Early May climbs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbi99

Reaction score
I am hoping to come up to the Whites the first week of May. Are there areas there where some mountains are usually climbable only using micro spikes at that time? I totally understand that conditions change from season-to-season and week-to-week. While I had planned on backpacking, I think I will instead stay in a cabin and do daily hikes. A tremendous bonus would be a relatively snow free climb (I will be hiking with my experienced dog) that results in decent or better views - weather permitting.

I have some April and May goals, also with my experienced dog. April and May, if cold enough, might be doable in spikes, or it might be soft or rotting snow. Too early to tell, unfortunately. Early May might appear to be snow free for the first third of the hike but almost certainly there will be snow. Trips to places with south facing exposure will dry out fastest. It is unlike that you will find anything snow-free and on the 4000-footer list in early May. Best bet is to watch the trail conditions leading up to your trip.

Tim

South facing slopes are the ones to shoot for. Kearsage North, South Moat, Flume via Osseo. Pierce via Crawford Path. Moosilaukee from the Ravine Lodge. Tecumseh. Liberty, via Liberty Springs.

They may be snow on the ground but the trail bed is packed snow. Of course there is the problem of the monorail which can be a real PITA but the long range forecast is warmer and wetter for this spring which implies more mud than ice.

NewEnglandTrailConditions.com has a dozen years of conditions reports that can be searched by peak, by trail, by month. Conditions vary significantly by year. Last year was a last spring with some late storms; I was still using snowshoes in a few places in late May.

Morgan Percival, the smaller peaks around the lakes although anything on a ridge may be open or rotten, Welsh Dickey. If coming from OH, I'd look at backpacking in MA on the AT Personally I'd opt for a snow free Race Everett and the South Taconic's over a trip of 40% rotten snow.

Moosilauke by the Carriage Road although it likely would be a muddy mess & I agree South Moat may be the first bare peaks near 3,000 free of most of it's snow.

Last edited:
Consider that water crossings can be pretty tough in the spring, too. 12 hours is a long way to drive for the worst conditions of the year. I hear Dolly Sods is nice.

In light of some of the suggestions, I have to reiterate searching the conditions reports. The Mt. Morgan and Mt. Percival trailheads/parking lots are closed for mud season each spring, sometimes through early May.

Consider that water crossings can be pretty tough in the spring, too. 12 hours is a long way to drive for the worst conditions of the year. I hear Dolly Sods is nice.

I have hiked the majority of Dolly Sods and Roaring Plains and it is absolutely fantastic.

Early May is likely to be a sticky, gooey mess everywhere, with rotten monorail, deep snow in the woods, and so much mud on the lower trails you'll think you're in Vermont!

"Mud" is an official season here, and in Vermud tehy actually close all the trails on state land and in GMNF!

Early May hiking at Mount Greylock is usually very nice. The trails are pretty dry, views are good because the leaves are not out yet and there are no black flies.

I have a vivid memory of a May Isolation hike where, on a hot afternoon, we alternated between post holing and monorail while swatting black flies continually. Your mileage might vary!