No More Parking at Lowes Store

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am assuming that with this new restriction taking Air Line > Randolph Path > Spur Trail would now be the "default" route to the camps and the most likely trails to be broken out? It would be curious to see if they were to develop the Bowman lot into smaller version of Appalachia if it would help spread out the volume of hikers and add a little balance to the area.

I have previously commented that the lower section of Lowes could be routed through the recent Randolph Town Forest land acquisition and connect up with the Rollo Falls trail that shares a trail head with Castle trail at Bowman. Note there is private home way in the back of the field that is pretty well out of sight that used to plow this area but it had not been year-round for a while. When it was year round, hiker parking was point of contention as hikers prevented the driveway from being plowed properly. Lowes is a historical trail and my guess is this would not be acceptable. I do not see the state voluntarily maintaining another hiker lot. I also so not think the RMC would be interested in taking plowing and parking into their control. Appalachia long ago was designed to combine multiple trailheads along the relocated RT2 into one location. The trails used to follow the watersheds off the ravines and that naturally brought them to Ravien lodge, when RT 2 got relocated the club had to cut the trails and run them to Appalachia. The odld routes are still there that go to route 2 and are still used for rescue access.

I have previously commented that the lower section of Lowes could be routed through the recent Randolph Town Forest land acquisition and connect up with the Rollo Falls trail that shares a trail head with Castle trail at Bowman. Note there is private home way in the back of the field that is pretty well out of sight that used to plow this area but it had not been year-round for a while. When it was year round, hiker parking was point of contention as hikers prevented the driveway from being plowed properly. Lowes is a historical trail and my guess is this would not be acceptable. I do not see the state voluntarily maintaining another hiker lot. I also so not think the RMC would be interested in taking plowing and parking into their control. Appalachia long ago was designed to combine multiple trailheads along the relocated RT2 into one location. The trails used to follow the watersheds off the ravines and that naturally brought them to Ravien lodge, when RT 2 got relocated the club had to cut the trails and run them to Appalachia. The odld routes are still there that go to route 2 and are still used for rescue access.

I do recall that. I was just thinking out loud. Wasn't really addressing the feasability of it.

FYI - Gordan (Alan) Lowe passed away December 24th 2021 RIP.

The obituary is in the Berlin Daily Sun today (12/30/21)

(note: I, bikehikeskifish/Tim, edited the year to be 2021)

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - Gordan (Alan) Lowe passed away December 24th 2021 RIP.

The obituary is in the Berlin Daily Sun today (12/30/21)

(note: I, bikehikeskifish/Tim, edited the year to be 2021)

That's too bad. I remember going in there and they had the glass case in the back with the Randolph Mt club stuff in it. I still have my "Randolph Paths" circa 1980, the little green book, that I bought at Lowes. Used to hit the ice cream cooler after hikes.

Other communities in NH have banded together to buy long term community stores to keep them open. They do needed upgrades and hire resident managers (usually younger couples) to run the stores while retaining ownership. It would be nice to see something like that happen at Lowe's but sadly if you look at where the year round and season population base is located, Lowe's is a few miles west of the where the limited population is located. The logical place is east on RT 2 either at the base of Randolph Hill or on top of the hill where the Grand View lodge is located.

Most locals who want to support a local business head down to the White Mountain Cafe in Gorham for Coffee and Liz's Bistro or Salt in the evening and grudgingly fill their cars with fuel from the Irving station.

That's too bad. I remember going in there and they had the glass case in the back with the Randolph Mt club stuff in it. I still have my "Randolph Paths" circa 1980, the little green book, that I bought at Lowes. Used to hit the ice cream cooler after hikes.

I have the 1985 version of that Randolph Paths book. Still have the map that came with it as well. I think I sent away for it. It was not purchased at Lowes although I did park there a couple of times. That place was classic "Old NH."

Actually, the little book is dated 1977. The map is dated 1985. Not sure if I got them separately or together. I guess they are now artifacts.
Randolph Paths Book.jpgRandolph Paths Map.jpg

Actually, the little book is dated 1977. The map is dated 1985. Not sure if I got them separately or together. I guess they are now artifacts.
View attachment 6755View attachment 6756

That's the edition I have as well, maybe I got 1985 from the map.. Not sure where my map is, it saw quite a bit of use back then. Pretty cool we both still have them.:D

Always enjoyed the RMC publications. Santa dropped off the 9th Edition here last week which is Copyrighted 2016. The Map is really well done!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it REALLY closed? I thought previous posters said it was open, (albeit under certain conditions)?
Things change. Not every Title to all threads here are in real time. That’s why they are called threads. You have to read the whole thread to get the latest posted info. Also the Title of this thread does not say Closed. All really just semantics and I’m just playing devil’s advocate. The OP was last March when a snowpack was apparent and there was no plowing. Then in May when the snow was gone it was announced on The RMC FB Page that The Lowe Family was allowing parking with no fees and the store was closed. I can only assume it will probably be closed if it is not already for the Winter again. Administrators have a lot to do here and they I’m sure can’t tweak every Title every day to adjust for the Earth having made another lap around the Sun. But if they want to change the title to reflect any misinformation that members might think is going on here. Feel free to do so. They don’t need my permission anyhow.