Surprisingly Quiet Rescue Season?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
I think many of us anticipated a busy winter rescue season due to Covid tenderfoots, daring BC skiers and clueless peak baggers.

Other than a few very sad, high-profile incidents I'm not aware of a large increase in folks calling for / needing help.

(Snowmobile injuries and deaths have been frequent unfortunately.)

Am I missing something or are hiking-climbing-skiing related rescues statistically down so far for the winter of 20/21?

Last edited:
I used to keep track of hiker. sled and ski incidents and they used to take turns leading from one year to next. Regular lift assisted skiing is down as they have covid-19 restrictions on lifts and capacity, I expect we'll see an uptick there next season as people have not been or have to get used to crowded slopes & the ability to have a beer of five in the lodge next year. I haven't seen much ice climber incidents either. If PNVC and Harvard Cabin is closed, that is keeping numbers down in Huntington.

If the FB groups are showing up groups, someone may be recognizing issues earlier.

Not sure how many Covid-19 Newbie Soloist we have yet. There does seem to be an increase in the amount of winter postholing. You used to see them early and late when you had people thinking winter wasn't here or gone with bare trailheads and warm weather at home. Postholing is hard work, they may be getting tired before they get too far up.

I would expect an increase in late March and April unless they head to CT and places where Spring happens sooner. If they think it's Spring in the mountains because it's Spring at home, we'll see an uptick.

The NYSDEC has reported very few SAR incidents since cold weather came upon us. Just today there is a report of a snowmobile fatality from falling through the ice on a lake. It happens every year. Even though no official snowmobile trails go over any waterways whatsoever, they never seem to learn.