Rescue on Wildcat Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Here is the story: https://nhfishgame.com/2021/03/22/injured-hiker-rescued-from-wildcat-ridge-trail/

We know that the call came in mid-late afternoon but not much else. Temps were warm and the terrain is steep. Any other assumptions are just that. Did warm snow ball up on the micro's? For that section of trail would crampons had been better? If snow balling up, that happens with crampons just like spikes, the one difference may be that you need more snow to cover the longer spike. I know when I have crampons on, It begins to feel like I'm wearing a platform shoe, so I feel it before it gets to a critical fail point.

My guess is that unless you are on a headwall, or slide known to be icy, it's likely having Micro's will be considered being prepared. (as far as traction goes)

It sounds like the injury was not life threatening, so that's a plus.

I was on Moosilaukee yesterday and snowballs on my microspikes were a borderline issue for much of the hike. My guess is it would have been and issue with snowshoes.

I was on Moosilaukee yesterday and snowballs on my microspikes were a borderline issue for much of the hike. My guess is it would have been and issue with snowshoes.

I wore snowshoes all weekend in the Sandwich Range with no snowballing.

I hiked the Pierce/Eisenhower loop on Saturday and wore microspikes the whole day except for snowshoes coming down Edmands Path. I had no problem with either of them balling up. There were some icy sections of the Crawford Path down low, so maybe she encountered ice...

When in challenging mountain terrain, Microspikes are toys. Unfortunately it sometimes take a failure of Micropsikes to learn this (and there have been some serious injuries over the years). My wake up call was on East Osceola years ago.

It would be interesting to know if the injury was from the Microspikes losing purchase and the victim sliding into a tree, or if it was from them postholing. Postholing injuries do happen and can be serious. Witnessed one first hand a week and a half ago.

Even in warm temperatures, with current snowpack, mountain snowshoes are a must for safety in the mountains.

I keep a can of PAM in the trunk of my car and give my snowshoes or crampons a shot of lube before I hit the trail.

It may not be good for the metal, but it always seems to prevent the balling that others may experience.

I keep a can of PAM in the trunk of my car and give my snowshoes or crampons a shot of lube before I hit the trail.

It may not be good for the metal, but it always seems to prevent the balling that others may experience.
. I do the same. Not only my shoes but my whole rig. Always good to have a lubed under carriage.My friends say I smell like well cooked fried foods and always know where to find me.