South Baldface rescue - 3/23/2021

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This should be a cautionary tale to anyone who goes into the higher peaks in early to mid spring without snowshoes. It may seem firm enough to get up, but things can change, and change quickly. Even carrying a pair of light snowshoes is a great way to reduce risk.

Another steep as hell section of the trail that probably shouldn't be attempted in the Winter. Most of Baldface circle trail is moderate. The section above the shelter is not. I can see someone falling easily there.

That is indeed a steep and dangerous section in wet/icy conditions. In 1968 one of the hikers in our group of teens injured his ankle while we were descending in the rain (full packs) headed for the shelter. We wound up carrying him down the trail in a stokes litter (in the dark) thanks to the assistance of folks at the AMC Cold River Camp. I will never forget that.

Last edited:
I’ve been there in April when poor conditions have persisted. It’s not to be taken lightly.

Another steep as hell section of the trail that probably shouldn't be attempted in the Winter. Most of Baldface circle trail is moderate. The section above the shelter is not. I can see someone falling easily there.

Amen to that. Would have been better to do the loop clockwise and ascend that bit.

This seems like the winter of "lost shoes." What kind of footwear succumbs to post holing so easily?

Slippery Brook seems like a much more logical route choice in winter plus gains you Baldface Knob with option to bang over to Eastman.

Last edited:
Was there additional info on the location of the accidents other than South Baldface?. In addition to the obvious steep ascent up the east face above the cabin, there area couple of steep ledges in between the South and North Peaks that have had accidents in the past. The north end of Slippery Brook trail is an old logging grade all the way to to the ridge crest between Eastman and South Baldface, that skips the ledges above the cabin. it also has a bonus Knob with some interesting views and blueberries in season. I use this approach on occasion when folks want to do the loop but I am suspicious that the ledges may be a bit too much for them or when the ledges are wet. I try tio avoid this loop on busy weekends but another reason for Slippery Brook is that is avoids the inevitable back up that occurs on the ledges when folks are above their level of competence. The lesser used south end of the trail from Town Hall road in Bartlett is bit hard to follow but a very nice walk in the woods that rarely gets any use.

IMHO The Baldface Circle route tends to be a "honeypot" for less experienced folks that are drawn by its reputation and quite frequently some amount of them overestimate their hiking ability, interest or stamina. On most weekends I could probably make a killing selling bottled water on North Baldface to all the folks out of water and wishing there was a shortcut down;)

Was there additional info on the location of the accidents other than South Baldface?

"He was off the Baldface Circle trail between the summit of South Baldface and the shelter... They hiked 2.8 miles, arriving at Conrad’s location at 1:33 a.m."

Amen to that. Would have been better to do the loop clockwise and ascend that bit.

This seems like the winter of "lost shoes." What kind of footwear succumbs to post holing so easily?

I have been wondering the same thing. Maybe something like a Sorel?

Same here, why are so many losing their footwear? I'm a Sorel type hiker and the more modern lace-up styles are snug and I never feel I'm going to lose them. I actually find myself hiking in mud boots often as well as my son (sometimes accidentally up a mountain), and I often have to hold him out of the snow while retrieving his boots or myself.

I think more people are losing their footwear in postholes because more people are not wearing snowshoes.

If you posthole deeply while barebooting/Microspiking, you may well go up to your hip in snow and perhaps have an obstruction (branch, stump, rock, etc.), holding you in place. If you're really wedged and pull up, you may lose your shoe/boot. Since your leg is longer than your arm, good luck fishing out your boot.

If you wear snowshoes and manage to posthole, the hole generally won't be as deep, and will also be longer/wider, providing better access to fish something out.

Anyone going into the high mountains with current snowpack and no form of flotation should be liable for any search and rescue costs.

Also, I think a lot more people are wearing trail runners in winter, and certainly in "shoulder seasons. Easy to get those pulled off. I have seen trail runners pulled off in snow and in mud several times.

Of note, wearing scree gaiters helps keep trail runners from getting pulled off.

Also, I think a lot more people are wearing trail runners in winter, and certainly in "shoulder seasons. Easy to get those pulled off. I have seen trail runners pulled off in snow and in mud several times.

Of note, wearing scree gaiters helps keep trail runners from getting pulled off.

Too bad we'll never get the real truth. We all have to speculate on these rescues.

Being he's a avid runner. I too think he wanted to travel light. No snow shoes on this hike? he should be ashamed.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 109
Too bad we'll never get the real truth. We all have to speculate on these rescues.

Being he's a avid runner. I too think he wanted to travel light. No snow shoes on this hike? he should be ashamed.

At age 68 you should know better!

I won't copy/paste, but he posted a first-hand account publicly on his Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Traildad1

Summary:
- No snowshoes.
- No headlamp.
- Clockwise.
- Had to backtrack from past North Baldface due to deep snow and uncertain dropoffs.
- It was getting dark, so he had a hard time following his footsteps down from South.
- Lost footwear in post-hole while descending.
- Didn't feel safe continuing without shoe, so sheltered and called someone he knew nearby to ask if they could assist.
- Eventually called 911, hoping someone could bring replacement footwear so that he could walk out (which is what happened).

For some reason, I think he's not that experienced with Winter hiking, certainly not with the changing conditions Spring brings. He reminds me of the two runners that were rescued off Lafayette earlier in the season. Eventually, one of these trail runners are going to die up there.

As I am not on FB, I still could see he has a ton of pictures available. He's been many places mostly hiking, running, mostly in warmer weather, some pictures with snow but they could be more on the shoulder than a few days post Spring Equinox. (You can get snowy Washington pics in before Columbus Day and in early May.) I'm guessing this may have been his first time on The Baldfaces and IDK what he did for researching before the trip. He loves being out, he appears to be acquiring experience quickly if he didn't have much earlier in life.

We'll see what the next few weeks bring out as it is Spring in Southern New England, it feels like May in CT the last couple of days, meanwhile, rotten snow and fragile snowbridges over brooks and streams are in the near future. I was out on Wednesday prepping for a Scout like by pre-hiking a section of a 15 hike in SE CT we are doing next weekend. Shorts, a fanny pack and summer boots was pretty nice. As daffodils bloom and the grass greens, I'm sure we'll see some head north expecting the same conditions.

Most VFTT'ers know that there is no off-season, however, I've learned over time that my car is able to drive (in a few hours) in a northerly direction (NH, VT, ADK,) or a westerly, (Catskills, CT, MA) and it looking to see LIS which is nice from a ledge when it's too cold to go in, I can drive south too. Not that it's a long hike, (hike, it's a short walk from the road) but even exploring the highpoint of the State east of me is fun too.

I think more people are losing their footwear in postholes because more people are not wearing snowshoes.

If you posthole deeply while barebooting/Microspiking, you may well go up to your hip in snow and perhaps have an obstruction (branch, stump, rock, etc.), holding you in place. If you're really wedged and pull up, you may lose your shoe/boot. Since your leg is longer than your arm, good luck fishing out your boot.

If you wear snowshoes and manage to posthole, the hole generally won't be as deep, and will also be longer/wider, providing better access to fish something out.

Anyone going into the high mountains with current snowpack and no form of flotation should be liable for any search and rescue costs.

As a counterpoint to your constant repetitive message let me tell you of an actual (not speculative) experience I had. Probably before you were born (late 1960's). Winter hike up Cannon - lots of snow and unbroken trail (typical in those days). Was wearing snowshoes - wooden bearpaws (state of the art in those days) Trail finding was challenging but we were doing ok until... I fell into a spruce trap - over my head. From the waist down I was packed in pretty tightly but I started to claw my way out when suddenly one of the snowshoes that had been trapping me came off. Got out easily after that but then we had to perform a major excavation project - coming in from the side - to retrieve the snowshoe.

I'll admit that we couldn't have done the hike at all without them but they aren't the end all and be all all the time. My backcountry skiing friends - who probably have accomplished far more extreme adventures then anyone on this board - would never ever use snowshoes.

As a counterpoint to your constant repetitive message let me tell you of an actual (not speculative) experience I had. Probably before you were born (late 1960's). Winter hike up Cannon - lots of snow and unbroken trail (typical in those days). Was wearing snowshoes - wooden bearpaws (state of the art in those days) Trail finding was challenging but we were doing ok until... I fell into a spruce trap - over my head. From the waist down I was packed in pretty tightly but I started to claw my way out when suddenly one of the snowshoes that had been trapping me came off. Got out easily after that but then we had to perform a major excavation project - coming in from the side - to retrieve the snowshoe.

I'll admit that we couldn't have done the hike at all without them but they aren't the end all and be all all the time. My backcountry skiing friends - who probably have accomplished far more extreme adventures then anyone on this board - would never ever use snowshoes.
I am a major proponent of Snowshoes and never hesitate to carry them. Although I have had to remove them to self extricate from a major post holing or spruce trap event multiple times. This usually occurs when I have punched through a hidden crust layer and the tips and tails have submerged below that layer and then will catch on the bottom of that layer when trying to pull it back to the surface. As far as the original thread I think the hyenas have circled in. Not that this guy did everything right but he sure is far from some of the more blatant events that occur. Believe me I'm good here like many at pointing out the things that should have been done but this guy at least was able to hunker down with some degree of comfort by having things like a sleeping bag and a pad. I also give him credit for his humility and what seems like a learning experience posted on FB. Which IMO seems to be out of the norm these days. I'm certainly guilty myself of not doing so but maybe we as a group should embrace some of that humility and not be so quick to pull the trigger on critiquing these events until more of the facts are in.