Is there an uptick in using small sleds to descend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t confuse green squares (reputation) with likes. But yes, that was the effect of reputation and I believe when it was shut off that Mohamed pointed out that they had encouraged puerile behavior. Likes have not ever been enabled. They behave just like Facebook in that everyone can see them and who they came from.

Tim

Speaking of reputation, it did seem fitting that Joan Jett and Miley sang Joan's hit together at the Super Bowl (and I guess a SB with Tom Brady too although that's been 1/2 of the ones my daughter has been alive for.:D)

So we could all actually like each other here then?

There was once a list of "You Know You are a Peakbagger when..." and I believe the opening was the fact that we spend a lot of time out in the elements walking through all kind of conditions, sometimes alone for hours can make you a grumpy old man so instead of liking each other, we may have to settle for tolerating one another. ;)

I have found that near anonymous interaction rarely brings out mankind's kinder gentler side. (personkind although IMO, cybertrolling other than for fashion, looks actual social interaction, is a male thing, OTOH, I couldn't possibly bash anyone on a dress, shirt, hat, or a color choice for anything, or if your BFF or GFF is hot or not. There was more about differences on how each gender is better than the other in cyberbullying but it got too dark for a hiking board.)

Last edited:
How do you feel about postholers?
I'm quite opposed. Call it a contradiction if you like.

Post holing benefits no one, while butt sliding at least benefits the person sliding.

I haven't found Hitler ranting about butt sliders yet though! ;)

Last edited:
I'm quite opposed. Call it a contradiction if you like.

Post holing benefits no one, while butt sliding at least benefits the person sliding.

I haven't found Hitler ranting about butt sliders yet though! ;)
Good ‘ol Wool pants had there place. Then there was pile and fleece. No Gortex.

Even with snowshoes, walking a track that someone potholed sucks. My GF and I have been packing out a track in Evans Notch on Bickford Brook trail. A skier had barebooted up past where we had turned around the last time it snowed and after that, the trail and postholes had hardened up. We continued another half mile or so past that and finally gave up, too hard on my feet. The bottom two miles is a nice packed trail. The top? not so much. We saw another snowshoer headed up on our descent and passed along the information. When we said postholes, her smiling face instantly changed darker. I'm not the only one who hates postholes.

When did glissading turn into butt sledding?

It's a sitting glissade with protection for your high end pants and in most cases in NH, without an ice axe for a brake. The sled I had was a small formed piece of plastic with a harness you wear.

I will say the old Swiss Bobs that were quite popular 30 years ago at Tucks were a nice rig for sliding https://www.amazon.com/Eurosled-ESLD-05-Swiss-Bob-Sled/dp/B001AQYNEC They are long out of production. I was headed up to Tucks one afternoon a few winters after moving up,. I was in my late twenties and couple of old timers (probably a a few years older than I am now) and I got to talking and they told me they walks up to HoJos and slid down Sherburne trail ever afternoon the weather was good with their modified versions. They glued a cut up military surplus ensolite pad to the seat which gave them a a bit of insulation and better control. I picked up a couple of them on ebay and made the mod and they were great as there was air gap between the bottom and the seat. Running over a root or rock was a minor annoyance as the air gap absorbed the impact far better than nylon pants or the teardrop piece of plastic with the toggle handle that many hikers carry.

Last edited:
In the early 2000's there seemed to be an uptick at Monadnock on the White Dot Trail also along with skiers subsequent to a republish of Goodman's book. Due to the amount of hikers and the nature of many very inexperienced hikers there, I had to post the trail (as park manager) to discourage this type of use on this particular trail, cause it was just not a good mix on this hyper-used trail. I know, people still do/did, but at least if one of the patrollers or a volunteer saw the behavior causing problems on the trail, a conversation could be had on whether or not it's a good idea for everyone. I had a couple of administrative rules I was able to utilize. At the same time we were all more than happy to suggest better locations for the activities.

I'm sledding (not on hiking trails) a lot more these days as the main playmate for a 7 year old, and man it makes me nervous. Back in youth our gang were the kings of sleds, but now since I xc ski, sledding seems insanely out of control and dangerous. Amazing how I now feel more comfortable on a steep (wooded) slope wearing skis than I do in bare boots. It was the other way around when I put my first xc skis on.

The Swiss Bob (which I own) is TOO fast most of the time. The plastic 'spoon' is my favorite tool right now.

"When did glissading turn into butt sledding?" A long time ago (20 years?)

Interesting trip report on NETC for Liberty Spring Trail.

Got an early start to beat the crowds. Microspikes up to 0.25 miles from the tenstsite then snowshoes were the way to go as the trail was still soft. Excellent snowshoe track along Franconia Ridge between Liberty and Flume. Saw one person along the ridge also wearing snowshoes and enjoying the quiet trails. On the descent from Franconia Ridge I saw around thirty hikers coming up, only one in snowshoes, 2/3 didn't have snowshoes but they did have sleds, ignorance is bliss!

https://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=52397

Interesting trip report for Liberty Springs Trail on NETC

"Got an early start to beat the crowds. Microspikes up to 0.25 miles from the tentsite then snowshoes were the way to go as the trail was still soft. Excellent snowshoe track along Franconia Ridge between Liberty and Flume. Saw one person along the ridge also wearing snowshoes and enjoying the quiet trails. On the descent from Franconia Ridge I saw around thirty hikers coming up, only one in snowshoes, 2/3 didn't have snowshoes but they did have sleds, ignorance is bliss!"

Interesting trip report for Liberty Springs Trail on NETC

"Got an early start to beat the crowds. Microspikes up to 0.25 miles from the tentsite then snowshoes were the way to go as the trail was still soft. Excellent snowshoe track along Franconia Ridge between Liberty and Flume. Saw one person along the ridge also wearing snowshoes and enjoying the quiet trails. On the descent from Franconia Ridge I saw around thirty hikers coming up, only one in snowshoes, 2/3 didn't have snowshoes but they did have sleds, ignorance is bliss!"

That was my trail condition report! I couldn’t believe how many hikers would come up without snowshoes, made no sense to me as it would have made the burst up from the tentsite and across the ridge super annoying. What I did not know until after the hike was that it was the first day of vacation week, so in retrospect I shouldn’t have been surprised with the lack of hikers not well equipped.

As for sleds on trails, I don’t do it but I have no issues with them as 95% of the time people know what they are doing and are respectful. But just like everything else there is always one dumbass going too fast or out of control, so I keep a look out for them around corners. Mostly, I make sure to get early starts, and am heading down while everyone is heading up. Plus, the people who don’t think of others while on the sleds are usually the ones that start a hike at noon anyway.

As for social media and hiking, the day I care about what someone who I don’t know and doesn’t effect me posts on FB or IG is the day a quit hiking and become a grumpy old man. Hopefully I have a few more years before that happens!

As for sleds on trails, I don’t do it but I have no issues with them as 95% of the time people know what they are doing and are respectful. But just like everything else there is always one dumbass going too fast or out of control, so I keep a look out for them around corners. Mostly, I make sure to get early starts, and am heading down while everyone is heading up. Plus, the people who don’t think of others while on the sleds are usually the ones that start a hike at noon anyway.

As for social media and hiking, the day I care about what someone who I don’t know and doesn’t effect me posts on FB or IG is the day a quit hiking and become a grumpy old man. Hopefully I have a few more years before that happens!

I saw a noon start on NETC and thought that must just be a single silly post but I was wrong. I know the sun is up almost an hour longer than it was in mid-December, but I can't believe all the late starts haven't popped up more for rescues. NH F&G appears to be too busy with snowmobile rescues, at least last weekend.

Don't quit Chris, grumpy old men love hiking too! :D

The word is curmudgeonly. I would think it adds charm that grumpy doesn't connote.

attachment.php

I'll take my turn as old man shaking his fist at the cloud...

My primary concerns with sledding on hiking trails are:

1) Safety. There has been SAR activity over the years from folks getting severely injured while buttsledding.

2) Trail conditions. Buttsliding often pulls snow off the trail and creates an unnatural concave surface. East Osceola has become one of the most dangerous all of standard winter 4K routes now because of bullsledding activity.

My closest encounter was when someone lost control buttsledding down East Osceola and hit a tree so hard (in trying to avoid me) that they bent their snowshoe frame.

oldmancloud.jpg

You know, you can be a grumpy old man and still hike:)

attachment.php

I'll take my turn as old man shaking his fist at the cloud...

My primary concerns with sledding on hiking trails are:

1) Safety. There has been SAR activity over the years from folks getting severely injured while buttsledding.

2) Trail conditions. Buttsliding often pulls snow off the trail and creates an unnatural concave surface. East Osceola has become one of the most dangerous all of standard winter 4K routes now because of bullsledding activity.

My closest encounter was when someone lost control buttsledding down East Osceola and hit a tree so hard (in trying to avoid me) that they bent their snowshoe frame.

View attachment 6616

I generally try to live my life by creating if not an easier (at best) or equal (at worst) to those around me and next in line. I'll let someone pass me in the grocery store if they look like they are having a hard time. I hold the door to someone behind me. I clean the snow off my car. I return my cart. I don't box someone in at a parking lot. I don't snowblow into the street or so it could be plowed into my neighbor's yard. I won't leave a trail postholed up, nor will I sled down it and create an unsafe track. Of course, everyone can do as they wish, but I've taken the attitude my existence affects others, and I try to ensure the impact of that existence is a positive one.