Wheeled backpacks for hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
I am recovering from a back injury. My recovery will take several months after which hopefully I can continue day hiking as before. But I may have to give up overnight backpacking if the weight creates too much strain.

I am looking at wheeled backpacks as an aid in future. They put most of the weight onto the wheel and thus off the shoulders and back. The contraption attaches to the body by a harness attached at the shoulders and/or waist. Similar to the sleds skiers haul over the snow. To be clear, these are not backpacks with small wheels like those used as roller luggage for airplane travel. The wheel on these carriers is quite a bit larger.

One model I ran across is called the Dixon Rollerpack (DixonRollerpack.com). Comes in versions rated for loads of 50 and 75 pounds. Cost $385, weighs 7.5 and 9.5 lbs, respectively. It is basically a metal frame to which you attach your gear.

Another such device is The Mule, created by a fellow named Melvin McCoy at cost of $999. See here:

https://gearjunkie.com/mule-backpack

Field reviews not so good, as you can read here:

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/inventor-trying-failing-sell-999-150000807.html

There are other models on the market which one can find by appropriate internet search, ignoring the overwhelming results for wheeled airline luggage. Judging by looks, the models I have seen would work well on roads and flat trails. Rough and steep trails not so much. Some models tout the ability to convert to a true shoulder-carried backpack for steep going and stream crossings.

Has anyone here used a wheeled backpack on hiking trails? Please share your experience.

Does the wheel on the ground disqualify the device for use in certain areas? Would they be prohibited in wilderness areas, for instance? I don't know, maybe they come under regulations that forbid bicycles.

Finally, I have considered another means of avoiding heavy loads, and that is pack stock or porters. Pack animals not viable in New England and New York, of course. Has anyone used porters? Cost, etc.?

Local land managers have the authority to allow wheeled backpacks in wilderness areas, under the Americans With Disabilities Act. You need a letter from your doctor explaining the disability. See this page for more, "Wilderness Access for People With Disabilities":

http://dixonrollerpack.com/28704.html

Seems like it would be tough going down hill?

I've heard of goats in the ADKs, but not sure if they were carrying burdens, or just out for a walk. There are certainly horse trails you could take.

Seems like it would be tough going down hill?

I've heard of goats in the ADKs, but not sure if they were carrying burdens, or just out for a walk. There are certainly horse trails you could take.

That was my thought too. Unless that wheel had some sort of shock absorber/extender that allowed to it extend and retract it seems like you'd be limited to flat, smooth terrain or it would shove you all over the place, which would no doubt be quite uncomfortable with such a rigid frame.

And on the goat thing, I recall peakbagger referencing seeing "pack goats" a few times this year in the Northern Presidentials. Thought that was kinda crazy but apparently it is a thing so it may actually be worth looking into.

One model I ran across is called the Dixon Rollerpack (DixonRollerpack.com). Comes in versions rated for loads of 50 and 75 pounds. Cost $385, weighs 7.5 and 9.5 lbs, respectively. It is basically a metal frame to which you attach your gear.

That is a very interesting product. I'd be curious to see a Winter modification to it as a trail pulk. I bet that would solve many of the problems of using a pulk in deep snow and steeper, narrower terrain by having a ski or similar "float" so all the weight isn't dragging in the snow. Would shorten the overall length of the rig too which would help with steering.

Some other models

Benpacker benpacker.de

Monowalker monowalker.com

Wheelie radicaldesign.com

Comparison of these three models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=885bOAFBpnU

One or more of these has been suggested for walking Camino de Santiago, the famous network of trekking/pilgrimage routes in Europe.

In most places in the Adirondacks, most of these devices would be really impractical due to the nature of the trails.

If I were injured and could not carry a heavy pack, I would be looking to go more in the direction of ultralight backpacking, rather than using a contraption to carry weight.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ultralight-backpacking.html

Of course, in general you need to stick to good weather for the ultralight gig. But in the right weather, if you really focus, you can make the pack very light.

I ran into this guy a couple of years ago in Canfranc, Pyrenees, Aragon Spain. He had been walking from Leon (Le Puy En Velay), France on his way to Santiago Compostela on one of the routes of the Camino de Santiago. So far he had covered about 700 km on his 1500+ walk. Notice that the rig has two wheels in-line as a "rock ramping device" to assist in rocky terrain. He was equipping up to depart as I arrived at the hostel so we didn't have time to talk which I regret, as he seemed to be quite the character.

The video clip is 50 sec.

FI could see this use in other parts of the country where the trails are as rocky and steep as they are here. The couple of trips in NC and TN (Mitchell, Clingman's Dome, LeConte) wouldn't be too bad, some of the Sedona Trails and some of what we saw in Yosemite although we weren't that far in the backcountry there. (Sentinel Dome which was a couple of miles out and back)

Thinking it would be better for trips where you go into areas on old logging roads and rails and then base camp and do day trips from there. (Pack into Pemi, day trips with light gear to Bonds or Flume and Liberty, etc.

As a possible option, I currently use an external frame backpack with a telescoping frame. All the weight is on the hips. The shoulder straps simply stabilize the load. I forget the brand/model. Can look it up if interested.