Help Me Pick New Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have, for the last several years, been a fan of Columbia Bugaboots - the Bugaboot III/XTM model in particular. Reasons I like this boot:

* 600g (rated)/-65 degree
* Fits my foot very nicely
* The only boot in a size 13D that cleanly pivots through the opening in all four pairs of my snowshoes

As such, I am happy with my four pairs of snowshoes, and I am happy with the fit for my Microspikes, Hillsounds, and Grivel G10 crampons. As they are almost always worn on top of winter gear, or if not, they are primarily in contact with snow, the soles have hardly any wear. Failures have come from cracks in the shell (leading to skin wearing off the tops of my feet), or from seams failing, leading to leaks (and wet feet).

Columbia no longer makes this specific model (the III/XTM/-65). Also, Columbia's recent boots are all running a size smaller than in the past. I managed to find a III/XTM leftover through Amazon (and shipped from Zappos, even though Zappos said they were out of stock.) This particular boot is both too small, and in my opinion, of a lesser quality than the existing boot.

I did some more digging, and read some reviews, and talked with some friends on Facebook, including Section Hiker (Phillip) and ended up ordering the replacement 600g/-65 boot - the Columbia Powderhouse Titanium Omni-Heat 3D Outdry . Given the scarcity of gear this year, I snapped up both a 13D and a 14D per the sizing recommendations saying to order up 1 size.

So I now have three pairs of boots. The two 13Ds are definitely too tight. The 14D Titanium fits. HOWEVER, ...

* It rubs/catches on the snowshoe opening while pivoting
* My existing Microspikes and Hillsounds fit a bit snugger than I think they should and I am concerned about them coming off
* My Grivel G10s with the "long bars" (190mm) do not fit.

So, I have two choices. I either have to find some smaller boots that fit my gear, or I have to modify these boots (or my snowshoes) using a Dremel / xacto knife, and find or have made an XXL bar for the crampons, and/or purchase all new tractinon gear.

Obviously, replacing the boots is the easiest and cheapest solution, and any assistance you all may have in that regard would be appreciated.

Tim-and-his-big-feet

Last edited:
My only recommendation is that you might not need boots that are rated to -65F and boots with less insulation might fit just as well on your feet and also have smaller outside dimensions.

Long ago I had a problem with size 13 Scarpa plastic boots that would not fit my Tubbs snow shoes. I made some custom bindings that fit my boots exactly. They were heavy as all I had in stock was stainless but they worked slick. Its surprising how little of binding is needed when its sized to fit one one set of boots. Unfortunately the MSR snowshoes are narrower so less room to make a wider binding. At one point I took a dremel tool and ground off part to the soles of my prior plastic boots fit a standard binding.

I have, for the last several years, been a fan of Columbia Bugaboots - the Bugaboot III/XTM model in particular. Reasons I like this boot:

* 600g (rated)/-65 degree
* Fits my foot very nicely
* The only boot in a size 13D that cleanly pivots through the opening in all four pairs of my snowshoes

As such, I am happy with my four pairs of snowshoes, and I am happy with the fit for my Microspikes, Hillsounds, and Grivel G10 crampons. As they are almost always worn on top of winter gear, or if not, they are primarily in contact with snow, the soles have hardly any wear. Failures have come from cracks in the shell (leading to skin wearing off the tops of my feet), or from seams failing, leading to leaks (and wet feet).

Columbia no longer makes this specific model (the III/XTM/-65). Also, Columbia's recent boots are all running a size smaller than in the past. I managed to find a III/XTM leftover through Amazon (and shipped from Zappos, even though Zappos said they were out of stock.) This particular boot is both too small, and in my opinion, of a lesser quality than the existing boot.

I did some more digging, and read some reviews, and talked with some friends on Facebook, including Section Hiker (Phillip) and ended up ordering the replacement 600g/-65 boot - the Columbia Powderhouse Titanium Omni-Heat 3D Outdry . Given the scarcity of gear this gear, I snapped up both a 13D and a 14D per the sizing recommendations saying to order up 1 size.

So I now have three pairs of boots. The two 13Ds are definitely too tight. The 14D Titanium fits. HOWEVER, ...

* It rubs/catches on the snowshoe opening while pivoting
* My existing Microspikes and Hillsounds fit a bit snugger than I think they should and I am concerned about them coming off
* My Grivel G10s with the "long bars" (190mm) do not fit.

So, I have two choices. I either have to find some smaller boots that fit my gear, or I have to modify these boots (or my snowshoes) using a Dremel / xacto knife, and find or have made an XXL bar for the crampons, and/or purchase all new tractinon gear.

Obviously, replacing the boots is the easiest and cheapest solution, and any assistance you all may have in that regard would be appreciated.

Tim-and-his-big-feet

Aren't these the ones you like? https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/columbia-bugaboot-iii-xtm-insulated-waterproof-pac-boots-for-men?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=CjwKCAiArIH_BRB2EiwALfbH1I1dh10ngDOsmvc6wwQWHK09ZdLnpxKKBWXOXNkqNt5TpAF3h4Xg0hoCsSsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, and despite the fact that they are advertised there, and on Cabela's, they are actually out of stock.

Hi Tim,

The item(s) below are out of stock and unfortunately we had to cancel the order. At this time we are unable to estimate when this item will be available for purchase. Please note that you were never charged for the item. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and will continue to work diligently with our suppliers to restock the item(s) as soon as possible. Please check our website for product updates and availability. Our representatives do not have any additional detail about product arrival dates and are unable to re-order items that have already been canceled. We hope you will keep us in mind for all you future outdoor needs!

Order Number: xxxxxx
Order Date: December 14, 2020

Your Order Just Canceled

Unfortunately, this item is not available. You were not charged for this item as it did not ship. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Columbia Bugaboot III XTM Insulated Waterproof Pac Boots for Men - Black - 13M
SKU: *5039481*

Tim

My only recommendation is that you might not need boots that are rated to -65F and boots with less insulation might fit just as well on your feet and also have smaller outside dimensions.

That idea is not lost on me. However, I have a thing that works very well for me, and the -65 is part of the survive-an-unplanned-night plan.

Tim

I'm also interested any ideas to fit the existing Grivel G10s on the larger boots, or replacement crampons that fit larger boots. I don't need them very often, but I'm not sure I want to be without them. A quick perusal through available crampon options seem to go up to 12 or maybe 13.

Tim

That idea is not lost on me. However, I have a thing that works very well for me, and the -65 is part of the survive-an-unplanned-night plan.

Tim

I also have a thing that works very well for me. It involves carrying a pair of insulated booties so I don't have to spend an unplanned night in boots with wet insulation.

I'm also interested any ideas to fit the existing Grivel G10s on the larger boots, or replacement crampons that fit larger boots. I don't need them very often, but I'm not sure I want to be without them. A quick perusal through available crampon options seem to go up to 12 or maybe 13.

Tim

Doesn't Grivel make an extension bar for the G10's? Is that what you already have?

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mo...10&gclid=CJCYpfHJ4O0CFUrAswodTgcChQ&gclsrc=ds

So the 190mm bars max out around a Size 12? You could probably have longer ones made although I doubt that would be very cost effective. The guy next door to me at work does a lot of specialty machining and EDM work. Just for the hell of it I'll show him the bars and ask what he thinks it would cost to make. Can you guestimate a length of bar that would fit your boots? And if you have both sizes of bars is the curvature angle the same on both or is it "shallower" on the longer ones?

I have a pair of Salomon Toundra boots which are rated for -40F. The soles are not stiff enough for climbing steep ice with crampons, but may be stiff enough for your needs.

https://www.backcountry.com/salomon...0ZXIgQm9vdHM6MToxOmJjLW1lbnMtd2ludGVyLWJvb3Rz

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/shoes-and-boots/winter-boots/salomon-toundra-pro-cswp

Cons: Stitching durability, expensive, very large

Our Verdict
The Salomon Toundra Pro CSWP are a burly winter hiking boot touted as being suitable for cold conditions down to -40 degrees. We found them to be one of the warmest boots on our feet, due in large part to the use of the innovative Aerotherm Aerogel insulation, which is one of the single best insulating materials developed by man. We also found them to be completely waterproof and plenty comfortable for a long day of cold weather hiking or working. However, many online reviews complain about a breakdown in stitching on the front of the boot that leads to water leaks and, simply, a very penetrable boot. We did not experience these issues, but remain wary of their long-term durability.

Not encouraging :( Especially since they are described as both 'large' and 'burly' and I'm having trouble fitting them into my existing gear.

Tim

The Oboz do come in Wide, through size 13. I have 3 pairs of boots ($500 worth!) sitting next to my desk. Two are too small and definitely going back. I'm stuck because there isn't anyone place that has enough inventory to try on everything I want, and I'm avoiding stores right now, so I'm kinda stuck with online and returns. Much like the summer, inventory is decimated.

Tim

Just try finding 13 EEEE winter boots, I end up with wide 14s and then with varying success have to modify the interior of the boots to keep my foot from sliding around. Usually its superfeet and a wege shaped strip of neoprene foam glued to the tongue

Last edited:
I just bought some Oboz bridger 10" insulated B-dry to wear with my Grivel 10's because my Toundras don't fit right in them. I should have bought the wide Grivels, the ones designed for snowboard boots. The Oboz seem a bit narrower, I haven't have a chance to try them out yet, but they work fine with my Hillsounds.

Any fans of Oboz Bridgers?
The Bridgers are what we recommend in the AMC Boston winter hiking program for anybody who doesn't want the Toundras for whatever reason.

The Toundras are "big and burly" by normal boot standards but I wouldn't say particularly so by solid winter boot standards....they're less chunky than my Garmont Momentum, for instance. My size 13 go nicely with the Kahtoola KTS (the only reasonable crampons for nonrigid boots, IMO.) I can take some dimensions for you and/or get a photo of the boot in snowshoes if it'll help. Frankly I can probably arrange an outdoor meet for you to check them out.

Sadly 600g boots are becoming very rare. At least there are now a couple of good 400g options.