New Winter / Summer Daypack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
Hello.

I have been using the same Osprey backpack for 20-25 years. I bought it at Hilton's Tent City when they were just becoming available in stores. I believe it is +/- 30L. It has a large pouch on the outside face that can open up to accommodate a pair of snowshoes. It has a large zipper that goes from top to bottom in order to open the whole pack like at clam shell. It has a hydration pocket, two small "lid" pockets and side mesh pockets. It also has loops for ice tools. Also, I like a cushioned hip belt!

So...I am looking for a new one. I use it as a day hiker, both summer and winter. I love the ease of carrying snowshoes, the durability and the fact that I can fit a lot in case I want to bring a stove/cookset and some warm winter gear. Right now I can fit cookset, ice tools, crampons, snowshoes, poles, food, water and winter clothing. Along with other small items like compass, Plb, etc.

Any ideas? I have looked and I just can't seem to land on anything that seems NOT overkill for summer but sizable and durable enough for winter. I might take a trip to Hiltons and see what they have since I would rather give them the dough.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This kind of thing appeals to me, but more packs to decide from would be better!

Mammut Trion Nordwand 28

Personally, I use 2 different packs. Something big enough for Winter is typically way too big and heavy for Summer. But if you want the 'training weight' or 'building character' (my wife's claim, I say 'building swear words!), go for it.

I used Gregory packs for 30+ years and loved them. Very durable and high functionality. About 6 years ago, I bought the Dueter trail Pro 24. Best pack I ever owned, tough as nails and comfortable, even when packed to the gills. I rig my snowshoes the same way on every pack. I tie a loop of Perlon cord between my ice axe loops, the diameter is just enough to slide your snowshoes in about 5 inches. Then I tie a piece of webbing with a buckle to the loop you hang your pack from. You simply slide your shoes in the loop at the bottom, then pass the webbing through the top of both snowshoes and buckle. Takes about 15 seconds on and off and they ride vertically, so they don't get snagged on anything.

I too was an Osprey pack lover for many, many years and am a recent convert to ULA: Circuit (60+L) and Photon (30L); also a Gossamer Gear Minimalist 24. By the way, I have an Atmos 50, Exos 34, Stratos 26 (?), Daylite, and Raptor 14 if anybody's looking!

I used Gregory packs for 30+ years and loved them. Very durable and high functionality. About 6 years ago, I bought the Dueter trail Pro 24. Best pack I ever owned, tough as nails and comfortable, even when packed to the gills. I rig my snowshoes the same way on every pack. I tie a loop of Perlon cord between my ice axe loops, the diameter is just enough to slide your snowshoes in about 5 inches. Then I tie a piece of webbing with a buckle to the loop you hang your pack from. You simply slide your shoes in the loop at the bottom, then pass the webbing through the top of both snowshoes and buckle. Takes about 15 seconds on and off and they ride vertically, so they don't get snagged on anything.

This sounds brilliant and may solve a problem I'm having with my current pack. Do you have a photo of this with the snowshoes loaded by any chance? Curious to get a visual on this.

Fantastic!
Thank you.

I think I will try the dueter.

I tie a loop of Perlon cord between my ice axe loops, the diameter is just enough to slide your snowshoes in about 5 inches. Then I tie a piece of webbing with a buckle to the loop you hang your pack from. You simply slide your shoes in the loop at the bottom, then pass the webbing through the top of both snowshoes and buckle. Takes about 15 seconds on and off and they ride vertically, so they don't get snagged on anything.

I do something similar. One string between the ice axe loops, then a second one between the tops of the daisy chains, connected with a cord lock clamp. Slide the shoes into the bottom loop, then pass the upper loop over the tops and tighten the cord lock clamp.

Last edited:
This sounds brilliant and may solve a problem I'm having with my current pack. Do you have a photo of this with the snowshoes loaded by any chance? Curious to get a visual on this.

When I can, I will snap a picture of it. I confess to having a hard time sometimes loading photos on this site. pm your phone number if you want and I will send you a few good pictures directly. I'll still try to post here as well. I'm not home now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sierra.JPG
    Sierra.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited by a moderator:
My GF is using a Seek Outside Flight One. She loves it because its so easy to strap whatever you want to it. I have an Unaweep, external Frame pack, and strapping snowshoes was never a problem. Attaching anything to it was never a problem.