Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Wow, this a trip report for the books!

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    There is no justifying anything here. It's complete rationalization. This is the kind of mindset that get's people killed. As I mentioned in another thread already. Knowing one's limitations of the terrain in direct correlation to one's gear is paramount for survival. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    That was what I was trying to say. I think it is pretty clear at this point that I am awful at trying to communicate my point of view in this medium with my word choices so I think I'll just give everyone a break and stop talking now. Probably for the best.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    That was what I was trying to say. I think it is pretty clear at this point that I am awful at trying to communicate my point of view in this medium with my word choices so I think I'll just give everyone a break and stop talking now. Probably for the best.
    LMAO. I enjoy your humbleness. Keep it up. This place could use a little more of it now and again.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

My favorite Trip Report is still the Pemi Loop where the person ended up walking 93S in the early morning hours and sleeping in the tall grass at the off-ramp for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    What would he consider fair criticism? (some, none, a little?) He survived and got quite a bit lower, he had an adventure and kept all digits, all good.

He owes us nothing, what did his wife have to say when he got home? I'm thinking he hopefully learned something but he doesn't owe any of us that. I read the report which seemed to cover what he did & it's a trail conditions site so he did that. How does he think he did? Would he change anything? If so, what and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    My favorite Trip Report is still the Pemi Loop where the person ended up walking 93S in the early morning hours and sleeping in the tall grass at the off-ramp for a few hours.
    Done that more than once. I think it was around the late 80’s when hitch hiking no one would pick me up anymore so I could get back to my ride. In the 60’s and 70’s it was all about the fun of a hike. Never know who you might meet.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Knowing one's limitations of the terrain in direct correlation to one's gear is paramount for survival. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    That's also how I feel about carrying the proper gear to stay safe and out of trouble, as well as knowing how to get to where I'm going and when to turn back. It becomes a bit more complicated when deciding what specific emergency gear to carry to be best prepared for unexpected conditions, especially when hiking solo.

“Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions.” -Rita Mae Brown

Experience is the most demanding instructor. She gives the test first and lesson after.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    “Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions.” -Rita Mae Brown
    For a while I kept a log of "failed" hikes, failure being not reaching the summits I had planned to get to. I learned much more on those trips than one's that went off without a hitch.

Some things were gear related, some planning (planning Vs. fitness level then) some were lack of sleep for a couple of days before a big trip, hiking with the flu (predating, Covid, MERs and I think SARS), buying too many energy bars at a good price and after a few months of nothing but bars preferring going hungry Vs. another bar, wearing some cotton
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

LMAO. I enjoy your humbleness. Keep it up. This place could use a little more of it now and again.
    A-f******-men.

I'm reminded of two experiences I've had fairly recently. A few years ago I arrived at Kinsman shelter with an AMC group I was leading. We took out our MSR Whisperlites to melt snow for water. A pair of guys (brothers) suddenly appeared and claimed we weren't allowed to use 'that kind of stove' near the shelters. They claimed only Jetboils were allowed. At first I thought they were kidding. I brushed them off, but they became quite agitated, bordering on physical, and berated me as the leader for being so dumb as to allow Whisperlites to be used near a shelter. 'Wow, an AMC leader is using a Whisperlite? I can't believe the AMC lets people like this lead trips!' I was so shocked I actually was at a loss for words. They kept at it - someone they knew had 'burned down a shelter with that stove,' and 'what was I going to do if one of them flared up?!!!!!!11!!1' I think they also threw in the possibility that I might get someone killed with my ignorance.

Around that same time, I was leading a trip to Isolation. A pair of participants, a reasonably fit couple in their late 20's, showed up in Norwegian Welt-style boots, no insulation. It was about zero degrees and was only supposed to get colder. I told them with some urgency that I really didn't think those boots were going to work out for the conditions. We went back and forth for some time, but they were adamant that they'd been out in similar conditions in the boots and were confident they'd be fine. They had 'good socks and vapor barrier liners.' We came to an agreement that we'd check in repeatedly, and when we got to our planned camping spot in the birch glades near Engine Hill we'd decide if they were to turn around and go home (if their feet were cold); I would accompany them back to their car if that were the case. Well, it was a fairly epic trip. Cold. The Engine Hill Bushwhack was fine, but we opted to do the second bushwhack too, straight up the ridge to Davis Path. That was BRUTAL. And yet there they were, the two of them, cruising along just fine. In fact, when we finally broke out onto Davis Path, the guy pulled out his phone, which had Gaia and he was somehow able to keep warm, and directed us to go north rather than south to hit the summit of isolation. We took the trail back to our tentsite, the evening was uneventful, and the two of them were cheery as ever the next morning when we packed up to head out, it being about 10 below at that point.

What I concluded from those and other incidents is there is more than one way to do The Thing, and anyone who is convinced that their way is The One True Way and All Other Ways will Get Someone Killed is almost certainly full of crap. Having been on both sides of it, I'll offer my advice when asked, but that's about it. Leading trips is tricky though. Those boots on Isolation really were not a good choice, even though they worked out. That is a difficult situation to predict and deal with. Still. Humility. It's a thing we could use more of, IMO.
    Sure. Why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    That was me. https://www.summitpost.org/extending...mi-loop/311203

Sorry for the self-promotion and thread diversion, but I figure it's de minimis after page 4 of a thread...

Quote Originally Posted by nartreb View Post
    Hah, I was considering posting but figured you'd self-identify if you wanted to be connected to it. Second favorite trip report (behind the late lamented "complete punter's guide to succeeding or not on the West Buttress")

That was me.
    3 AM: I've taken the North Lincoln exit onto route 3...

Still so, so, good. Hahahaha, I'm literally crying.

I've bookmarked the page for when I need cheering up.

Sorry for the self-promotion and thread diversion, but I figure it's de minimis after page 4 of a thread...
    Wow, that's magnificent. I'm sad that I missed it all those years ago.

Not a thread diversion at all. Just a good example of the type of unexpected event we should all be prepared for. No serious injuries, just got back later than planned.

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    Hah, I was considering posting but figured you'd self-identify if you wanted to be connected to it. Second favorite trip report (behind the late lamented "complete punter's guide to succeeding or not on the West Buttress")
    Great story! Thanks for posting. Outdoor Life magazine has a regular column called "This Happened to Me". Usually hunting/fishing/boating related, but I think sometimes there have been hiking stories, or maybe hunters getting into trouble and then getting themselves out of it.

I think that your story would have qualified.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OUTDOOR LIFE.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	6619