Maine is rebuilding old fire towers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a low quality scanned photo looking north from the tower cabin in 85. In the foreground you can see Leavitt, Broad and (a little bit of) Berry Bays. You can no longer see these due to tree growth. I haven't been back in a long time, so not sure what the view is like now. In the 60s you look almost straight down and see NH 25.

View attachment 6520
The Green Mt. Tower has been recently rehabbed and is still manned when needed. There is a great view from Hanson Top a short walk to the West of the main Summit.

Good to know, it was one mountain that I havent climbed and sounds like its best visited in the winter

It's a nice walk. We did the loop with the road walk back to the car. Skis might be fun on the road sections.

There is an working tower on Mount Belknap. Last time I visited it when it was manned the ranger was talking to the tower on Kersarge (south).
Why does everyone call them Rangers? (Is this a western title?)

At least here, they were called Observers.

Rangers, (as the name implies), range around, and in some cases were the person to whom the Observer reported. But I doubt Rangers sat in towers all day.

I wish the tower mess on Mt Zircon would get cleaned up. "They" just knocked it over. When my GF and I first started hiking, that was one of our training hikes for an eventual Katahdin summit later that year. We were resting and I mentioned that there was a fire tower at the summit. We thought we were at the summit. We looked for the fire tower and found it lying on its side on the exposed ledges about 100 feet where we were sitting. Still one of my least favorite hikes that I remember.