TSL Snowshoes...Have tried them?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an older pair of TSLs (Expert model) and swear by them. Awesome snowshoes. Fairly lightweight, flexible for a more natural stride, super easy bindings, and aggressive traction. They can be on the pricey side depending on model, but worth every penny, IMO.

I got both of my kids Symbioz Hyperflex for Christmas. They look and feel very solid. Great binding. I fully plan to swipe them and test them out myself. Time will tell on the durability piece.

Please let us know what you find out, curious on durability and how they do on mixed terrain when you have some ice and the occasional rock where you don't take them off to cross that 10-15 feet.

Traction looks pretty aggressive for having smaller points, but plenty of them. Anyone have a review on how they do with snow sticking on them?

I got both of my kids Symbioz Hyperflex for Christmas. They look and feel very solid. Great binding. I fully plan to swipe them and test them out myself. Time will tell on the durability piece.

Those look very interesting for trail hiking. If they grip when flexed they'd be a perfect snowshoe for all the side hills and uneven footing we run into in New England. Looking forward to some feedback on your testing.

Those look very interesting for trail hiking. If they grip when flexed they'd be a perfect snowshoe for all the side hills and uneven footing we run into in New England. Looking forward to some feedback on your testing.

Yep, exactly. For my kids specifically (ages 10 and 12), I wanted something in shorter length - I got them the 20" - and I wanted the binding to be easy since I'd probably often be the one attaching and adjusting. I'm not going to be taking them on a Presi-traverse anytime soon, so I'm less concerned about the unknown durability. But they really do feel pretty good. I'm optimistic. That size is not for unconsolidated snow, though.

A bit of feedback. My Wife and I landed up buying The Highlander Elite Model. First impressions are good. Like what has already been mentioned the binding on this snowshoe is very user friendly. Easy to get on and off and incredibly secure. No question as described by the manufacturer. This is a snowshoe designed for consolidated conditions. They climb, descend and traverse with very nice security. Of course but not after tomorrow’s snow storm the snow has been ideal for these shoes as of late. I come in on the charts sizing into the Medium but I sized up to the Large which is a 27 inch snowshoe which compares in size to most regular sizing by other companies. Being less than 3 inches longer and a bit wider I figured I go with a bit more flotation. Not to mention I am already very familiar with that ballpark length to begin with. Although not by intended design I’m going to give them a try on a local shorter hike after the fresh snow coming just to see how good or bad they are in the soft stuff. Not that I will probably know for awhile for real but the durability/build quality looks good. Being French Made I hope spare parts are available so I can put a repair kit together. Although that will only be hypothetical as these shoes are so new it’s hard to for see potential weaknesses.

I’ve been known to wreck a snowshoe or two and have been in search of the holy grail for years. Since I’ve gone through everyone else I figured I’d give TSL a try. Same result disappointment.

Some background. I’m not a small guy. I may look small from a distance but I’m not. One winter I went through five brand new pairs of snowshoes - 4 Tubbs Flex ALP and 1 Atlas Mountaineer (?) - and last winter I went through 3 brand new pairs of MSR Lightenings. I use them as directed.

Well, the TSL Hyperflex Symbioz didn’t make it 6 trips or a 100 miles before failing in the deep snow on the steep section just below the summit of North Brother. The binding cartridge that holds the heel section in place is only kept together by four small plastic tabs. There isn’t a small plastic tab (or four) that can hold me. The case broke apart and the heel assembly came out. I tried to fix it with straps but that failed twice before I figured it out.

Once I snapped everything back together I couldn’t get the heel assembly slid back in. The how to repair your snowshoe after it breaks instructions didn’t say that the heel piece had to be inside the cartridge before snapping it back together. The last two teeth were slightly longer than the rest to prevent it from being pulled out accidentally (guess they didn’t expect the whole thing to open up) so I had to cut the end teeth away so I could reinsert the heel assembly. It held for the 4+ miles back to the Tote Road but TSL will be hearing from me.

Trying to post the picture here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 144735929_10159392158619114_2590015448691289503_n.jpg
    144735929_10159392158619114_2590015448691289503_n.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been known to wreck a snowshoe or two and have been in search of the holy grail for years. Since I’ve gone through everyone else I figured I’d give TSL a try. Same result disappointment.

Some background. I’m not a small guy. I may look small from a distance but I’m not. One winter I went through five brand new pairs of snowshoes - 4 Tubbs Flex ALP and 1 Atlas Mountaineer (?) - and last winter I went through 3 brand new pairs of MSR Lightenings. I use them as directed.

Well, the TSL Hyperflex Symbioz didn’t make it 6 trips or a 100 miles before failing in the deep snow on the steep section just below the summit of North Brother. The binding cartridge that holds the heel section in place is only kept together by four small plastic tabs. There isn’t a small plastic tab (or four) that can hold me. The case broke apart and the heel assembly came out. I tried to fix it with straps but that failed twice before I figured it out.

Once I snapped everything back together I couldn’t get the heel assembly slid back in. The how to repair your snowshoe after it breaks instructions didn’t say that the heel piece had to be inside the cartridge before snapping it back together. The last two teeth were slightly longer than the rest to prevent it from being pulled out accidentally (guess they didn’t expect the whole thing to open up) so I had to cut the end teeth away so I could reinsert the heel assembly. It held for the 4+ miles back to the Tote Road but TSL will be hearing from me.

Was that last week? I think I read on Facebook someone breaking a TSL shoe attempting North Brother. Ilse forgives you

Mike it looks like you need to use what Fish and Game and many S&R folks use.

https://www.irlsupplies.com/0/product.htm?pid=97581&cat=5846

I really have not seen any modern snowshoe that lasts as long as the original and these appear to be built as well. Some folks did retrofit new bindings like Tubbs TD91s (long since out of production) but I have not seem any modern bindings that would fit. Modern shoes may be lighter but the lighter weight inherently impacts durability. Some folks are willing to make that tradeoff but as you have learned a factory guarantee is not worth much stuck in the woods. I just wish someone could rig up a televator.

Modern snow shoes come and go but this design has been around for 40 plus years. Rarely if ever did they fail in the field. At most the lacing cut on a rock but the lacing was quite durable. I also think storing them in high temps like up in an attic will eventually weaken up the decking and lacing. IMO the durability is one of the reasons they went belly up, they stuck with one model that was built too well, folks only bought one pair. Most folks with modern shoes get trapped into buying the latest and greatest design every few years and inadvertently become the final quality control. I will admit it I am one of them but both of my MSRs have potential flaws that I can only hope break near civilization. The closest pair to them is my Tubbs Katahdins that I got 20 years out of. I only swapped them out as they were wider than the new slightly skinnier models popular on trails these days.

You will need to track down a Tucker Claw binding although a friend of mine replaced his regular claws with a home built Tucker claw that seemed to hold up as well.

Great feedback. Good for you to figure out a repair in the field. There is a lot going on with that whole assembly which certainly correlates to more potential links in the system failing. As peakbagger has already noted "The good'ol Sherpas" were built tough but even more importantly the design was simple and therefore making them very field repairable. I have four different pairs at varying lengths and bindings of Sherpas that are not going in the dumpster any time too soon.

Not to pick on you specifically but that seems kind of crazy. 5 pairs in one Winter? I'm 6'3', 220 lbs before gear and carry way more stuff than most people - probably have a 30-35 lb winter pack depending on the hike (and up until this year I'd been more like 235 before gear) and I got 5 years of steady Winter use out of my Flex Alps before some stress cracks in the crampon assembly finally broke. And I pretty much do zero maintenance on my stuff, will walk on rocks, not overly careful, etc.

Do you put an extreme amount of miles in during the season? Are you using the shoes well beyond their rated weight limit? This just sounds extremely atypical and more indicative of something you're doing versus a manufacturer issue. (I realize it sounds like I'm implying you're an idiot which is specifically NOT my intention. I see your "resume" in your signature and it is clear you are very accomplished and no doubt know how to use the gear - which makes this seem all the more baffling to me).

I am 6'3" and 195. Call it 225 fully dressed and with a full pack. I've gotten probably 7-8 years out of one pair of Flex Alp 24s and 2 binding/crampon assemblies. I just put the third assembly on the same base because, honestly, I could find the assembly but not new snowshoes. I am not easy on gear either. Snowshoe duty is occasionally delegated to the Flex Alp XLs (for extreme trail breaking) or the MSR Denali Ascents (when unlikely to break trail and certain to carry for much or all of the trip.)

One failure was metal fatigue/cracking around the points - replaced before total failure.
Second failure was the pivot point broke off entirely (coincidentally while solo bushwhacking in the Pilot Range, so would I be reckless? ;) )

Tim