Mount Washington Cog Railway running on weekends, holiday periods this winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So one person per seat instead of two, otherwise a body in every seat. Thanks but no thanks

The article says this is the first time they have run it in winter, but I'm fairly confident that's not true.

I'm sure that like a lot of small-medium size North Country businesses they are doing whatever they can to survive the Covid economic downturn.

I wish them luck and hope this latest revenue generating initiative is lucrative.

From a hiking perspective, I look forward to trudging along their right-of-way at some point this winter and mooning the occasional Waumbec Special!

I'm sure that like a lot of small-medium size North Country businesses they are doing whatever they can to survive the Covid economic downturn.

I wish them luck and hope this latest revenue generating initiative is lucrative.

From a hiking perspective, I look forward to trudging along their right-of-way at some point this winter and mooning the occasional Waumbec Special!
That is going to be one ugly crack to follow.

It will be interesting how well it works if there is heavy snow winter.

They now have a huge snowblower mounted on the front of one of the Diesels. No problem with snow for the most part I think. And they only go up to the top of Cold Spring Hill which is just a bit over 4000 ft.

They should do well with that. The only thing is the ticket price of $40ish for an hour RT. Including drinks and other things like warming huts and fires. But they pack em in all season for $70 or so. Worth $40 for an hour at 4000 ft? We'll see.

Good luck to them and the new 35000 sq ft barn to house and maintain on site. New heavy duty rails and many other things. They deserve it after 151 yrs of chugging up and down that tough mountain. The men there are NH's finest.

Daniel Webster said "Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."

Ski Train

I worked at MWR the first year of the ski train and if I remember right that had a lot to do with them getting diesel engines: embers from teh old coal engines turned the snow an ugly, slushy gray! We offered some kind of deal combining a day ticket at Bretton Woods with transportation to and from The Cog and a trip or two up the train, I think, but I don't remember the details. I went once just for the novelty and it wasn't great. I did love working at the resort when the Presbys, Bedors, and Eameses owned it, though. I left soon after they sold it.

Wow. Looks like two trains at the Waumbec switch and plenty of passengers. Recent?

Not sure. Must be this past fall which is only a month or so behind us. Ha. And not sure what this all has to do with hiking. But I always love a good Cog story. I love there Facebook page. Loaded with old photos that show the area and life way way back.

Last edited:
The hiking aspect is that the cog has welcomed hikers to use the warming station. There are port potties and place to get out of the wind. Its not an official route to or from the summit in the winter but is frequently used. This is a potential high altitude refuge. i wonder when the first winter campers will start using it?.

I find that all of these matters affect the hiking community in one way or the other and appreciate the insights, current and historical. Other examples are ATV developments in the north country and the Balsams’ status.

Not sure. Must be this past fall which is only a month or so behind us. Ha. And not sure what this all has to do with hiking. But I always love a good Cog story. I love there Facebook page. Loaded with old photos that show the area and life way way back.

Here's one of my favorites for Cog pictures
https://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?railroad=Mount Washington Cog Railway

If you read the lengthy write up below those recent "putting away" images, it gives the flavor of some struggles for these mechanical mountain climbers.

Here's one of my favorites for Cog pictures
https://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?railroad=Mount Washington Cog Railway

If you read the lengthy write up below those recent "putting away" images, it gives the flavor of some struggles for these mechanical mountain climbers.

Thanks for the link for cog pictures. I was interested to see one photo with commentary about newly completed track upgrade from 25 to 100 LB/yard rail which no doubt enables new activities such as this. I had heard of the track project but never knew it entailed such huge upgrade in track size. The 100 LB/Yard track is major improvement which no doubt increases safety and enables activities not possible before. Check out this link to Cog web page describing track upgrade project. Note size difference between the track old versus new. Not to mention much of the old track was just that "OLD" like 100 years old. Presby should be applauded for bringing the Cog into 21st Century.

https://www.thecog.com/track-work