Mask mandate on Federal property, including WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the locally made Ragged Mountain mask .........

Same here, the state bought a bunch early and I got one. I'm doubling it up over an ear-pegged mask lately in stores. Also I thought everyone looked as silly as my natural ears when they wear ear straps.

There should be a mask surge. The UK strain is apparently associated with higher mortality, and I read one news article that vaccine is ineffective against the South African strain. The Moderna CEO says the virus will be endemic.

November 20:

January 21 (note the change in the Y axis):
attachment.php

The mask mandates failed to stop the spread.
I fail to see the relationship between this graph and mask mandates and the conclusion the poster is stating. Just because their was a mandate what was the compliance? Especially considering family gatherings were on the rise at the time the mandate was put in place.

Last edited:
Right!

Much conflation here. The bottom line is mask mandates are ineffective. This is regardless of whether "masks don't work" or whether "people don't wear mask when mandated to do so." The poster's conclusion is correct. You are only debating about the reason why it is correct.

I fail to see the relationship between this graph and mask mandates and the conclusion the poster is stating. Just because their was a mandate what was the compliance? Especially considering family gatherings were on the rise at the time the mandate was put in place.

school back in session was probably the predominant cause of the increase in Covid cases. I have yet to see any data proving or disproving that masks work, or don't work, to stop the spread of the virus.

school back in session was probably the predominant cause of the increase in Covid cases. I have yet to see any data proving or disproving that masks work, or don't work, to stop the spread of the virus.

Masks are mandated at schools. If schools are the predominant cause of the massive surge in COVID cases as you suggest, then how does that prove masks are stopping the spread?

Masks are mandated at schools. If schools are the predominant cause of the massive surge in COVID cases as you suggest, then how does that prove masks are stopping the spread?

While not holding reports in my hand personally, I've heard that schools at least in CT are not the predominate cause. In CT, most of our schools for MS and HS are hybrid so less than 50% of the students are in the building at any one time. (it's 50/50 although some parents opted to keep their kids on 100% remote)

Until the majority of people are tested, whether they have symptoms or not, we really have no way of knowing where the spread is. Maybe kids at schools without symptoms are bringing it home, but how many of them are tested? Colleges are testing their kids, public grade schools are not. To the moderators, can polls still be done here? I'm curious, how many people here have been tested? Besides yes or no, would choices be better as more than 3x more than 5x or would it be better, within two weeks, within 30 days, within 3 months. (More than 5x and within 30 days, someone in my house has been tested in last two weeks)

Yesterday I saw six kids, of HS and college age, from at least four different households playing street hockey at one of their homes without masks. They would also go into the garage to get drinks) I'd be incredibly naivete if I thought these kids only socialized with this group. (It's like AIDs if you have have sex with someone, you are also having it with all their partners, except, here, it's whomever they've shared the same air with) Some families are being real good, some are not. They are packing the bars that Sierra and I have seen them in

OTOH, Since Covid-19, I've not had even a cold, knock, knock. Masks might have helped a little when I've been indoors, however, I've been even more anti-social than before and one of my favorite sayings at scout meetings is "This is why I hike alone"

If you don't look, you won't see. A simple DuckDuckGo search provided these reputable links:

https://files.nc.gov/covid/document...iveness-of-face-masks-to-prevent-SARS-CoV.pdf

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/...le-of-masks-in-preventing-covid-19-infection/

To the moderators, can polls still be done here? I'm curious, how many people here have been tested? Besides yes or no, would choices be better as more than 3x more than 5x or would it be better, within two weeks, within 30 days, within 3 months. (More than 5x and within 30 days, someone in my house has been tested in last two weeks)

It should still work. What error did it give you when you tried?

Tim

The huge surge in cases coincides with colder temps and more people going inside where air circulation is likely suspect in many establishments. Restaurants have tons of people together not wearing masks and interacting outside their "bubbles". I think focusing on mask mandates and whether masks work is just continued politically motivated nonsense cherry-picking coincident circumstances to "prove" your respective point. There are countless, perfectly legal circumstances where people are interacting in close proximity without masks and not surprisingly cases are exploding. This was forecast by most experts over the Summer and to no one's surprise it is happening. I think we've beaten the whole mask argument into the ground at this point.

While the New England data doesn't show that mask mandates are working, it has been lacking a control group since the New Hampshire mask mandate.

On the other hand, we do have an active experiment in the United States with the Dakotas.

Both saw huge spikes, and both saw huge drops, regardless of mask mandate:
attachment.php

In recent weeks, North Dakota appeared to have less cases. Was it the masks? Or was it because they significantly reduced testing?
attachment.php

Attachments

• NDSDCompare1.jpg
    NDSDCompare1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 297
  • NDSDCompare1a.jpg
    NDSDCompare1a.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
The huge surge in cases coincides with colder temps and more people going inside where air circulation is likely suspect in many establishments. Restaurants have tons of people together not wearing masks and interacting outside their "bubbles". I think focusing on mask mandates and whether masks work is just continued politically motivated nonsense cherry-picking coincident circumstances to "prove" your respective point. There are countless, perfectly legal circumstances where people are interacting in close proximity without masks and not surprisingly cases are exploding. This was forecast by most experts over the Summer and to no one's surprise it is happening. I think we've beaten the whole mask argument into the ground at this point.
Excellent post.

Plotting infection rate versus mask mandates is not science. I could plot number of pirate attacks versus degrees of global warming and pronounce a conclusion as well.

Seriously, there are other factors involved such as fatigue from isolation, weather, the benefits of mucus from allergies and so on and so forth. For example, in the northern hemisphere HVAC systems tend to seal up to save energy by not admitting as much fresh air into buildings. We could go and on.

The physics of respiratory aerosols are pretty well known. Arguing that reducing the amount of aerosols is ineffective has nothing to do with science.

Arguing that reducing the amount of aerosols is ineffective has nothing to do with science.

But again, no one here is arguing that. This thread is about the effectiveness of mask mandates; not about the effectiveness of masks. If you want to start a discussion about the effectiveness of masks, please do so.

To be accurate, this thread is about the recent presidential executive order about a federal mask mandate, not about mask mandates and whether they are effective or not.

Tim

Plotting infection rate versus mask mandates is not science. I could plot number of pirate attacks versus degrees of global warming and pronounce a conclusion as well.

We have been told that mask mandates are "following the science" and that they will stop the spread. Any pirate not living under a rock can see that the spread was not stopped. If a pirate were assessing the results, they would make the mask mandates walk the plank. Yarrr!

Last edited:
Yesterday, on tuckerman Ravine trail, most people wearing masks, but not everyone. I had my balaclava on to keep my face from freezing, but it pulls over my nose easy enough. Several large groups skiing up thought they could take the entire trail width, three wide. Sheesh. no 6 foot distance maintained there.

. Several large groups skiing up thought they could take the entire trail width, three wide. .
A bit of thread drift here. Were they skinning up the Hiking Trail. Last time I checked Skiers are required to skin on The Sherbie single file.

A bit of thread drift here. Were they skinning up the Hiking Trail. Last time I checked Skiers are required to skin on The Sherbie single file.

The hiking trail. I've only seen skiiers going down Sherburne. I've never seen any going up it, but there are only a couple spots you can see it from the hiking trail. There were some ski tracks going over to Sherburne in a couple spots in the powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.