Mask mandate on Federal property, including WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainman

Reaction score
Although I haven’t been able to find the full text, it appears Biden’s order instructs all agencies to follow CDC guidelines and require masks if you can’t distance (6 feet).
That would require mask wearing on most commonly used trails in the WMNF.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...federal-workforce-and-requiring-mask-wearing/

Sec. 2. Immediate Action Regarding Federal Employees, Contractors, Buildings, and Lands. (a) The heads of executive departments and agencies (agencies) shall immediately take action, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to require compliance with CDC guidelines with respect to wearing masks, maintaining physical distance, and other public health measures by: on-duty or on-site Federal employees; on-site Federal contractors; and all persons in Federal buildings or on Federal lands.

In my opinion I have been very successful the last three hikes maintaining a minimum 6 foot distance. If I hear people coming I usually step aside the requisite distance and tell them to come on by. On occasion other folks do. It has not been a major problem. One was on New Years day while the other two were on Friday's. I also have a lightweight balaclava that I use in winter, I usually have it pulled down past my nose but its easy to pull back over in about a second. My biggest exposure is post hike where I stop at store.

Same here. We always carry masks, but have always been able to just step far enough away from the trail to not have to put them on. Just have to be paying attention and see people coming a little bit ahead of time, so you can pick a suitable spot to leave the trail.

A couple times this summer we have been annoyed by faster people charging up behind us without saying anything and just shouldering their way by on the trail without giving us the opportunity to safely get out of the way or mask up. Very inconsiderate, but I guess there are always a few of those people in any setting.

pretty simple, I hear or see you coming I put up my gaiter/mask and try to give as much social distance as is reasonable on that spot on the trail. I do this out of respect for you and hope you will do the same. Started back hiking in mid-June, usually once a week and I have found 99% of hikers get it. Agree with the above comments, scariest place is the gas station store and public restrooms. I have the advantage of being able to avoid weekends and I am an early bird, but I have been very comfortable on the trail in this regard. I don't think this is about enforcement as much as it is that (most?) people are smart enough to do the right thing. I think it could be a bigger issue at places like the lower slides when good weather breaks. Hopefully vaccines will be going strong by then.

Last edited:
They still haven't figured out enforcement outside of the woods.

My hope is that the entire mask thing will become much less of a political statement and issue over the next 100 days. And like any other socially appropriate behavior not need to be ENFORCED. We’ll see.

November 20:

January 21 (note the change in the Y axis):
attachment.php

The mask mandates failed to stop the spread.

Attachments

• nhmavtcases1.jpg
    nhmavtcases1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
This is pretty similar to the statewide mandate that was already in effect.

Flu cases are nearly non existent this year. If these mask and distancing mandates don't help curb respiratory virus spread, why do you suppose flu cases have been so low?

[/url]

Probably because those flu cases were counted as Covid cases.

or

If the masks work so well for flu...why not for Covid?

Last edited:
Since the COVID spike this fall, I feel like people have been very conscientious about keeping distance on trails or putting on a mask when they encounter others. I'm pretty impressed by it. I don't think this new mandate will change much because it's already been happening.

Probably because those flu cases were counted as Covid cases.

or

If the masks work so well for flu...why not for Covid?

I contend they are working for Covid and the numbers would be much worse without them. Covid is more contagious than the flu. The numbers were going to go up in the fall/winter regardless of masks because people are now doing their socializing in environments that promote spread instead of outside in conditions where we know spread is retarded. I'm not sure unenforced mandates are doing much to motivate people to follow guidance. Folks have the information and they either give a shit or they don't and will act accordingly.

Opinion only.....

Sadly, restaurants and bars and social gatherings where people are not socially distanced are spreading the illness. No one has figured out how to eat and drink with a mask on so there is plenty of aerosol in the air. (mask off, drink, don't breathe, put it back on, right, don't breathe when your mask is off) Anyplace crowded is an issue. It will be interesting to see how schools function after 100 days. In most places here, for middle school and up, they are in a hybrid situation, no lunches, less than 50% of students so spacing is okay. The buildings were not built for 100% capacity and allowing for spacing.

I've been local mostly and mid-week so I rarely see anyone on the trail and since it's hardwoods, it's easy to get pretty far off the trail. I then wait a few moments as there is no reason to jump back in their wash. I have no idea on how some steep trails, how you move over for people passing from behind. (Flume Slide, when it gets steep, Knife Edge, the back side of Saddleback in the ADK, Huntington Ravine, you aren't getting six feet away from anyone on parts of these trails.)

Opinion only.....

Sadly, restaurants and bars and social gatherings where people are not socially distanced are spreading the illness. No one has figured out how to eat and drink with a mask on so there is plenty of aerosol in the air. (mask off, drink, don't breathe, put it back on, right, don't breathe when your mask is off) Anyplace crowded is an issue. It will be interesting to see how schools function after 100 days. In most places here, for middle school and up, they are in a hybrid situation, no lunches, less than 50% of students so spacing is okay. The buildings were not built for 100% capacity and allowing for spacing.

I've been local mostly and mid-week so I rarely see anyone on the trail and since it's hardwoods, it's easy to get pretty far off the trail. I then wait a few moments as there is no reason to jump back in their wash. I have no idea on how some steep trails, how you move over for people passing from behind. (Flume Slide, when it gets steep, Knife Edge, the back side of Saddleback in the ADK, Huntington Ravine, you aren't getting six feet away from anyone on parts of these trails.)

I pass restaurants either on foot or driving and shake my head at the number of people eating inside. It is in the top 3 places to get Covid19, yet people still go out to eat. I do limited takeout, it will be sometime before I sit down in a restaurant or a bar.

My hope is that the entire mask thing will become much less of a political statement and issue over the next 100 days. And like any other socially appropriate behavior not need to be ENFORCED. We’ll see.

Exactly. Hopefully those of whom have not been, will learn to be respectful adults, and enforcement won't be an issue. It does you no harm to carry a mask and put it on when you are indoors or around other people outside, and you will save lives doing so.

I've found that these Brooks Brothers masks are outstanding for activities such as hiking and downhill skiing, and the fabric is superior for both filtration and breathability over homemade and most commercially purchased washable, reusable masks, even though the finish quality and straps are no longer as good as the original run. My teenage nephew wore one all fall while playing high school soccer.

Bonafide Masks, is a family-owned, U.S. company that imports and sells genuine KN95 masks. Currently their prices are reasonable—$12.50 for 10, free shipping—and they expedite their orders quickly.

I prefer the locally made Ragged Mountain mask as they do not have ear loops. I find the masks fit better with straps that go over the back of my head. I noticed they have winter version made of fleece. I did pick up a merino wool mask for winter use but was not happy with the fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.