking is critical, MA does not. Luckily I can mtn bike MA and have a good time.

The state also exempts certain short, same-day trips across the border and back that are designated as “critical life activities,”

Hiking is a “critical life activity” for me. ;)

I do not believe there is any restriction between ME and NH regarding travel...at least for now.

Sure. VT/CT were conspicuously absent. I actually drove into the Hancock and Lincoln Woods lots to see what the makeup of plates was. Probably MA and NH in equal numbers. Skiing will be interesting this winter.

Tim

When people, or their family members, get sick because they attended weddings or other large occasions where they ignore medical recommendations, am I supposed to feel bad? (It's another version of Russian Roulette but with better odds than 1 in 6)

Some of the millions in airports will get sick, some of their family and or friends will die. Doctors would never tell you "I told you so". I'm not a doctor and I certainly have not stayed at a Holiday Inn lately.

Last edited:
I'm now banned from MA. Oh the humanity, I never go down there anyway, it's on my list of worst states in the country. I drive through it, but rarely stop in it. I'm all set with the restriction.