Help Me Pick New Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I settled on the Bugaboot III XTM, I brought a pair each of snowshoes, crampons and microspikes (and now I have Hillsounds as well) into the store when I tried on all the boots. I think I have a few candidates now to try out... the question is, can I find a single location with all options in multiple sizes in stock? So far, supply is pretty limited. Luckily the leak in my current boots seems to not be a problem in snow. Only when dunking, so I might have some time.

Tim

Take a look at Keen Revel Polar. I wear size 14; they fir fine in my Lightning Ascent snowshoes (both the old and new bindings) and Hillsounds. Good soles, nice and warm. I got them at Hubert's in Lebanon for 1/2 price: about $90, I think. I figured that counted as "essential" shopping.

Tim-

You may want to give Farm-Way in Bradford, VT (if you want to sneak about a mile across the border) a shot for boots. They have an excellent selection of boots there. They had Salomon Toundra's, Keen Revel IV High Polar's, and Oboz Bridgers in addition to Columbia's and many other winter boots on the shelves. What sizes they carry or still have in stock would need to be checked with a phone call first. Plus- they usually offer 20% off most of their boots at all times! It's a great outdoor gear store despite the name although they do carry a lot of farming gear. We've been going there for years and spent literally $1,000's of dollars on outdoor gear, furniture and other stuff.

Good luck with your search.

John

I ended up with a pair of Oboz Bridgers 10" BDry that I found in a 13W at Alec's Shoes in Nashua. I wore them with spikes today for a 7 mile/2000' hike and they were both warm and comfortable. They are definitely warmer at 400g than the 600g Columbias they replaced. After exactly one hike, the leather loop that holds the D ring has ripped so they are going to be replaced under warrantee... I hope this truly was a one-off defect and not a design flaw.

Tim

I ended up with a pair of Oboz Bridgers 10" BDry that I found in a 13W at Alec's Shoes in Nashua. I wore them with spikes today for a 7 mile/2000' hike and they were both warm and comfortable. They are definitely warmer at 400g than the 600g Columbias they replaced. After exactly one hike, the leather loop that holds the D ring has ripped so they are going to be replaced under warrantee... I hope this truly was a one-off defect and not a design flaw.

Tim

I'm hoping to get a pair of these this week. While I now wear Topo Runventure 2s for 3 season hiking, I wore the Bridger trail shoes on the AT. Finished about 200 miles into my fourth pair (and still wear them now), so I've had good luck with Oboz and need a new pair of winter boots. Oboz should take care of you if you have to RMA them.

I'm hoping to get a pair of these this week. While I now wear Topo Runventure 2s for 3 season hiking, I wore the Bridger trail shoes on the AT. Finished about 200 miles into my fourth pair (and still wear them now), so I've had good luck with Oboz and need a new pair of winter boots. Oboz should take care of you if you have to RMA them.

There is, no surprise, no more inventory for this year! So they offered me any other pair of boots, which I grabbed the 8" / 200g ... not sure I will use them, but maybe in shoulder season. I hope the D ring stays in place.

Tim

I ended up with a pair of Oboz Bridgers 10" BDry that I found in a 13W at Alec's Shoes in Nashua. I wore them with spikes today for a 7 mile/2000' hike and they were both warm and comfortable. They are definitely warmer at 400g than the 600g Columbias they replaced. After exactly one hike, the leather loop that holds the D ring has ripped so they are going to be replaced under warrantee... I hope this truly was a one-off defect and not a design flaw. Hope this is all working out for you. We just got a pair of these for my Wife and she is very pleased. Especially how light they are. Have you decided or already have a crampon that works with The Oboz? Any recommendations?
Tim

Hope this is all working out for you. We just got a pair of these for my Wife and she is very pleased. Especially how light they are. Have you decided or already have a crampon that works with The Oboz? Any recommendations?

The D ring is still in place. Oboz offered me a replacement, but there are none anywhere in inventory of the same boot. I opted for the 8" Bridgers B-Dry 200g. I have worn them a few times walking my dog, and yesterday did an 8 mile conservation area hike in the low teens with these boots and my feet were never cold. I got to keep the 10".

The 10" work fine with Tubbs Flex Alp snowshoes, microspikes and with Grivel G10 crampons. Have not actually tried them with Hillsounds.

So far, quite pleased.
Tim

The D ring is still in place. Oboz offered me a replacement, but there are none anywhere in inventory of the same boot. I opted for the 8" Bridgers B-Dry 200g. I have worn them a few times walking my dog, and yesterday did an 8 mile conservation area hike in the low teens with these boots and my feet were never cold. I got to keep the 10".

The 10" work fine with Tubbs Flex Alp snowshoes, microspikes and with Grivel G10 crampons. Have not actually tried them with Hillsounds.

So far, quite pleased.
Tim

Good outcome all around Tim.

I switched to a "soft" insulated boot from LL Bean a few winters back and it does everything well. My Koflac Degree's have been gathering dust ever since. I run Stubai 12-point crampons on these size 12.5 boots with no issues using the standard adjustment bars. The over the toe binding and heel wrap straps keep em on just fine. Same with snowshoes. Now, if only my knee was less painful.... :)