Potential Busy Weekend for F&G

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of the factors are in place for a busy F&G weekend

Blue skies both days and the tail end of a holiday week for some. It going to suck lots of folks from down south up north.

Unusually warm early January conditions up until now

Unusually low snow conditions up north until this weekend (I barebooted up to Greenleaf Hut 8 days ago). I was in 2 feet of mostly powder yesterday in Randolph at less than 2000 feet.

Its been snowing almost daily for the last 7 days. Still not a typical January snow pack but no crust so snowshoes are needed.

Winds are going to be cranking up all day into Sunday with -30 wind chills expected this evening until Sunday Temps will be dropping all day

My guess is lots of folks are going to be getting in over their heads and some will be depending on a cell phone call to get them out.

Lots of the factors are in place for a busy F&G weekend

Blue skies both days and the tail end of a holiday week for some. It going to suck lots of folks from down south up north.

My guess is lots of folks are going to be getting in over their heads and some will be depending on a cell phone call to get them out.

Plus there is NO snow on the ground south of Concord. Seems like non-Winter except in the hills. Always fools folks heading North.

We'll see, todays weather here, while clear and bright, is windy and cold, wind-chills near zero, so maybe some will figure out if it's cold here, it will be cold there too.

Higher Summits forecast looks bleak also, they even mention that other 4K peaks may get 100 MPH gusts today and tonight. Many times people may stay away from Washington on a day today and ventures someplace a bit lower and hopefully safer. Today and tomorrow that may be Tecumseh where you can get to the ski slopes if you want to be found/seen during operations.

https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/higher-summit-forecast.aspx

Staying at home myself:

Definitely colder than yesterday, with enough of a breeze to have a strong chilling effect even below treeline. Stayed low today. All the parking lots in Crawford Notch were full.

Avalanche forecast was for high danger as well and based on that last article there are lots of unprepared and inexperienced skiiers looking to get into the ravines. Another bad sign.

90 MPH with gusts to 105 as Saturday evening (-65 wind chill). Around 4 degrees at my house in Gorham. Hope no one is out there.