52 with no View

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North Twin has a good view to the west a very short distance from the true summit. Several 52 WAV lack views from the true summit but have views close by. Paugus immediately comes to mind. Its view is a good quarter mile from the summit.

I have never been up Meader or Eastman. If they had views, why did someone say they didn't? If you can't rely on the people posting on Views for reliable answers, what is the value of this thing? But North Twin, no view worth mentioning that I remember.

Whiteface. We agreed Zealand has no view, yes? There's a view from Zeacliff, but not from Zealand. So if Sleeper has no view, and Passaconoway has no view, one can hike Whiteface without seeing a view.

Except that Passaconaway has a view from the viewpoint as well as a couple on the way up. If your point is that you can climb the peak and avoid seeing a view, then the list should have another name. Maybe 52 without a clue? I don't know why they said Meader has no view. But, it looks like it does to me. The view doesn't need to be at the exact summit. For that matter, you can't climb Zealand without going past some phenomenal views (unless you do some weird bushwack). But North Twin...judge for yourselves:

IMG_7114.jpgIMG_7116.jpg

Not at the exact summit, but close enough.

Last edited:
I have never been up Meader or Eastman. If they had views, why did someone say they didn't? If you can't rely on the people posting on Views for reliable answers, what is the value of this thing?

Ooof, that's kind of insulting. It's not really clear what you were looking for in your original post. It could be, as you put it, mostly this is stemming from bar talk. At least a few of the 52WAV do not have views from the actual summit, but rather have views somewhere along the common route(s) to, or in the vicinity of, the summit. Iron Mountain will be my example of this. Many of the 4Ks have views near the top, or when the snowpack is really high when they might not otherwise. Or, if you are willing to poke around a bit, you can find some sort of a view near most of the 4K summits. So, it all depends on the rules you made up during the bar talk as to what peaks make the list or not.

But North Twin, no view worth mentioning that I remember.
Is there a view from the summit cairn of North Twin? Not much of one, I'll admit, but the cairn really isn't on the summit either, since you walk uphill from the summit on the way to the viewpoint spur, which has really excellent views, on top of the ones on the North Twin trail just below the summit.

attachment.php

North Twin Trail outlook right before the summit

And, if we read nothing more than the title, then delisted 52WAV peaks are what you are looking for. In that light, I recently hiked Carr Mountain and found that there really isn't a view any longer due to the trees growing up around the remaining fire tower footings.

Tim

Attachments

• northtwin.jpg
    northtwin.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I have never been up Meader or Eastman. If they had views, why did someone say they didn't? If you can't rely on the people posting on Views for reliable answers, what is the value of this thing? But North Twin, no view worth mentioning that I remember.
Time to retire Professor...Hope you got some new goggles from Santa. Happy New Year.

HNY

I guess the question is, to make it on a lust with or without a view, how far from the summit cairn or marker is okay to see a view?

Middle Carter's are not very far away and the one on N. Twin, either the spur path looking at Garfield, F-Ridge or Galehead OR with I think a 360 views, the rock right next to the North Twin Trail after reaching the crest of the ridge are not very far away. Zeacliff is quite a distance from the Zealand Summit and the Whiteface Summit is a 10th or two from the ledge. East Sleeper is viewless although when I was there, the ferns and moss were very nice. (I like Zeta Pass for the same reason, the just below treeline approach on Pierce before reaching the zone is almost as nice)

B The Hiker, where is Mt. Klem? I don't think I've ever heard of it. (I had to look it up, near some lakes and Bing has images that would show a nice view) This is from a trip in 2008 so maybe the trees grew some http://echoshores.com/Hikes/2008/Mack_Klem/Klem1_1024.jpg

As far as views from North Twin, I've taken a bunch except in winter when the day I went it was too cold, too windy, too cloud covered and learned that 8' trees with 5-6 feet of snow really don't provide much wind protection, it was the bad weather option instead of the Presidentials (I'll keep looking in the too many hiking pic folders I have.) They either didn't make the cut when scanning film to digital or I've mislabeled them.

Here is a 96 picture from the Hale Summit Cairn to compare to the earlier 60's pic in this thread & see how much more the trees have grown as it's pretty viewless now.: Hale Summit looking at Willey Range Day 4 May 1996.jpg

Here are a couple of pics from Hale taken in 05, for further comparison. Taken from top of cairn with a couple feet of snow.HALE10.jpgHALE05.jpg

Geez, we got a lot of Pierce fans here! Next time I'm in the Notch I'll do it again and see what the love is about. :)

Must be something to the view. Did you go up for the sunrise on the first day of the New Year? Don't know how reliable it is but I just read a FB report that claimed they saw at least 100 people on Pierce this morning.

Whiteface. We agreed Zealand has no view, yes? There's a view from Zeacliff, but not from Zealand. So if Sleeper has no view, and Passaconoway has no view, one can hike Whiteface without seeing a view.

If we want to split hairs, there's a difference between the actual summit of Mt. Meader and a ledgy area accessed via a short spur from the Meader Ridge Trail. The ledgy area offers nice views. I'm not sure if the actual summit has any views because I didn't bushwhack up there.