Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maine is rebuilding old fire towers

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    Thanks for that lookout tower specification. Very cool. I do know that the Carrigain and Osceola towers were identical. I never saw the Garfield tower. I also recently learned that there was, for a short time, a fire tower on Shaw.
    There is an working tower on Mount Belknap. Last time I visited it when it was manned the ranger was talking to the tower on Kersarge (south).
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    There is an working tower on Mount Belknap. Last time I visited it when it was manned the ranger was talking to the tower on Kersarge (south).
    The tower on Green Mt in Effingham was manned as late as the early 80's. Was there once and the observer let us into the cabin for a look. I noticed a telephone and asked if I could have the number to call for a weather report prior to going hiking and he said sure. Never did call but I thought it was nice of him to offer.

The tower on Green Mt in Effingham was manned as late as the early 80's. Was there once and the observer let us into the cabin for a look. I noticed a telephone and asked if I could have the number to call for a weather report prior to going hiking and he said sure. Never did call but I thought it was nice of him to offer.
    Did Green in August and tower was there in good condx. But trees have grown so much they obscured the view from platform under the cabin. Warden's cabin was also in good shape and locked up.

Did Green in August and tower was there in good condx. But trees have grown so much they obscured the view from platform under the cabin. Warden's cabin was also in good shape and locked up.
    Good to know, it was one mountain that I havent climbed and sounds like its best visited in the winter

Here is a low quality scanned photo looking north from the tower cabin in 85. In the foreground you can see Leavitt, Broad and (a little bit of) Berry Bays. You can no longer see these due to tree growth. I haven't been back in a long time, so not sure what the view is like now. In the 60s you look almost straight down and see NH 25.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GREEN MT.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	6520
    Last edited by maineguy; 11-24-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Here is a low quality scanned photo looking north from the tower cabin in 85. In the foreground you can see Leavitt, Broad and (a little bit of) Berry Bays. You can no longer see these due to tree growth. I haven't been back in a long time, so not sure what the view is like now. In the 60s you look almost straight down and see NH 25.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GREEN MT.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	6520
    The Green Mt. Tower has been recently rehabbed and is still manned when needed. There is a great view from Hanson Top a short walk to the West of the main Summit.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Good to know, it was one mountain that I havent climbed and sounds like its best visited in the winter
    It's a nice walk. We did the loop with the road walk back to the car. Skis might be fun on the road sections.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Why does everyone call them Rangers? (Is this a western title?)

At least here, they were called Observers.

Rangers, (as the name implies), range around, and in some cases were the person to whom the Observer reported. But I doubt Rangers sat in towers all day.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

I wish the tower mess on Mt Zircon would get cleaned up. "They" just knocked it over. When my GF and I first started hiking, that was one of our training hikes for an eventual Katahdin summit later that year. We were resting and I mentioned that there was a fire tower at the summit. We thought we were at the summit. We looked for the fire tower and found it lying on its side on the exposed ledges about 100 feet where we were sitting. Still one of my least favorite hikes that I remember.