North Face teams up with Gucci

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna look good in those Norwegian Welts strutting 5th Avenue.

I thought Gucci and TNF were the same company, or was that Patagonia and Gucci, you mean Patagucci isn't a real company. (Okay, to be fair, Patagonia has done a bunch of good things for the environment and the mountains.)

attachment.php

I have a pair. They are awesome, although I think they run a little bit on the large side.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 233
A lot of the outdoor companies have been trying to capture the market for "suburban mountaineers" looking for hardcore outdoor gear to go out on the town. Been a trend for awhile now actually. I think most of the major outdoor companies, even the serious ones, have urban clothing lines. I think we can all see the value in a $900 Gore-Tex Windstopper cardigan to trek from the Range Rover to the Starbucks lobby to grab that $11 macchiato. You never know when the shit will hit the fan on a brisk 40 degree morning in a mall parking lot. :)

I thought Gucci and TNF were the same company, or was that Patagonia and Gucci, you mean Patagucci isn't a real company. (Okay, to be fair, Patagonia has done a bunch of good things for the environment and the mountains.)

So what brands do you rugged outdoor types favor for the trail these days if NF and Pat are passe??

Which logos are gracing your chest and shoulders?

As few logos as possible. In large part, this stuff (clothing, gear, etc.) is all made in the same Chinese factories. You can buy the "no logo" base layer in Walmart for $10, or you can pay a bunch of middlemen for the same garment with a logo for $60.

Safety gear (climbing ropes and hardware, ice axes, crampons helmets, PLB, etc.) I buy name brands and bite the price bullet, so as to take fewer chances. The rest of the stuff I try to get knockoffs or pro deals.

(And before anyone condemns knockoffs as "evil" remember that the garments are made by the same slave labor at the same original cost; your extra money for the "logo" item is just lining the pockets of middlemen.)

Same with me, I picked up my goretex pro jacket and pants for less than 1/2 price from Beans as end of the year closeouts. I think both were bought before the change in their guarantee

I do run Darn Tuff winter socks they make especially for the military. They do have over the calf winter grade socks (#04050) https://darntough.com/products/unisex-merino-wool-t4050-tactical-otc-heavyweight-tactical-socks. I think they are also used as part of military ECWS (Extended Cold Weather System)gear.

Darn Tuff sells seconds by the bag full at the factory sale ever year. I think I paid $5 a pair last year (retail is $31 a pair). They last a long time. The seconds so not have the lifetime guarantee but at the price I pay for them I am not that upset. I think I have enough in stock or in rotation to last several years.

I have not really seen any major new fabrics or features for several years so gear for a year or two ago is about the same as what one would get brand new this year. The one exception may be soft shell fabrics.

So what brands do you rugged outdoor types favor for the trail these days if NF and Pat are passe??

I still wear a Patagonia shell that's around 15 years old, an Ibex hat and carry a Serratus Genie pack. No need to buy new gear when the old stuff still works.

I have an LL Bean Anorak bought at the original and only factory outlet around 1988. Soon after I got it I added pit zips and did quite few of my original 4 K list with it. I still use it for hikes occasionally mostly use it for winter activities like firewood or repainting my property lines which I do in the late winter. Its got a bit of red paint and has had a few repairs but still a go to piece of equipment. Its some sort of polyester shell with a light fleecelining.

Eddie Bauer First Ascent stuff when I can get it on Clearance or a 60% off sale. The sleeves are long enough to cover my wrists. Patagucci's web sales on base layers or pants, and I have a few running t-shirts I bought from them. I have some running shorts from them, too, bought on clearance. The quality is pretty good. My favorite pair of pants are some stretchy material from their web sale/clearance. I wish they still made them, I'd buy several more pairs.

Another Darn Tuff devotee, however, a rotation seems to help. Recent things have included a fair amount at Ragged, some Bean clearance rack items, even a couple of Izod items. (100% Polyester, densely woven, it's not part of the White Mtn winter gear but late fall here it's fine) The winter whites gear is still wind-bloc fleece from EMS, fleece lined pants, (1 EMS - late 90's 50% discount, one LL Bean Clearance, a pair of made for BSA Ripstop Nylon pants, a pair of TNF pants that were on clearance - seconds, the zipper is upside down, they zip down to close.)

At this point, I'm shopping deep discounts for the 3rd of 4th pair of almost anything, well, if I could find a pair of almost glacier glasses for 20 bucks I'd buy them as back up for my glaciers or a second pair of $5.00 googles.