Katahdin - #2 hike in the world

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In terms of the East, Katahdin is certainly the most majestic peak around. But if you go out West to the Sierras or the CO Rockies, its not even close to being number two.

But at what point does a hike become a scramble ... or a climb? As awesome as it is, Katahdin, by any route, is safely in the “hike” category.

As far as outdoors stuff goes, few things irk me more than downgrading an obvious climb or mountaineering objective to a hike. For example ... “Did you enjoy your hike to the summit of Rainier?” :mad:

I rarely have found anyone that has not ranked a trip up to BSP as a highpoint of their New England hiking experiences (assuming they had gone through the hoops for reservations and had a good weather). I am always someone what sad for the folks who do the long weekend tripto knock off the list peaks who do not have time to get to experience the rest of the park.

My guess is BSP will probably have clueless folks showing up at the gate this summer wanting to climb Katahdin since its on this list :(

I am always someone what sad for the folks who do the long weekend tripto knock off the list peaks who do not have time to get to experience the rest of the park.

Don't downplay my peakbagging experience. I've been only four times, three of which would qualify as "knocking off the list peaks" and they were all (all 4) memorable, top-10 outdoors experiences. The fourth was to the north end for The Traveller, South Branch, Doubletop and some kayaking, but even those peaks are on a list.

Tim

Nothing against your experiences at BSP. The standard response with respect to many traditional New England 4Ks or maybe 100 highest listers I run into are "they have been up to Baxter" I then ask them how many times and where did they go. The typical response is they have been once maybe twice to bag the list peaks. Typical was drive up the night before, maybe sleep in their car at the gate, next morning do the Coe, Brothers and Fort loop, then do the Cathedral via Chimney Pond up to Baxter Peak and Hamlin on the way down and head home. Maybe they added in Pamola and the Knifes Edge in place of Cathedral. Sure if the weather was right they had great memorable hikes but they missed out on the North end of the park and the north end of Baxter. My comparison is climbing Washington via Tucks and skipping the Northern Presis, then swinging by Franconia Ridge the next day and heading home having "climbed the whites".

Maybe you have or maybe you havent been up the Northwest Basin to the Northwest Plateau or the Howes Peaks ridge via the Northern Peaks trail or Wassataquoik lake but they are all part of what I would consider the essential Baxter.

Just for fun, during my most recent Baxter State Park trip, I went back in my mind and counted all of my lifetime trips to BSP. Was a big gap from 1996 to 2012, but I’ve been making up for lost time since then.

September 1996 - On consecutive days, I hiked Baxter Peak and Hamlin Ridge via the old Abol Slide approach on day 1 and then North Brother on day 2.

September 2012 - Coe and South Brother.

September 2013 - Fort by going over North Brother again.

July 2016 - Pamola Peak from Roaring Brook campground via the Helen Taylor Trail.

August 2020 - Baxter Peak via the new Abol Slide approach. So much fun to compare this hike to my original hike 24 years earlier.

October 2020 - Traveler Loop. Maybe the most memorable of all. :)

Have moved towards working on the Northeast P2K peaks so will be back at least one more time for Doubletop. Good times.

Last edited:
Nothing against your experiences at BSP. The standard response with respect to many traditional New England 4Ks or maybe 100 highest listers I run into are "they have been up to Baxter" I then ask them how many times and where did they go. The typical response is they have been once maybe twice to bag the list peaks. Typical was drive up the night before, maybe sleep in their car at the gate, next morning do the Coe, Brothers and Fort loop, then do the Cathedral via Chimney Pond up to Baxter Peak and Hamlin on the way down and head home. Maybe they added in Pamola and the Knifes Edge in place of Cathedral. Sure if the weather was right they had great memorable hikes but they missed out on the North end of the park and the north end of Baxter. My comparison is climbing Washington via Tucks and skipping the Northern Presis, then swinging by Franconia Ridge the next day and heading home having "climbed the whites".

Maybe you have or maybe you havent been up the Northwest Basin to the Northwest Plateau or the Howes Peaks ridge via the Northern Peaks trail or Wassataquoik lake but they are all part of what I would consider the essential Baxter.
Everyone has their own goals and criteria for what might be one's personal "Essential Baxter". I've done all the hikes you sight but they all really pale in comparison to any and all of the more technical routes in the park. Although I'm not going to try to dumb down anyone's personal experience as comparing notes on that level is like a pissing contest between two first grade boys. Baxter State Park is a gem no matter what you do or how many times you go.

Everyone has their own goals and criteria for what might be one's personal "Essential Baxter". I've done all the hikes you sight but they all really pale in comparison to any and all of the more technical routes in the park. Although I'm not going to try to dumb down anyone's personal experience as comparing notes on that level is like a pissing contest between two first grade boys. Baxter State Park is a gem no matter what you do or how many times you go.

It's all good. My personal Baxter is Winter. The sense of isolation and wildness is amazing.

Went up and down Abol this July 2020 on a perfect summit day. My 4th time and everytime it was spectacular.

OTOH, I failed twice in the winter ascent due to high winds. It is harder to pick a summit day in the winter

Very true. We've been lucky in that regard but still have been skunked a few times.

Going in for 5 days at a stretch ups your odds considerably. Plus it's cool to be there and just hang out for a day or two to rest and explore your surroundings.

I've always skied but am interested in doing a Fat Bike sled haul to Roaring Brook.