Garfield's getting popular

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure what the driver is of late but seems like every time I drive by the Garfeld winter lot, its full. Yesterday as an example, it was not a great day up north, but I went by at 6:45 AM and the lot was just about full. There were no cars at 5 corners, none on the road to North Twin, Appalachia had a couple of cars and Castle Ridge was empty. Lafayette Place north and south seemed to be empty. When I came back the Garfield lot was parked out to RT 3, there were two cars at Five Corners (overflow from Garfield or a couple of folks who need to check off Galehead off their list) and zero at North Twin.

So the usage does seem to be bit more concentrated on Garfield these day. I expect some may be winter camping at the shelter but anyone know why Garfield seems to have picked up in popularity. I do like it as it is fairly sheltered and hard to beat the grade but those characteristics were there before.

Maybe water levels had something to do with it yesterday? The problem crossing can be avoided using the snowmo bridge. IME it's always been a popular hike. It's easy, accessible, has a great view, and is on the list.

Maybe water levels had something to do with it yesterday? The problem crossing can be avoided using the snowmo bridge. IME it's always been a popular hike. It's easy, accessible, has a great view, and is on the list.

And, it's on the list X 12

if the 2020 Covid rush was to keep hiking in winter, where would Garfield fall on the first of the 4k hikes to do in winter? If concerned about water crossings, other trips that might be similar in grade but have water crossings would come off. The wide open summit can let you feel the weather without the long time above treeline that higher peaks have. The extra miles are a one mile, each way road walk. If packed down, those opted for no traction or micro's which are priced like an intro to winter hiking purchase vs snowshoes or 10 point crampons so the learning curve may be perceived to be easier on Garfield. Not sure I'd pick it as a winter first, however some might.

I feel like Garfield has been a busy hike year round for awhile now, at least in the 8 or so years I've been seriously hiking. Probably because it is pretty easy, pretty close to a major highway, sees a lot of foot traffic so it is "safer" for new or inexperienced people and of course has great views. Personally I'm not a huge fan. I find the approach to that summit via Rte 3 is pretty monotonous and unexciting and feels longer than what it is. And the past few years the summit is generally so crowded that I don't especially like lingering there amongst the noise and Instagrammers. And Garfield seems to sense my contempt for it because it almost always rewards me with no views when I do get up there. :)

Garfield was recommended to me as my first winter 4K above the trees. I believe it was recommended due it popularity of the Mount Garfield Trail, its relatively easy grade for wooden snowshoes and no traction, and the limited time exposed above the trees. Spent the night at the Garfield Ridge Shelter. We set up a tent on the first platform in the exposed meadow before you reach the shelter. We used the protection of the shelter for cooking and eating. That night I thought the tent would be shredded by the wind. I still claim that during the gusts I felt my head and feet lift while I tried to sleep. Today I would recommended one of the sheltered platforms beyond the shelter.

We also took the recommendations for Garfield and decided to make a loop instead of an out and back. The steep section on the Garfield Ridge Trail below the spring at the Shelter were not the place for Sorrels and wooden snowshoes. I ended up bushwhacking in the woods adjacent to the trail to make that descent. I thought I was knowledgeable as having done that section in the summer. Likely a dry summer day and did not anticipate what winter conditions would bring.

I feel like Garfield has been a busy hike year round for awhile now, at least in the 8 or so years I've been seriously hiking. Probably because it is pretty easy, pretty close to a major highway, sees a lot of foot traffic so it is "safer" for new or inexperienced people and of course has great views. Personally I'm not a huge fan. I find the approach to that summit via Rte 3 is pretty monotonous and unexciting and feels longer than what it is. And the past few years the summit is generally so crowded that I don't especially like lingering there amongst the noise and Instagrammers. And Garfield seems to sense my contempt for it because it almost always rewards me with no views when I do get up there. :)

Hopefully they will all be on cruises and Disney vacations later in the year. Also a good reason to go mid-week if you can. Since you've had lousy views.....Garfield 1995.jpg

Hopefully they will all be on cruises and Disney vacations later in the year. Also a good reason to go mid-week if you can. Since you've had lousy views.....View attachment 6555

I have had the privilege of views a few times but not often. I did an out and back to Garfield once from Lincoln Woods on a hot summer day. I think it was 18 miles round trip. I was gassed when I got to the top but Garfield took pity on me and gave me a blue bird summit day for the effort. :)

Is this a major trend or just another isolated weekend. Why are the alarms going off? Just trying to understand if this is an observation or a warning.

Newbies to winter hiking is a trend. Whether it's serious hiking or just snowshoeing the flat lands. Try to find a good, or any, pair of snowshoes right now. Was in KTP yesterday and the snowshoe section was completely bare. No snowshoe of any brand, shape or size was to be had. Covid has ruined my wilderness experience. :mad: ;)

.... there were two cars at Five Corners (overflow from Garfield or a couple of folks who need to check off Galehead off their list) and zero at North Twin.
Many locals park here at 5 corners but are not climbing mountains. There are trails on the north side of Rte 3. One of our vehicles might be parked here on a given day, but we are exploring lowlands.

Newbies to winter hiking is a trend. Whether it's serious hiking or just snowshoeing the flat lands. Try to find a good, or any, pair of snowshoes right now. Was in KTP yesterday and the snowshoe section was completely bare. No snowshoe of any brand, shape or size was to be had. Covid has ruined my wilderness experience. :mad: ;)

Was looking on the Alps Mountaineering site and their -30 bags are sold out until 5/1/21 I did look online for snowshoes and saw those were sold out also. For the few days that SE CT had enough snow for XC or snowshoes, one of the other scout leaders went to the local park and skied on Friday. I went on Saturday after the snow and his tracks had been used by the barebooting crowd. To be fair, we had 6-8 inches I only snowshoed because I wanted to just a 1.25 miles from home.

My job when the kids are out of the house may be one that works Saturday and Sunday and maybe I can have Tuesday and Wednesday off.