Another monolith removed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on! Seems if everyone started leaving whatever they want to anywhere they felt like it, nature that we all love would be a junkyard in no time at all. I have thrown away geo-caches before on the sides of trails that were terribly hidden. No reason to bring your litter into the Whites with you.

(Probably should combine this with the other "monolith" thread.)

It has long been interesting to observe that some user groups' man-made stuff is "OK" to leave in the woods, but other user groups' man-made stuff is "Not OK" to leave in the woods. I think it speaks to which group has the best-connected lobbyists.

(Probably should combine this with the other "monolith" thread.)

It has long been interesting to observe that some user groups' man-made stuff is "OK" to leave in the woods, but other user groups' man-made stuff is "Not OK" to leave in the woods. I think it speaks to which group has the best-connected lobbyists.

To paraphrase George Orwell: "all man-made stuff is equal, but some is more equal than others"

Right on! Seems if everyone started leaving whatever they want to anywhere they felt like it, nature that we all love would be a junkyard in no time at all. I have thrown away geo-caches before on the sides of trails that were terribly hidden. No reason to bring your litter into the Whites with you.
I'm not sure about National Forests, but NY tolerates Geocaches in Wild Forest areas (wilderness being the most protected designation), with prior permission.

I'm not sure about National Forests, but NY tolerates Geocaches in Wild Forest areas (wilderness being the most protected designation), with prior permission.

It seems to vary from unit to unit but they are banned from Wilderness and you need a special use permit that costs around $200 to place one outside wilderness or WSA's on a NF.

The DEC simply gave up after not being able to control the rush of people's critical need to place their junk at random places in the woods. At least now, a "legal" geocache must have the owner's name and address attached and in theory they can be tracked down. If not, then it is illegal trash to be discarded.

Covid-19 has people with too much time on their hands. You would have though 12/31/99 would have evoked some 2001 Monolith reference, however we were all too busy wondering if the world would stop and partying like it was _ _ _ _ :D

I like the general idea, however, LNT ethics and increasing the crowd isn't all that good. (If you snuck a Monolith on Monadnock, would it generate more traffic?) The CA group that took that monolith down and replaced it with a Cross, so they still left a man made item on top. (3rd rail electrified)

The DEC simply gave up after not being able to control the rush of people's critical need to place their junk at random places in the woods. At least now, a "legal" geocache must have the owner's name and address attached and in theory they can be tracked down. If not, then it is illegal trash to be discarded.
OK, then my post represents the Catskill situation.