ATC "Recommends" No Long Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question is will they recognize a 2021 thru-hike I suppose.

What happens if they don't? Thrubies don't strike me as the type to care if the ATC recognizes them or not. Judging by the shelter logs from the summer they didn't give a shit last year and judging by the graffiti, many of them embraced being "outlaws."

What happens if they don't? Thrubies don't strike me as the type to care if the ATC recognizes them or not. Judging by the shelter logs from the summer they didn't give a shit last year and judging by the graffiti, many of them embraced being "outlaws."

That's what I saw of the few thru hikers I talked to last year in VT.

There is lot of debate on Whiteblaze. Some folks want that self affirmed certificate from the ATC, some regard an "illegal" hike as a bonus to prove how tough they are. Reportedly a bunch of the hostel owners down south desperate for cash just kept up normal business last spring. This was early on in Covid when it was the disease of the rich folks in Boston and the west coast, now that its in the rural areas and the body count has gone up I wonder what the interest will be in hosting potential vectors every night?

Yeah, this makes sense. You can get on a plane, train, car, bus, boat, bike and travel anywhere you want in the country. But, hiking in the woods is not recommended.

Yeah, this makes sense. You can get on a plane, train, car, bus, boat, bike and travel anywhere you want in the country. But, hiking in the woods is not recommended.

I think it's more sleeping in a shed with a dozen strangers that isn't recommended. For people walking 2000 miles, thrubies are surprisingly lazy. There's not a chance in hell everyone is pitching their own shelters if it's weathering out.

It's not the walking-in-the-woods part, it's the sleeping in the shelters and gathering at the popular rest/gear/social spots that they are concerned with. I am far less concerned with cycling solo than hiking solo as there is far more room (on the road) to avoid even brief contact with other users than on a narrow trail through dense forest.

Tim

Don't forget, they don't stay in the woods. They go into local cities and towns to resupply and rest.

It's not the walking-in-the-woods part, it's the sleeping in the shelters and gathering at the popular rest/gear/social spots that they are concerned with. I am far less concerned with cycling solo than hiking solo as there is far more room (on the road) to avoid even brief contact with other users than on a narrow trail through dense forest.

Tim

Well, of course that is true. However, you can always use a tent. And isn't much of the trail on federal land (all of it?), so masks are mandated? And, I know they go into towns. My point is that millions of people are traveling on interstate highways and they also stop for food, gas, lodging.

And, a hiker on a thru hike of say 4-5 months is going to be "close" to at lot less people than if he were home living his usual life, I would think. Of course, if he just lives in his basement and has food brought to him, then maybe not.

Last edited:
The AT runs through very rural areas with poor medical facilities. An asymptomatic thru hiker could easily spread Covid to other thru hikers and town folks. Few thru hikers do a a "pure" hike these days where zeros are not taken in town. The current approach is a town day every 4 or 5 days. Most hostels are "under the radar" operations run either for cash or for charity. Lots of shared spaces and the rule is generally there is always room for one more if the weather is nasty.

If I ever walk 2200 miles you better believe I'll expect a "Plaque Suitable for Framing." :)

If I ever walk 2200 miles you better believe I'll expect a "Plaque Suitable for Framing." :)

IS that a Plaque or Plague?

Another's mentioned, it's not the walking, it's the tight shelter on rainy nights, especially early when their is less hiker spread. It's people who don't know if they've come into contact with someone and are asymptomatic.

Some will still go as being a rogue makes it better. The healthcare systems in some of these locations as others mentioned, can't take a shock to the system. Other people shouldn't go, but I won't get sick......(that's kind of selfish)