Thread: Another monolith removed

Right on! Seems if everyone started leaving whatever they want to anywhere they felt like it, nature that we all love would be a junkyard in no time at all. I have thrown away geo-caches before on the sides of trails that were terribly hidden. No reason to bring your litter into the Whites with you.
    ne67/n.e.h.h.31/100w

(Probably should combine this with the other "monolith" thread.)

It has long been interesting to observe that some user groups' man-made stuff is "OK" to leave in the woods, but other user groups' man-made stuff is "Not OK" to leave in the woods. I think it speaks to which group has the best-connected lobbyists.

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    (Probably should combine this with the other "monolith" thread.)

It has long been interesting to observe that some user groups' man-made stuff is "OK" to leave in the woods, but other user groups' man-made stuff is "Not OK" to leave in the woods. I think it speaks to which group has the best-connected lobbyists.
    To paraphrase George Orwell: "all man-made stuff is equal, but some is more equal than others"

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
    Right on! Seems if everyone started leaving whatever they want to anywhere they felt like it, nature that we all love would be a junkyard in no time at all. I have thrown away geo-caches before on the sides of trails that were terribly hidden. No reason to bring your litter into the Whites with you.
    I'm not sure about National Forests, but NY tolerates Geocaches in Wild Forest areas (wilderness being the most protected designation), with prior permission.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    I'm not sure about National Forests, but NY tolerates Geocaches in Wild Forest areas (wilderness being the most protected designation), with prior permission.
    It seems to vary from unit to unit but they are banned from Wilderness and you need a special use permit that costs around $200 to place one outside wilderness or WSA's on a NF.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    The DEC simply gave up after not being able to control the rush of people's critical need to place their junk at random places in the woods. At least now, a "legal" geocache must have the owner's name and address attached and in theory they can be tracked down. If not, then it is illegal trash to be discarded.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Covid-19 has people with too much time on their hands. You would have though 12/31/99 would have evoked some 2001 Monolith reference, however we were all too busy wondering if the world would stop and partying like it was _ _ _ _

I like the general idea, however, LNT ethics and increasing the crowd isn't all that good. (If you snuck a Monolith on Monadnock, would it generate more traffic?) The CA group that took that monolith down and replaced it with a Cross, so they still left a man made item on top. (3rd rail electrified)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

https://apnews.com/article/new-phall...c9bbdafae4d95a

"Just days after a large phallus sculpture mysteriously disappeared from a Bavarian mountainside, a similar wooden carving has appeared in its place, German news agency dpa reported Thursday."

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    https://apnews.com/article/new-phall...c9bbdafae4d95a

"Just days after a large phallus sculpture mysteriously disappeared from a Bavarian mountainside, a similar wooden carving has appeared in its place, German news agency dpa reported Thursday."
    I encountered this while hiking in Yoho NP in the Canadian Rockies:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0085.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	6526

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
    The DEC simply gave up after not being able to control the rush of people's critical need to place their junk at random places in the woods. At least now, a "legal" geocache must have the owner's name and address attached and in theory they can be tracked down. If not, then it is illegal trash to be discarded.
    OK, then my post represents the Catskill situation.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Name:	60C98664-A573-43A3-A2E1-7EC326DE2AD9.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	6529
    Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    I encountered this while hiking in Yoho NP in the Canadian Rockies:

Name:	DSCF0085.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	6526
    Consider yourself lucky.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post

Name:	60C98664-A573-43A3-A2E1-7EC326DE2AD9.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	6529

Consider yourself lucky.
    Now THAT is funny!!