Looking for vest recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking to get an insulated vest. Seems like everyone has down vests. I'm looking for synthetic insulation. Like the idea of down, but don't they have to be dry cleaned?

Thanks

Looking to get an insulated vest. Seems like everyone has down vests. I'm looking for synthetic insulation. Like the idea of down, but don't they have to be dry cleaned?

Thanks

Nope. You can wash (gentle) and tumble dry.

Only worry is that a lot of down garments are a built so light they're not very robust. Tiny bits of down can leak through the seams during ordinary use. Should be fine for years, but the more you manhandle them the more fluff you'll lose. An exterior garment like a down vest shouldn't need to be washed more than once a year, if that.

Down is lighter and MUCH more compressible than any synthetic, makes a HUGE difference in your winter backpack. Go with real down unless you need something you can wear in the rain.

Last edited:
Big Agnes also has/had a DownTek vest: Big Agnes Men's Ways Gulch Vest
Sold out on their website but REI and Moosejaw seem to still have stock in smaller sizes.

Treated down is mostly marketing. Here's what Western Mountaineering has to say:

"Why isn’t Western Mountaineering using hydrophobic down in any products?

We have found in our own testing that the performance enhancements of hydrophobic treatments on high quality down are widely overstated. High quality untreated down already has naturally water repellant oils on it left by the geese (makes sense since geese spend a lot of time in water). These oils help repel water and keep down lofted. More importantly is that these oils last indefinitely. Hydrophobic treatments wash out like a DWR and remove the natural oils during the application process. Because of this, and the water resistant capability of our shell fabrics, we feel that hydrophobic down does not provide a considerable impact on performance and could actually inhibit performance over the lifetime of our products."

My down gear doesn't go anywhere near water. Treated or not, wet down is useless and the treatments only marginally improve dry time while providing little real-world protection to resisting wetting out to begin with. If you're looking for something to be reliably effective while wet Climashield APEX is your best bet.

I'm still wondering what everyone is using their vests for. Is it something to wear on a cool evening when camping and a jacket is too warm or as a mid-layer under a shell while hiking when a base layer is not enough and something with sleeves is too warm? Or maybe as a outer layer when hiking in cold weather when a shell might not be necessary? Or maybe it's something you only carry as emergency insulation if you have to spend a night in the woods? Or to wear inside a sleeping bag on cold nights? I can see where three different vests might be needed.

I rarely if ever use an insulating layer when hiking. I use my Downtek jacket for long stops like lunch or post hike. If I need an intermediate layer for hiking I use fleece. IMHO Down is not great option in typical New England conditions when hiking but great for winter camping post hike.

I rarely if ever use an insulating layer when hiking. I use my Downtek jacket for long stops like lunch or post hike. If I need an intermediate layer for hiking I use fleece. IMHO Down is not great option in typical New England conditions when hiking but great for winter camping post hike.

Are you recommending a fleece vest?

I don't currently own any vests, myself. They can work for winter running, or chopping wood, or cross-country skiing, when you're counting on stable weather and a high rate of heat production, and you'd sweat if you had anything too substantial on your arms. For sitting around camp, or while belaying, or for emergency / bad weather use on a hiking trip, I'll bring a full jacket. And since I'm always carrying the jacket, I generally can't justify using up pack space for a vest too.

I own and use a few different down vests for:
-setting up camp
-processing wood
-hanging out inside the hot tent
-sleeping
-barn chores

I've washed lots of different down gear over the years with great success. It has cleaned up and regained loft in all cases. And it's pretty easy to do.

You need a large front-load commercial machine with two rinse cycles and a product like Nikwax Down Wash. I usually put sleeping bags through a second full wash cycle with no detergent to insure the rinse is complete.

Then haul home and stuff into your dryer with several tennis balls on low heat for a Looong time When you can no longer stand the thumping sound, your stuff is probably dry enough to remove and air for a few days.

BTW: I can't hike in down gear. I produce too much heat. But after a change into dry under layers at then end of the day there's nothing like slipping into that puffy cocoon of instant warmth --vest, jacket or bag!

Last edited:
I never used a vest for hiking, but I sure use mine when I'm not. I bought a North Face softshell vest at Dick's on a whim. About 7 years later, its as good as new. The problem I found in vest for hiking is that even without sleeves, you core heats up considerably. I do better in a wicking long-sleeved shirt. I had it in my rotation for awhile and it just didn't justify its weight verses actual use.

FWIW, I've tried a few vests over the years and have found mostly the same problems as others have mentioned. However, I did finally find that a thin wool vest works well for many purposes and I now carry or wear mine on most hikes year-round.