52 with no View

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
If we were to make a list of the best 52 with no View (which is an odd concept, mostly this is stemming from bar talk), what would be on it?

1. Zealand
2. Owlshead
3. The Horn
4. Bulge
5. Weeks
6. Hale

Hi B the H,

Great initiative! Can't contribute right now, but please remove The Horn. There 3 years ago, beautiful open views abound to the south abound. Check out hillmap.com or your favorite sat images to confirm. Thanks!

Hi B the H,

Great initiative! Can't contribute right now, but please remove The Horn. There 3 years ago, beautiful open views abound to the south abound. Check out hillmap.com or your favorite sat images to confirm. Thanks!

I also think the Horn has nice views.

That’s just about all of them if you show up on the right day. Yep...sounds like A Bar.

How do you even start to define "best"?

You're asking for a lot of thought on this one, Mohamed! I would say, what mountains are fun to climb, despite the lack of views. (Again, this was more bar talk than anything else)

1. Zealand
2. Owlshead
3. East Sleeper
4. Bulge
5. Weeks
6. Hale
7. The Captain
8. Tecumseh (before someone went up and lopped a bunch of trees off)

You're asking for a lot of thought on this one, Mohamed! I would say, what mountains are fun to climb, despite the lack of views. (Again, this was more bar talk than anything else)

1. Zealand
2. Owlshead
3. East Sleeper
4. Bulge
5. Weeks
6. Hale
7. The Captain

Pierce -- (climb only if you are going to someplace else)
Passaconway -- (climb only if you are coming from someplace else)

Klem
All the Carters (arguable with Dome, and of course with Hight right there)
Dorset

In looking at past WMGs, that view has been maintained for a long time. Perhaps the individual or group that maintains the bench on the subpeak knows about it?

In the Belknaps? Mt. Klem has one of the best views in the range a few hundred feet from the highpoint.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mtklemsummit-2015-1030a.jpg
    mtklemsummit-2015-1030a.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Of course some of these have views if we have a lot of snow. Much of the Carter have views, just not from the summit. The views going to Carter Dome from the Notch are great plus Hight. While the summit of Middle carter may not have a view, the ledges north and I believe south also, I'm due back are very nice. I recall my first trip on Hale in the 90's afforded a partial view if standing on top of the Cairn. On my winter trip there was enough snow to see past the trees too. 20 and 24 years later, that's no longer true unless we get epic snow.

The view from Owl's Head Slide was very nice when I was last there, if it's more obscure, maybe.

To be without a view, that should mean no view with some set distance of the summit, similar to col depth. Maybe like the Forest Protection zones, it's a 1/4 mile from the summit without a view. (on trails)

That would leave Bulge, Zealand Weeks, If you just meant the summit proper, North Twin could be on your list and Carrigain would be without the tower.

What defines a view? In Summer, (Winter shorter summits in deciduous forest would have partial winter views)

One of my favorite pictures I have of the Presidentials is from South Carter in a winter with a lot of snow.

Pierce -- (climb only if you are going to someplace else)
Passaconway -- (climb only if you are coming from someplace else)

With all due respect, Pierce is one of the most popular 4k's for a reason. Great trail, great view, great peak in inclement weather, great peak for new hikers. I'll give you Passaconaway but leave Pierce alone, its one of my favorites.

With all due respect, Pierce is one of the most popular 4k's for a reason. Great trail, great view, great peak in inclement weather, great peak for new hikers. I'll give you Passaconaway but leave Pierce alone, its one of my favorites.

Agree wrt Pierce. Pierce has great views. However, Passaconaway has a sweeping 180 degree or so panorama from the viewpoint.

Last edited:
With all due respect, Pierce is one of the most popular 4k's for a reason.

Peak Above the Nubble is another classic no view winner. (Although the Nubble itself has a rather nice view. Strange.)

Last edited: