Tent Stakes For Frozen Ground

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i say concrete screws i mean those screws that are just like coated deck screws.

OK. I was a little confused when I Googled it. That is what I thought you meant but I also found concrete anchors for $150 and up which is obviously a no-go. When you use a screw what do you do for tie outs? Do they actually stay on the screw? Would seem like they'd slip off pretty easily. Just over-thinking it as sierra would say... :p

OK. I was a little confused when I Googled it. That is what I thought you meant but I also found concrete anchors for $150 and up which is obviously a no-go. When you use a screw what do you do for tie outs? Do they actually stay on the screw? Would seem like they'd slip off pretty easily. Just over-thinking it as sierra would say... :p

Put the screw through the tie out loop and twist it so the loop tightens around the screw.

Put the screw through the tie out loop and twist it so the loop tightens around the screw.

OK. Figured that might cut the tie out loop doing that but I guess you don't need to twist it much to get the tension. Thanks for info and patience with my obsessing as usual!

I just tried a 1/4 inch x 4 inch lag screw installed with an adjustable wrench and it screwed in and out easily and when I pulled on it with 60 lbs of force (measured by my spring scale) it held just fine. I also tried an aluminum Y stake and it went in easily and held 60 lbs. but broke while trying to remove it. A 4 inch long nail also went in easily but I needed a claw hammer to get it out. I think hex head screws installed with a ratchet and socket might work best.

Last edited:
I just tried a 1/4 inch x 4 inch lag screw installed with an adjustable wrench and it screwed in and out easily and when I pulled on it with 60 lbs of force (measured by my spring scale) it held just fine. I also tried an aluminum Y stake and it went in easily and held 60 lbs. but broke while trying to remove it. A 4 inch long nail also went in easily but I needed a claw hammer to get it out. I think hex head screws installed with a ratchet and socket might work best.

Excellent! I just got my nail pegs yesterday and I have a few types of screws ready to try out in the yard later (we had some friends over last night and I'm a wee bit hungover so the enthusiasm meter is a bit low right now). This all sounds promising. Thanks for the data.