Redlining racist?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Embarrassingly childish. These people need to hike more, and open their yaps less. If they want to do something for people who have been disadvantaged, they should do something, instead of nonsensically virtue signaling. As one of my old climbing mentors said, "Do it, don't talk about it."

Wasn’t there some talk about renaming some of the Presidential peaks?

It is what it is. It certainly wouldn't change your accomplishment or how you were perceived in the hiking community if you said you were Spaghetti-"O"ing the WMNF or the ADK. 95% of the people think you're crazy for all that time in the woods anyway.

I was using different color highlighters when I was marking up one of my maps, (the old blue $4.95 one that covered almost all the whites.). In this day and age when only the over 50 crowd hug their maps and much of the research is done using online pdf maps, can't you color the line almost any color you want? (my initials are MAP so, yes I prefer a tangible map)

I agree, it's silly...

OTOH, most of us are old white guys, we've never been told we wouldn't want to live in that nice neighborhood, we would be happier with our own kind and had difficulty getting a mortgage based on our looks or name. Had I been born 100 years earlier, I might have been told a certain end in Boston had food I would have preferred.

If you are that upset about it, you can say you are canceling the trails on your map. Considering that VFTT'ers used "Alligator Eggs" as a greeting when you think you were meeting other VFTT'ers are we really that hung up on redlining? Pick blue or green and you should be fine until ET visits a state other than a state well known for backyard stills and not scholars.

(What was the old joke, they flew light years to get here and can't find a city with a well respected leader to talk to)

Last edited:
https://www.findingphilip.com/blog/renametheredline/

Apparently, a bunch of woke white folks have chosen this hill to die on. Due to them all finding out this summer that "redlining" has more than one meaning, they want to remove the word from hiking culture.

After all they have been through in this country, if Black folks find the term “redlining” objectionable, then it’s easy enough to use another word.

What’s the big deal?

"Speech is violence"; "Violence is speech."

"War is peace." "Freedom is slavery." "Ignorance is strength."

"Every cop is a criminal, and all the killers saints."

The "big deal" is marching blindly into this territory, blissfully unaware of where it leads.

After all they have been through in this country, if Black folks find the term “redlining” objectionable, then it’s easy enough to use another word.

What’s the big deal?

As far as I can tell, it seems more like white people being offended on behalf of black people than black people being offended. Maybe that has to do with hiking demographics but the few black people I know who are actually familiar with NH hiking culture aren't offended and have been called brainwashed for disagreeing with Carcia's assertion.

This is the first time I've ever seen a racial connotation associated with trail redlining. Trails on the AMC hiking maps are red. It is a common practice to draw on maps with red Sharpie as one completes a trail.

I do not know of any racist redliners.

I do not think Redline Guiding is racist.

I do not think this patch is racist.

attachment.php

white-mountains-red-lining-patch.gif

"Speech is violence"; "Violence is speech."

"War is peace." "Freedom is slavery." "Ignorance is strength."

"Every cop is a criminal, and all the killers saints."

The "big deal" is marching blindly into this territory, blissfully unaware of where it leads.

No. Silence is violence.

So keep your eyes wide open.

Except no one is talking about these examples Tim. My comments were limited to the hiking scenario.

But... As we are seeing in the food industry decades of investment in branding does not give a company a pass to use racially insensitive images or marketing.

Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima are proof of that.

Sooner or later the white majority must wake up and realize it’s not about what “we” think.

And I don’t think we should be surprised that even our hiking community is not immune from this type of discussion. I actually think it’s a hopeful sign!

"There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure 'cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings, sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven"

LedZep

As the admin of the White Mountains Red-lining Facebook group, I had a discussion thread up about this very topic for a few days, before shutting it down.

Here is a link to the thread, publicly viewable. It will become private the afternoon of March 5, so peruse while you can. I've decided to take the group private, to prevent any material posted from being used as a weapon against members, or the Grid Trust (the maintainers/benefactors of the list).

For a bit of backstory, I was contacted about 2 weeks ago by a member, asking if the question could be posed to the group, about changing the name of this racist term. I explained what we as a group were about, hiking all the trails, and saw no need to change the name of the game, as there was no connotation linking it with the other meaning. I also demurred to the Grid Trust, as when it really comes down to it, I'm just the guy who created the group, one who has no control over the name of the game. Long story short, I was accused of "passing the buck" to the Grid Trust, abusing my role as group admin, and "actively perpetuating racism in the hiking community". Instead of arguing with this individual, I agreed to allow a thread on the topic, which they said they'd post in a couple of days. 10 days passed, and I honestly felt a bit held hostage, like the hammer was going to drop at any time, on my group. An email forwarded to me from another individual, detailed that the writer of the link in the OP, was going to release the linked article, and "didn't want anyone to be blindsided". It read like a thinly veiled threat, at best. You can muddle through the thread to see how the discussion unfolded.

The whole thread is moot at this point. This morning, the Grid Trust informed me that White Mountains Red-lining, will now be called "Hiking/Tracing the White Mountain Trails", and will be updating their website accordingly. I have since updated everything related to the group, with this nomenclature. I'd like to point out, that nowhere on the page, was anything that would have been remotely construed as racist. Our purpose was clearly described, naming was hyphenated "Red-lining" not "redlining", and the 48x12.com page for the activity was likewise linked. Not sure there's much else I personally could have done. Now that the name is no longer the issue, we can get back to the task at hand, being out in the woods, hiking the trails, and not worrying about things like this.

Hey, you asked ;)

One of those two examples is directly tied to the White Mountain redlining community.

Tim

The bike company is owned by a Private Equity firm in Beverly Hills so look at them changing that before they spin it off as the name has the potential to come up during any IPO or SPAC. Where the term will likely remain is in street racing as the delineation between good RPMs on your tachometer and too many RPM's is the red line and the Tach is colored in that manner.

The offensive practice is over 100 years old. As mentioned elsewhere, calling a busy trail walking schedule something else will not diminish the accomplishment

Now that the Grid Trust has changed the name... will they be replacing all the patches?

Tim

I don't know. I'd think that any new finishers, would get the new version of the patch and certificate, whenever those will be forthcoming. As far as replacing patches/certificates of past finishers, hard to say. I know I personally have two certificates, and am proud of what I accomplished, no matter what it's called now.

I don't know. I'd think that any new finishers, would get the new version of the patch and certificate, whenever those will be forthcoming. As far as replacing patches/certificates of past finishers, hard to say. I know I personally have two certificates, and am proud of what I accomplished, no matter what it's called now.

If the bumper sticker was offensive to some people, wouldn't the patch be then as well? I'm not pursuing the hiking of all the trails in the WMG so the name change doesn't impact me in any way. Nor do I own a business where I might be impacted, in order to catch up with the times. To me, (to quote ChrisB) "It's no big deal". If "vftt.org" became offensive to some, then it would impact me in much the same way it impacted you. Unlikely, as there is no other known usage, unlike redlining, which in my dictionary, still lists the tach version as the 1st definition and the offensive practice as the 2nd. (and never mentions the hiking variant.)

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.