Running low on Winter Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A local newspaper had an article that backcountry ski gear was getting hard to find due to high demand and a major supply issue in Europe. I wonder if other winter toys like traction aids and snowshoes are going to be tough to find this winter?. The offset to this is the apparent late start to winter which may damp down the demand until snow is on the ground.

One of my Hillsounds after years of good service failed but I replaced it a month or so ago so I am good for winter. The trade off is I expect it will give folks one more excuse to go out in the woods with inadequate gear.

I was concerned about same last week as we were considering getting our son his first 'real' snowshoes for Christmas this year. I instantly panicked when reflecting on every other buying trend this year. Went online and checked Atlas' website and it seemed they had nothing of what we were looking for in stock; not sure if it was due to not having released the new model/color yet, or sold out already for this years run....... I have always struggled with needing to replace something within a season, only to find the only stock available are the new releases for the upcoming season as retail marketing forces demand..... I did find the model I was looking for through Amazon, although it felt like scoring tickets on Ticketmaster with all kinds of "Hurry-Only 3 Left" warnings on the product pages.

Hmm...maybe there's gold in the pile of skis down-cellar. Although who still considers an 80-60-70 a 'shaped' backcountry ski?

You'd think with all the insane deals and promotions right now there is plenty of product in inventory to unload but who knows. Logistics is as big of a problem as inventory right now: overwhelmed carriers, customs issues, staffing at ports, etc. I saw a segment on CNBC this week that estimated the "supply chain" will have 7 million packages per day beyond it's capacity added each day heading into Christmas and to expect epic delays because it is going to get seriously overwhelmed. I order online fairly regularly through Amazon and others like Moosejaw, Backcountry, etc and haven't really had any real issues with inventory or shipping since the Summer surge has wound down but that is all probably about to change.

Many of us recall the dramatic shortages of Summer toys this year like bikes, kayaks, tents and other popular gear. If the "everyone getting outside" trend continues through the Winter with Winter activities it wouldn't be much of a surprise to see a lot of popular items hard to find. Although I'd think with all the travel barriers and ski resort limitations it may not be as big of a draw and drain on inventory with downhill skiing as other sports and activities.

Hmm...maybe there's gold in the pile of skis down-cellar. Although who still considers an 80-60-70 a 'shaped' backcountry ski?

I have some K2 205's in my Uncle's woodshed from "back in the day" I should probably put online.... :p

But to your point, used gear commanded exceptional pricing this year. I tried desperately to find a kayak this Summer and it was not unusual to see used kayaks listed at just a handfull of $$$ below full retail. I have a friend that had a 2 year old road bike he was thinking of getting rid of to upgrade so he figured just for the hell of it he'd put it online. He sold it the same day for a few hundred $$ less than he paid for it (It was an expensive touring cycle of some sort. I think he paid $2500 for it initially or somewhere in that neighborhood. It was in good condition).

Its not just outdoor goods. The entire supply chain is slowing down. Intel and AMD are experiencing chip shortages due to their supply chain running out of supplies. Consequently, my employer is trying to replace computers and we have two month lead times for the models we want. I ordered a new truck early in March and it wasn't delivered until July because those manufacturers shut down.

Things are about to get real lean around here.

Try buying ammo:(

I hear you on that. You have to drive around and get lucky in NH. I bought a new 22 and mentioned the lack of ammou to a guy. He said, I'll trade for something. I traded some 9mm for 300 rounds of CCI 22LR, it felt like Christmas, lol.

A local newspaper had an article that backcountry ski gear was getting hard to find due to high demand and a major supply issue in Europe. I wonder if other winter toys like traction aids and snowshoes are going to be tough to find this winter?. The offset to this is the apparent late start to winter which may damp down the demand until snow is on the ground.

One of my Hillsounds after years of good service failed but I replaced it a month or so ago so I am good for winter. The trade off is I expect it will give folks one more excuse to go out in the woods with inadequate gear.

My problem is just the opposite: I look at my gear closet and wonder if I'm every going to use all that winter camping gear again! Sleds and tents and crampons -- OH MY!

I want to finish my Winter 4ks this season since it's a good "distanced" Covid project. We'll see...

My problem is just the opposite: I look at my gear closet and wonder if I'm every going to use all that winter camping gear again! Sleds and tents and crampons -- OH MY!

I want to finish my Winter 4ks this season since it's a good "distanced" Covid project. We'll see...

I just started the Winter 4k's last year before Covid hit. Its a goal, I'll finish them when I finish them, if I ever do. I'm much pickier on when I'll hike in the winter above treeline. The 52WAV hikes are pretty awesome for Winter hikes, anyway.

I can emphasize Chris,. I have the gear and the ability but not the motivation to go on on less than perfect days. I am considering selling my plastic mountaineering boots as the pain inflicted does not equal the possible enjoyment. No doubt I could equip several folks with adequate gear out of my inventory. Maybe in year and a half when work is just memory, I will start using it more ;)

I can emphasize Chris,. I have the gear and the ability but not the motivation to go on on less than perfect days. I am considering selling my plastic mountaineering boots as the pain inflicted does not equal the possible enjoyment. No doubt I could equip several folks with adequate gear out of my inventory. Maybe in year and a half when work is just memory, I will start using it more ;)

Of course another conundrum is my declining endurance and advancing age. Trips that were once 12 hour slogs are now mandatory over-nights. And then there’s the solo aspect to consider.

I’ve got about 20 winter fours to go and we ain’t escaping to the FL Keys this winter, so hey, it could happen!