Taconic Crest Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiker13901

Reaction score
Thinking of doing the 37 mile Taconic Crest trail in very late March.
Any tips, ideas, places to camp, eat, etc. Any suggestions on hiking it, most importantly.

Thank you.

I've done a few sections of it and it is pretty straightforward logistically. If I recall correctly "at large"/dispersed camping is allowed so finding spots to camp is a non issue, Most of the sections I did had fairly open woods. There are several websites on the trail if you haven't already found them. You can try these as a starting point:

https://taconichikingclub.org/taconic-crest-trail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taconic_Crest_Trail

If you use the search feature on this forum I believe you'll find some older threads on the topic. I seem to recall following one awhile back when I was hiking out that way.

I was the co-director TCT end-to-end for 10 years. It began as a hike, but morphed into more of a speed hike and then a race for some after I was involved with the event.
Unless you're set on doing it piecemeal or on your own, I think the best way to do it is by signing up early enough to get one of the limited available slots for the organized event. That provides much of the support.
The End to End begins at Berry Pond in the Pittsfield State Forest and ends in S Vermont.
How we ran it, the volunteers used to prepare breakfast before sunup and would move your vehicle to the end. You could prepare lunches or beverages and the volunteers would meet along the way for you to pick up your package.
The event is not 37 miles, it's the traditional 29miler that the Taconic Hiking Club has run for decades.
We served hot dogs and beverages at the the N terminus.
I can't say how any of this may have changed.
Tips for hiking/running the TCT: It's a series of ups and downs, ups and downs, from MA to VT. Almost the entire distance you're in deciduous forest and hiking it in spring is best done when the leaves are out as it can hot without canopy. Autumn is a good time, maybe one of the nicest times to hike part or all of it.
A few years ago the Taconic Hiking Club commissioned cartographer Liz Cruz to design a map. Even if Liz hadn't designed the maps for my two books and numerous articles, I'd tell you her TCT map is a beauty. Shows all the side trails, proper elevations, private property and much more. You can use the map to plan an end to end or section hikes. You may want to have 2 vehicles if you're looking to section hike. Depending on section, some of the trails to the hollows (the cols) come from dirt roads that involve car spots or dropoffs.
Berlin Mt, the highest point of the TCT is nearby and one of my favorite hikes.

Last edited:
Thinking of doing the 37 mile Taconic Crest trail in very late March.
Any tips, ideas, places to camp, eat, etc. Any suggestions on hiking it, most importantly.

Thank you.

How much snow are you looking to find or avoid?

I did the Taconic Crest Trail a few years ago. Fantastic trail. It goes very quickly - I remember the footpath being quite smooth and well maintained and not as much roller coaster up and down as you might expect.
I love the Taconics and this area in particular. I camped up on Berlin Mountain not that long ago which was awesome. As Peakbagr said, the TCT gets quite a lot of snow. Storms come across the Hudson valley and dump extra snow on the Taconics once they hit those high elevations. In late March there will almost certainly be quite a bit of remaining snowpack. I was up in the Taconics on April 17th a few years ago and there was still a lot of snow. The TCT has high elevations - remember Berlin Mountain is over 2800' tall. So bring your winter gear as you would a regular winter hike.