Engine Hill Bushwack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I’ve never used it, so would hiking the Bushwack be a good decision for me to Mt. Isolation in winter? Is it usually well used? Thanks for info.

I’ve never used it, so would hiking the Bushwack be a good decision for me to Mt. Isolation in winter? Is it usually well used? Thanks for info.

If you're the first one of the year, or first after a heavy snow that completely obliterates it, I'd say no if you're not familiar with it. And, I'd say it's always used in winter.

Its not rocket science, go past the height of land, take a compass bearing and follow it through birch glades until it transitions to open softwoods until you hit Rocky Branch trail. It amazes me to see the track some years where it looked like the person who broke it had adopted a pub crawl approach. The key is to avoid losing elevation, if anything head up slope from a start around 3000 at the Engine Hill Col to 3200 feet along Mt Isolation Trail. If you drift up too high to 3400 feet you may miss the final crossing of the Rocky Branch where the Mt Isolation trail heads west towards the Davis path. The natural tendency is to lose elevation when running across a slope, that just lands you earlier on the trail. With the exception of minor drainage's its pretty flat until you hit the softwoods at the end of the whack. If you are skipping the classic second bushwhack that runs up to the col immediately North of Mt Isolation(which seems to be far less popular these days) and instead heading north along Rocky Branch to the new bushwhack up the drainage north of the unnamed high spot north of Isolation the actual point where you land on Mt Isolation trail is not really an issue. If you do decide to do the classic second whack, then its normally started around 3200 feet to cross Rocky Branch and then hugs the north wall of the valley shooting for a gradual climb up intersecting the drainage from the col at 3500 feet. The drainage is then followed up through dense spruce/fir before popping out on Davis Path. Note the classic second whack is best done by a group. It saves time and elevation but is far more remote with more potential to get in trouble. AMC groups used to consistently use it but given the new rule that AMC cant bushwhack in wilderness areas they will not be doing so.

Its not rocket science, go past the height of land, take a compass bearing and follow it through birch glades

Definitely straightforward from a navigational point of view. However, if you don't find yourself on the "track" this can be quite the adventure as you alluded to. When I did Isolation for Winter (I am a solo hiker) I saw no evidence of the bushwhack path at the height of land on the way out and there was enough of a track on the official trail that I took the actual trail route to Isolation. On the way back I still had not seen any evidence of the bushwhack so I noted my elevation, took my bearing and headed out to make my own track because I wanted to do the official bushwhack.

For the first 0.1-0.2 miles the snow conditions were decent and it wasn't bad. But as I approached some of the clearings near the birch glades I began post-holing big time. Like waist to armpit deep WITH SNOWSHOES post-holing. There were many low "pockets" of minimal snow with groundwater melt that I initially tried to use until the slush froze on my snowshoes and made massive weights on my feet. The bushwhack exercise quickly became following the path of least resistance with the least worst snow conditions. Looking back at my GPS track I was probably only a hair off the "official track" but never found the foot bed for it. I tried to maintain the contour level but eventually had to drop down into deeper woods away from the official route where the post holing wasn't as bad and the snow was firmer. Anyone following my track would have thought I had no clue how to navigate but the issue was the snow conditions, not my abilities. I knew where I was and where I was going. I think it took me 2 hours to cover the mile or so I took to cut across. Looking at NETC the next day apparently a group of 13 people went out and tracked an easy to follow super highway through the official route. Was a day early I guess.

So if you attempt the bushwhack it is well worth the effort to go after several days of stable weather where your chances of finding and following a packed track are higher. Otherwise be prepared for just about anything and be sure to know how to use a compass.

...So if you attempt the bushwhack it is well worth the effort to go after several days of stable weather where your chances of finding and following a packed track are higher. Otherwise be prepared for just about anything and be sure to know how to use a compass.

Truer words were never spoken.

I did a solo overnight to bag Isolation, via RB camping about a mile above the RB#2 shelter. Next morning I followed the trail up until I literally hit a wall of snow and could go no further. I've never encountered snow that deep before or since. No tracks to be seen. I think that side of the ridge is like Tucks in that snow blows in and builds up.

I probed around for an hour trying to find a way through and then said, "hey, I'm solo here. Time to go home!"

Peakbagger, you state " AMC groups used to consistently use it but given the new rule that AMC cant bushwhack in wilderness areas they will not be doing so." but can't find this rule through Google. Please provide a URL. Thanks.

Sorry I do not have a URL for the policy if one exists. I have heard it from multiple usually reliable sources that AMC trip leaders were informed that they are no longer were allowed to set up AMC hikes in wilderness areas in the whites that included bushwhacks. The discussion was centered around the so called Black Pond bushwhack and possibly the Owls Head "path" so perhaps it was Pemi specific?. The claim was that this was a condition imposed when the AMC outfitter guide permit was renewed but may have been created independently tied to LNT?. Years ago when I was required to maintain an outfitter guide permit with the FS for a youth group, we also had limits placed on our permit limiting our use of specific areas in the whites (we were only allowed use of the Pemi and Great Gulf twice a year). I am not affiliated with the AMC and therefore someone familiar with AMC current policies would need to provide the specific guidance you are asking for. My guess is its not something that is communicated to the general membership as much as its communicated to the trip leaders.

Practically its a reasonable policy as any group of 10 hikers are going to leave a trace when traveling off trail especially if its out and back. The problem is that the vast majority of large groups in the woods these days are not organized by entities like AMC and are not subject to enforcement of outfitter guide rules and therefore herd paths are being established. IMO the ready use and availability of GPS tracks has further established herd paths. Enforcement of outfitter guide policies over the years has been minimal at best.

Now back to thread topic

Last edited:
Back on topic. Most of my activity heading to Isolation in the winter was 30 years ago. Its a nice winter challenge as a day hike as length of day makes its potential headlamp start and finish. I generally do not go with big groups as there were not a lot of north country folks who winter hiked in my circle. At the time there was a lot less interest in winter 4Ks and it was not unusual to have to break out some if not all of a trail in winter. My guess is it was at least 20% of my first winter 4 K ascents. Isolation is in an area that is prone to build up a lot of snow especially 30 years ago. As noted its all related to conditions. The first time I did it with two other folks we did it blind from maps with compass, there was not active hiking forums on the internet so it was mostly word of mouth and AMC postings in Appalachia. We did not do the Engine Hill bushwhack heading out, we headed down to Rocky Branch and then went north some distance along Mt Isolation trail and then headed to the col north of Isolation going just north of the drainage that eventually discharges into Rocky Branch. This was not a great choice as it as it thick down in that area so we angled up towards the north wall of the valley and ended up in some open woods which we followed until we curved back and hit the upper section of the drainage and then beat our way through a band of dense fir to pop out on Davis path just north of the Isolation spur. Heading down we initially followed our path through the woods but then left out track to stay in the open woods and eventually to some open views before crossing Rocky Branch and popping out on the trail. We then decided to try the Engine Hill bushwhack and as we proceeded we did funnel into an older track that we presumed was from a AMC trip the week before.

The second time I did in in 1999 after the Ice storm of 98, there was also deep snow and the Rocky Branch trail was tough to follow. We were a group of four and ended up off trail crossing into the Rocky Branch Valley north of the low point at Engine Hill. We ended up on the high spot of the glade and beelined on a compass bearing to the trail and then caught a glimpse at Isolation and hit the open slopes and hardwoods of the second bushwhack. With the exception of the spruce fir band we made great time and was at the summit of Isolation earlier than expected. We made even better time heading back along our track and were out of the woods earlier than expected.

The third time I did it was with a experienced hiker who was new to winter hiking. We hit the Engine Hill bushwhack right on and were pretty close on the start of the second whack snow conditions were worse and we ended up too high on on the slope and got into the dreaded spruce fir band. We ended up quite close to Davis Path but we hit our turn around time. We turned around and followed our path out. Had we had two other folks to share breaking I have no doubt that we would have summited

No doubt with a GPS track for the second bushwhack picking the ideal elevation band heading up to Davis path this would be the ticket for a fast hike but even with the right track, add in deep snow conditions and few solo hikers would be readily able to do any route as day hike and even with an overnight it would be challenge.

Peakbagger, you state " AMC groups used to consistently use it but given the new rule that AMC cant bushwhack in wilderness areas they will not be doing so." but can't find this rule through Google. Please provide a URL. Thanks.

It's a Forest Service thing. Only routes using official roads and trails are considered when applying for a commercial outfitter/guide permit.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitemountain/passes-permits/event-commercial/?cid=stelprdb5281750

Thanks J&B and Peakbagger re bushwhacking issue in the Whites. Looks like the Forest Service has invoked that rule out of an abundance of liability caution rather than for ecological integrity concerns. I think there's agreement that frequent "bushwhacking" in large numbers taking the same general route will quickly lead to herd path(s) formation, something most of believe as undesirable today. Sorry for the drift.

Thanks J&B and Peakbagger re bushwhacking issue in the Whites. Looks like the Forest Service has invoked that rule out of an abundance of liability caution rather than for ecological integrity concerns. I think there's agreement that frequent "bushwhacking" in large numbers taking the same general route will quickly lead to herd path(s) formation, something most of believe as undesirable today. Sorry for the drift.

I've been in there a couple of times, non-winter. There really isn't any evidence of a "Human" herd path. Moose on the other hand, have made several. And anytime I am in there, any flagging goes in my pocket.

Just curious, what compass bearings do folks use for the first and second whack?

Definitely straightforward from a navigational point of view. However, if you don't find yourself on the "track" this can be quite the adventure as you alluded to. When I did Isolation for Winter (I am a solo hiker) I saw no evidence of the bushwhack path at the height of land on the way out and there was enough of a track on the official trail that I took the actual trail route to Isolation. On the way back I still had not seen any evidence of the bushwhack so I noted my elevation, took my bearing and headed out to make my own track because I wanted to do the official bushwhack.

For the first 0.1-0.2 miles the snow conditions were decent and it wasn't bad. But as I approached some of the clearings near the birch glades I began post-holing big time. Like waist to armpit deep WITH SNOWSHOES post-holing. There were many low "pockets" of minimal snow with groundwater melt that I initially tried to use until the slush froze on my snowshoes and made massive weights on my feet. The bushwhack exercise quickly became following the path of least resistance with the least worst snow conditions. Looking back at my GPS track I was probably only a hair off the "official track" but never found the foot bed for it. I tried to maintain the contour level but eventually had to drop down into deeper woods away from the official route where the post holing wasn't as bad and the snow was firmer. Anyone following my track would have thought I had no clue how to navigate but the issue was the snow conditions, not my abilities. I knew where I was and where I was going. I think it took me 2 hours to cover the mile or so I took to cut across. Looking at NETC the next day apparently a group of 13 people went out and tracked an easy to follow super highway through the official route. Was a day early I guess.

So if you attempt the bushwhack it is well worth the effort to go after several days of stable weather where your chances of finding and following a packed track are higher. Otherwise be prepared for just about anything and be sure to know how to use a compass.

If you are up to your armpits wearing snowshoes, most likely you are either in a drainage where water has melted the snow underneath or more likely you've stepped in a Spruce Trap, a few inches of snow covering a fir tree. Of late, the trees are typically a few feet tall. In reading older trips from Forest & Crag, it wasn't unheard of that people would disappear and end up hanging upside down with their snowshoes caught in the branches. My MIL who is showing signs of senility (90+) still remembers me coming back to the condo in the mid-90's and telling her about being solo and being up to my armpits. She brings it up every winter if I am doing a solo trip.

If you are up to your armpits wearing snowshoes, most likely you are either in a drainage where water has melted the snow underneath or more likely you've stepped in a Spruce Trap, a few inches of snow covering a fir tree.

No on both counts.