climbing partner

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_hilgeman

Reaction score
Hi All,

well, spring is here, i'm new to the area, and I need a climbing partner. A little background on myself:

most of my climbing experience is from Washington state, where I believe the climbing ratings are easier than they are here. I have experience with 4 season mountaineering, BC skiing, multipitch climbs, and long high mileage high elevation gain hiking. No ice climbing but northeast ice is very tempting.
Anyway, about two years ago, I had a serious fall (60' straight to the ground) and I have since been somewhat anxious when I climb and get up high. After the accident, my climbing almost stopped but I couldn't stay away and I have been getting back into it slowly. I have since been to the gym a hanful of times and did one multi pitch climb out west. I am not too sure but I feel that I am at about 5.6 - 5.7 right now (my left arm was broken and I need to get it strong again). Anyway, I am exceptionally safety conscious now and I prefer the security of a partner who is also very safety conscious.
My goals for this summer are to climb "Sliding Board" in Mount Washington Valley, the Whitney-Gillman Ridge on Cannon Cliff, and "the Armadillo" on Mt. Katahdin.
Anyway, if anyone would like to meet up at a gym or some local crags, please send me an email. I live in Melrose, MA so the Black and White Rocks are the best place for me to meet and train, though I am willing to go anywhere within T distance of the city. I do have a car, but usually only use it to leave the city. My email is [email protected]

Thanks and enjoy the summer!

hey dude FYI, Cannon cliff has been extremely unstable as of late, just ask the old man :eek: Ive done many routes on Cannon, but in light of the unstability of the cliff in the last few years have stayed off. Whitney Gilman being a ridge is somewhat safer then the big wall section, but many large blocks have also fallen off the ridge itself and it has been the sight of many rescues. Im not trying to scare you off, people still climb up there for sure, but since your new here, I thought Id share this info with you, imo Cannon is not safe any longer, the margin is to thin imo.

Last edited:
thanks sierra - thats really useful info. I wouldn't have otherwise known. I might take the ridge off my list.