Nomadland Movie

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Just watched this movie about contemporary "houseless" nomads traveling our country in vans and RVs.

Some are motivated by economic necessity, but many are looking for a freer lifestyle. And most qualify as senior citizens!

Gig work for Amazon and national parks, combined with free camping on BLM lands are keys to survival.

Those of you on this board of a certain age, who've lived for extended periods on the road hiking and climbing, will find this movie hits the mark.

We traveled in an RV for almost two weeks in Alaska. Two weeks was about my limit for that kind of living. Of course, that was nowhere near what is depicted in Nomadland...a thoroughly depressing movie.

We traveled in an RV for almost two weeks in Alaska. Two weeks was about my limit for that kind of living. Of course, that was nowhere near what is depicted in Nomadland...a thoroughly depressing movie.

Interesting, I did not experience the movie as depressing.

Certainly The main character Fern is struggling with loss and grief. But many of the others depicted are literally happy campers living their dream in fulfilling retirements.

I think what’s unsettling about the film is that these nomads have looked at conventional retirement scenarios and rejected them as too limiting and unrewarding. So they choose the road less traveled.