Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Moosehead Ski Area Proposal

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,833

    Moosehead Ski Area Proposal

    https://bangordailynews.com/2021/01/...oosehead-lake/

    Hope springs eternal on ski areas. With Weyerhaeuser, the successor to Plum Creek, electing not to proceed with the major recreational development in this region, the local economy has been looking for a savior after the last few didnt pan out. Its definitely not a day trip destination from anywhere except maybe central maine. It makes a drive to Saddleback or Sugarloaf look close by. The area does get a lot of winter snowmachine traffic.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MWV NH
    Posts
    343
    Same drill as Balsams -- need it to be a destination, all-inclusive resort where people stay for extended periods in order to make the numbers work. And Moosehead is quite a haul, even by Balsams standards. Google says it will take you 3:40 to get there from Gorham. Add another hour if coming from Boston.

  3. #3
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    Same drill as Balsams -- need it to be a destination, all-inclusive resort where people stay for extended periods in order to make the numbers work. And Moosehead is quite a haul, even by Balsams standards. Google says it will take you 3:40 to get there from Gorham. Add another hour if coming from Boston.
    I drive longer than that for day hikes....
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

  4. #4
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,909
    Hypothetically speaking this could attract a demographic that flies. Not sure of the size of the Greenville Airport but smaller more executive style Airports are seeing an increase of use during Covid. The local Airport here has been entertaining folks from well out of the area that have been coming in just for the day and for overnight visits. Just this past weekend I spoke with a couple whom had come in from Maryland with their kids for skiing via Fryeburg Airport. Even the folks without the financial means to have their own plane are chartering as those carriers are reducing pricing taking advantage of a market that wants to be in a more secure situation than the typical commercial carrier and can fly into smaller airports. Condos and second homes offer use by not only the primary owner but a wide market via Air B&B/VRBO. The exodus from urban areas into the country has been huge. Not to mention the hoards of folks telecommuting that will probably never go back to the office is fueling a Real Estate shortage. A mid to higher end type of resort is attractive to multi property owners not only from a use for themselves but also as an investment.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,272
    From my town, Greenville ME is five hours and 37 minutes. (That would be clear roads without snow according to the net. It also says my house to Bretton Woods is 3 hours and 46 minutes, maybe on my best day and the fastest single stop for gas and a bathroom, my best day to Lincoln was 3 hours 25 minutes so I'm thinking six hours for Greenville.)

    While you maybe able to charter planes, why would I go to Greenville by plane (costs may be low now as people generally aren't flying as much) and bypass bigger mountains and closer destinations. Looking at hiking video's the view is similar to other Maine peaks with ski areas, green with large lakes. Will there be more or better restaurants and bars? The prominence is about 2000 feet but that's top to bottom, vertical was 1700 feet, not bad, however several others have more. (Sugarloaf, Whiteface (NY) Wildcat, Stowe, Killington)

    If you are looking for a sizeable group to keep returning from Southern New England's population center, you need a reason to bypass the other locations. People fly to CO and UT because it's different than here. To ski terrain that looks like many of the others here, why would I travel that much further?
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,833
    The Whites has the buzz these days, Dixville, Carrabasset, Rangeley and Greenville do not. I do not see that changing anytime soon.

  7. #7
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    From my town, Greenville ME is five hours and 37 minutes. (That would be clear roads without snow according to the net. It also says my house to Bretton Woods is 3 hours and 46 minutes, maybe on my best day and the fastest single stop for gas and a bathroom, my best day to Lincoln was 3 hours 25 minutes so I'm thinking six hours for Greenville.)

    While you maybe able to charter planes, why would I go to Greenville by plane (costs may be low now as people generally aren't flying as much) and bypass bigger mountains and closer destinations. Looking at hiking video's the view is similar to other Maine peaks with ski areas, green with large lakes. Will there be more or better restaurants and bars? The prominence is about 2000 feet but that's top to bottom, vertical was 1700 feet, not bad, however several others have more. (Sugarloaf, Whiteface (NY) Wildcat, Stowe, Killington)

    If you are looking for a sizeable group to keep returning from Southern New England's population center, you need a reason to bypass the other locations. People fly to CO and UT because it's different than here. To ski terrain that looks like many of the others here, why would I travel that much further?
    You don't own your own Lear?
    Last edited by skiguy; 01-21-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,833
    One of the claims of the Balsams project was they had a nearby airport (actually 45 minutes away in Milan) with facilities for handling jets. The airport in Milan has a longer runway and facilities than other regional airports. Sunday River used to park their jet in Milan as Bethel was too short at 3800 feet long. Milan has a 5200 long runway, 100 feet wide, Greenville is 4200 75 ft wide and Fryeburg is 4200 75' wide Carrabasset is 2900 by 75. Private pilots like longer wider runways. One of the former Berlin mill owners had a Lear and another owner had a Falcon and both landed regularly in Milan.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lewiston, and Biddeford Maine
    Posts
    797
    Hey! Carrabasset Valley has an airport

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MWV NH
    Posts
    343
    I drove past the Milan airport (Berlin Regional) Monday and they were plowing the runway with a vengeance. Getting ready already!

    Btw, I think Greenville is even shorter -- 4000'.
    Last edited by NHClimber; 01-21-2021 at 09:51 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bethlehem, NH
    Posts
    475
    Snow train. Make the journey part of the destination.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Snow train. Make the journey part of the destination.
    Well. if one business is in more dire straits than mid-size ski areas, it's passenger rail. It would be 100's of millions (I may be light in my estimate) to retrofit the existing East Coast line with true high speed rail, which is much faster than Acela.

    If you can convince Disney or Universal or someone to build a theme for year round visits and have skiing as an add-on. (or a large water park with indoor and outdoor attractions but people with that kind of money to lend have more safe and lucrative places to deploy their cash.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  13. #13
    Senior Member TEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The Whites has the buzz these days, Dixville, Carrabasset, Rangeley and Greenville do not. I do not see that changing anytime soon.
    I haven't seen any specific models about how Northwestern Maine will be affected by global warming, but as southern ski areas either have shorter seasons and/or are forced to close altogether, I suspect that the more northern areas will see a rise in visitors. Torngats, here I come!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,833
    Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    I haven't seen any specific models about how Northwestern Maine will be affected by global warming, but as southern ski areas either have shorter seasons and/or are forced to close altogether, I suspect that the more northern areas will see a rise in visitors. Torngats, here I come!
    One of Les Otten's claims about the Balsams is that its on a different more reliable storm track than even the Whites and Central NH. His claim is its going to get more snow and hold it longer. I think I have heard the same claim for Jay, Saddleback Sugarloaf and no doubt Moosehead.

    Of course in the early concept he was planning to run a long pipeline from the Androscoggin River in Errol, up and over Dixville Notch to the resort for to to bottom snow making. The problem, with the concept is that the Balsams drainage runs to the Connecticut River and therefore this could introduce cross contamination between riversheds. My guess is that concept is pushed way back in the plan if it still exists.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 01-22-2021 at 01:13 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lewiston, and Biddeford Maine
    Posts
    797
    As soon as NH and Southern Maine get as populated as the Boston Metro area, Greenville won't be that far away for the people living in those areas.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •