52 with no View

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peak Above the Nubble is another classic no view winner.

First Pierce has no views, now Peak Above the Nubble? Am I missing a joke, or are you just trolling?

attachment.php

Attachments

• patnsummitbig-2010-1111a.jpg
    patnsummitbig-2010-1111a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 419
How is this not a view from Pierce? Looks pretty good to me. (Are we saying right at the Cairn itself? maybe in that case but the view is 10 feet away)20200318_113648_009.jpg

Last edited:
First Pierce has no views, now Peak Above the Nubble? Am I missing a joke, or are you just trolling?

attachment.php

When I did peak (which was a while ago) there was overhead thick spruce at the canister. We did not search for a view spot. Is that pic taken from the top?

With all due respect, Pierce is one of the most popular 4k's for a reason. Great trail, great view, great peak in inclement weather, great peak for new hikers. I'll give you Passaconaway but leave Pierce alone, its one of my favorites.

My thoughts as well. Actually, one of the easier peaks to introduce people to with a "big-mountain" :D feel; easy footing, quick to treeline, great views, options to go further, a loop if you want. It was my mother's favorite peak and even as she got older I knew if she was going there I needn't worry much.

Its usually a great intro to how to dress for winter. It can be a wintertime worm sunny day with just a poly top and then go 100 yards and it can turn into a full winter gear day.

At this point, I've only been to Monadnock and Greylock more than Pierce, all three over 20x.

Its usually a great intro to how to dress for winter. It can be a wintertime worm sunny day with just a poly top and then go 100 yards and it can turn into a full winter gear day.

Always have enjoyed while staying at Nauman popping up to the false Summit of Pierce to the SW for the Sunset. Nice view from there.

Always have enjoyed while staying at Nauman popping up to the false Summit of Pierce to the SW for the Sunset. Nice view from there.

Geez, we got a lot of Pierce fans here! Next time I'm in the Notch I'll do it again and see what the love is about. :)

And although the view from Hale is pretty minimal, it didn't used to be so. Here are 2 poor quality scans from 1967 from the summit of Hale. [img022.jpgimg019.jpg

And although the view from Hale is pretty minimal, it didn't used to be so. Here are 2 poor quality scans from 1967 from the summit of Hale. [View attachment 6553View attachment 6554

Yes it was. I have pictures similar to yours in a box somewhere. I first did Hale as a teenager in the mid-80's with a friend and uncle. None of us hikers and the short, steep climb annihilated us. But the views at the top were awesome. Panoramic and basically 360 degree views. Was a nice upgrade from Middle Sugarloaf, our default hike when we camped at Sugarloaf. So when I started my 48k list in 2012 I was actually looking forward to summiting Hale. I can't even begin to describe the let down when I got up there and saw the tree growth. Even on top of the massive cairn I could barely see anything. Was a serious bummer.

The steel framework of the fire tower was still there in 67 but the cabin and stairs were gone. Even so, the view was pretty good!

Wandered around Peak above the Nubble until we found a view vaguely northeast. No view on East Sleeper but wonderful woods anyway. I don't think there was a view on South, Middle and North Weeks all day. Ditto for Elephant, Cupsuptic Snow, Vose Spur, Mendon, Scar Ridge, Dorset, although views were available near some of those peaks.

Yes it was. I have pictures similar to yours in a box somewhere. I first did Hale as a teenager in the mid-80's with a friend and uncle. None of us hikers and the short, steep climb annihilated us. But the views at the top were awesome. Panoramic and basically 360 degree views. Was a nice upgrade from Middle Sugarloaf, our default hike when we camped at Sugarloaf. So when I started my 48k list in 2012 I was actually looking forward to summiting Hale. I can't even begin to describe the let down when I got up there and saw the tree growth. Even on top of the massive cairn I could barely see anything. Was a serious bummer.

I think its on Eastman, or maybe Meader, where there is open ledge, spray painted on the rock is an arrow and a message stating wonderful views and the arrow points to a wall of firs. No views to be had.

I think this summarizes what we have:

1. Zealand
2. Owlshead
3. East Sleeper
4. Bulge
5. Weeks
6. Hale
7. The Captain
8. Tecumseh (before someone went up and lopped a bunch of trees off)
9. Passaconoway
10. Whiteface
11. Klem
12. Carter Dome
13. Middle Carter
14. North Twin
15. Randolph
16. Peak Above the Nubble
17. Elephant
18. Cupsuptic Snow
19. Vose Spur
20. Medon
21. Scar Ridge
22. Dorset
23. Eastman
24. Meader

Whiteface, North Twin, Meader? Seriously??
Here is a view from Meader this past summer:IMG_7171.jpg

Whiteface, North Twin, Meader? Seriously??
Here is a view from Meader this past summer:View attachment 6558

I have never been up Meader or Eastman. If they had views, why did someone say they didn't? If you can't rely on the people posting on Views for reliable answers, what is the value of this thing? But North Twin, no view worth mentioning that I remember.

Whiteface. We agreed Zealand has no view, yes? There's a view from Zeacliff, but not from Zealand. So if Sleeper has no view, and Passaconoway has no view, one can hike Whiteface without seeing a view.

21 with no view

1. Zealand
2. Owlshead
3. East Sleeper
4. Bulge
5. Weeks
6. Hale
7. The Captain
8. Tecumseh (before someone went up and lopped a bunch of trees off)
9. Passaconoway
10. Dorset
11. Klem
12. Carter Dome
13. Middle Carter
14. North Twin
15. Randolph
16. Peak Above the Nubble
17. Elephant
18. Cupsuptic Snow
19. Vose Spur
20. Medon