Big temperature swings in second week of March

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
There are going to be some pretty dramatic temperature swings this week.

Weather.com for North Conway says:
Saturday, March 6: High of 27, low of 7
Thursday, March 11: High of 57(!), low of 41

Brian

It's interesting that we seem to be in the most stable stretch of cold this winter over the past few days and nights, even though the spring equinox is a mere 2 weeks ahead and the sun is again a worthy contender. We tapped 2 maples on 2/26 and even got a spit of sap on 2/27. My wife said "I don't think you boys will be boiling for a couple of weeks", but I didn't believe her.

As we enter the final full weekend of winter, and everyone and their brother will be up trying to grab their last winter peaks of the season, it will be interesting to see what they encounter for trail conditions, and what shape they leave them in.

# # #
https://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=53150
To anyone heading up to Galehead/South Twin...our most sincere apologies for the trail you’ll encounter tomorrow.

Seven of us in snowshoes managed to absolutely obliterate the trail today. Snow was soft to start, even softer upon return. Monorail was disintegrating under our feet the entire time. Ever see a man posthole while wearing 30” snowshoes? Because that happened. Multiple times. No form of traction was going to save you from the crumbling snow today.

As such, after the freeze tonight, I’m sure the trail will be in rough shape tomorrow. Best of luck navigating the frozen posthole wasteland that is Gale River Trail.
# # #

Don't know who "Chef" is, but I do admire his honesty!

Brian

As we enter the final full weekend of winter, and everyone and their brother will be up trying to grab their last winter peaks of the season, it will be interesting to see what they encounter for trail conditions, and what shape they leave them in.

# # #
https://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=53150
To anyone heading up to Galehead/South Twin...our most sincere apologies for the trail you’ll encounter tomorrow.

Seven of us in snowshoes managed to absolutely obliterate the trail today. Snow was soft to start, even softer upon return. Monorail was disintegrating under our feet the entire time. Ever see a man posthole while wearing 30” snowshoes? Because that happened. Multiple times. No form of traction was going to save you from the crumbling snow today.

As such, after the freeze tonight, I’m sure the trail will be in rough shape tomorrow. Best of luck navigating the frozen posthole wasteland that is Gale River Trail.
# # #

Don't know who "Chef" is, but I do admire his honesty!

Brian

His real name is Scott Morra. He posted his mea culpa's on Facebook, too. He's a pretty passionate hiker. He probably died a bit inside after "post-holing" the trail.

Sunday night's higher summits forecast with the wind gusts and lows around -20 has me changing my Monday hike up Carter Dome on Monday. I'll find another destination.

10 F for a high yesterday, 1 F this morning. There were some serious whiteouts on Sunday with fierce wind. I was concerned during a few of them that one might catch some hikers and that may be the case.

While the seasons are always changing, there is a difference between them. I feel like we are at a turning point right now. Looking at weather.com for North Conway (ground level), starting on Sunday, March 21, there is a shift in the highs, 56, 62, 63, 61, 54 and in the lows: 31, 34, 37, 39, 35. There will still be days below freezing, but the crazy cold nights will be behind us, it seems.

My friend up north already is reporting that certain ice climbing areas are getting baked out (although admittedly that could also be in part due to the sun shifting).

I'm not saying wintry conditions are going to disappear overnight, but there is a shift comiong!

Brian

It is the most fascinating thing to observe the battle between the seasons; dominant air masses, jet stream, affects of increased sun. I thought for sure the serious cold was behind us, but should know better by now. Heck the epitome of ideal winter conditions was only a month or so ago. I seem to remember the coldest night I ever experienced in central VT in the 90's was -32, and believe that was early March (my memory may be wrong). No sap still but a crocus popped up last Thursday on the south side of house foundation only to be frozen in time.