Waterproof Socks ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a review with some FAQ: http://bestreviews.com/best-waterproof-socks

breathability usually works when there is a humidity difference from one side to the other, not sure that atmosphere exist all that much inside a boot. Looks like there is a long term waterproof durability issue and most require special washing.

Personally, I'll pass as socks are not a part of my clothing /gear that I look at as being broken or needing an upgrade.

Here is a review with some FAQ: http://bestreviews.com/best-waterproof-socks

breathability usually works when there is a humidity difference from one side to the other, not sure that atmosphere exist all that much inside a boot. Looks like there is a long term waterproof durability issue and most require special washing.

Personally, I'll pass as socks are not a part of my clothing /gear that I look at as being broken or needing an upgrade.

If they would keep my feet dry and comfortable when hiking up and down water logged trails and crossing streams, I would try them for sure.

I think your best bet is waterproof boots and a good pair of gaiters. Also, wick socks help keep feet dry from perspiration.

I would never wear these socks. Your only asking for “Trench Foot”. That’s a no brainer Google.

Have any of you ever used these? I was considering trying them,but only if they are functional. https://www.randysun.com/collection...14e25&utm_content=search-产品词-waterproof socks

These seem like a high tech take on the old VBL (vapor barrier liner) approach. I’ve tried VBL and it does keep socks from absorbing sweat but also leads to yucky feet.

I think a better approach winter or summer is to have the boot waterproof and the socks absorbent. Many boots these days are built with a waterproof membrane between inner and outer layers.

If your feet sweat profusely just bring a few pairs of extra liner socks along.

The FAQs indicate that the socks themselves are 3-layers. There's a Coolmax liner, then a W/B membrane and then an outer sock. Like Mike P wrote, if the outer sock is wet there doesn't seem to be a reason for moisture to pass through the membrane.

Waterproof breathable clothing works by passing humidity from where it's high to where it's low. (is that diffusion or osmosis it's been 40+ years since HS) This is why G-Tex doesn't work well in the Amazon or other tropical high humidity environments. The Inside of your boot is pretty similar. Interestingly either in the review of the companies promo materials, there was a mention of wearing sandals with their socks. (Just like your dad or grandfather :eek:) That may be the ideal way for people to use the socks.

Waterproof breathable clothing works by passing humidity from where it's high to where it's low. (is that diffusion or osmosis it's been 40+ years since HS) This is why G-Tex doesn't work well in the Amazon or other tropical high humidity environments. The Inside of your boot is pretty similar. Interestingly either in the review of the companies promo materials, there was a mention of wearing sandals with their socks. (Just like your dad or grandfather :eek:) That may be the ideal way for people to use the socks.

I was considering using these (if they do what is claimed) with trail runners in the non winter months. I first heard mention of these from watching Appalachian Trail videos on YouTube ! My daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas. That’s why I thought of these. I don’t have a problem with sweaty feet. I thought others using this forum may have used them. Oh yeah, they’re supposed to be breathable.

Very general opinion here: My experience with "waterproof/breathable" materials is that they don't hold up well as handwear or footwear. Too many stresses and impacts. Jackets and pants hold up better, because the material is just draped most of the time, even when moving; not usually subject to the forces that handwear and footwear see.

(Now I'm testing a pair of the "waterproof/breathable" "TemRes" gloves from Showa, which have good reviews; maybe they will prove to be tougher than past items. I've worn them twice, and they have held up so far. Very waterproof, only a little breathable, but apparently pretty tough.)

Last edited:
Having read some of the reviews, it seems people use them for trail running, clamming, work, etc. I've not needed gear in some time and only look at buying stuff in North Conway at Ragged or the heavily discounted racks at EMS, Bean and some of the ski shops. Bought a reversible fleece vest for $9, and lined hiking pants for $18. passed on a $14 Softshell because for teh conditions I would wear it, I had at least two other options I'm happy with.

If on sale for $17.00 it may be worth a try and if you are okay with them not working and telling your daughter they weren't any good. (I couldn't break my daughter's heart that way = sorry back to my heartless self My wife has tried buying gear without asking with poor results.)

IMO, I'd opt for another headlamp

Last edited:
Have any of you ever used these? I was considering trying them,but only if they are functional. https://www.randysun.com/collection...14e25&utm_content=search-产品词-waterproof socks
\

I sweat profusely. Just the genes I have. There is a medical term for it. With that said. For 25 yrs I've gone Gortex Asolo 520's with Ragg Wool LLBean Socks year round. Hot humid summers. Below zero temps for day hikes. Never had bad feet,blisters or anything else. I've also got them soaking wet by stepping in deep water in below freezing temps and they kept me warm.

Anything with a barrier I agree will make it much worse in an active life style.

I have a pair. Only wore them on one hike of ~4 miles. It was a long time ago, but for that distance, they did what they were supposed to do. I was wearing normal trail-runners and hiking in a wet-rain/snow-soaked trail (depth under the height of the socks).

FWIW, I wasn't totally confident in the socks, so I had a spare pair of backup socks in my pack, but I never ended up using them.

I'd give em a try for <$20

I have a pair. Only wore them on one hike of ~4 miles. It was a long time ago, but for that distance, they did what they were supposed to do. I was wearing normal trail-runners and hiking in a wet-rain/snow-soaked trail (depth under the height of the socks).

FWIW, I wasn't totally confident in the socks, so I had a spare pair of backup socks in my pack, but I never ended up using them.

I'd give em a try for <$20

Why haven’t you used them again?

I have worn VBL socks...Glad Freezer Bags...for a winter day hike, and, somehow, I did not get trench foot.

Back in the day - late 60's - i did several multiday winter back packs in mouse boots. Pretty standard strategy in those days.

I have worn VBL socks...Glad Freezer Bags...for a winter day hike, and, somehow, I did not get trench foot.

I wear Rab VBL socks fairly often in my Winter boots on cold days and have never come anywhere near getting any kind of trench foot situation. My feet run cold though, which is why I wear them.

Why haven’t you used them again?

Great question. I actually had to go look at my Amazon order history to see when I bought them (May of 2018). For most of my winter hiking I went from winter boots to gore tex trail runners (Sportiva crossovers, which run narrow and are expensive...). I bought the socks for the purpose when I was hiking in non-GTX trail runners (specifically my old Raptors). I wore them in spring conditions leaving Johns Brook Lodge (it was dry on the way in, but rained/snowed overnight during work weekend). I moved to UT in Dec 2018 and haven't really needed them since.

FWIW, They did ride along in my pack on a spring hike out here, but my feet never got wet enough to give them a try again.

(I guess that was a really long answer with very little information...)