Thread: Rescue on Wildcat Ridge Trail

Rescue on Wildcat Ridge Trail

Here is the story: https://nhfishgame.com/2021/03/22/in...t-ridge-trail/

We know that the call came in mid-late afternoon but not much else. Temps were warm and the terrain is steep. Any other assumptions are just that. Did warm snow ball up on the micro's? For that section of trail would crampons had been better? If snow balling up, that happens with crampons just like spikes, the one difference may be that you need more snow to cover the longer spike. I know when I have crampons on, It begins to feel like I'm wearing a platform shoe, so I feel it before it gets to a critical fail point.

My guess is that unless you are on a headwall, or slide known to be icy, it's likely having Micro's will be considered being prepared. (as far as traction goes)

It sounds like the injury was not life threatening, so that's a plus.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

I was on Moosilaukee yesterday and snowballs on my microspikes were a borderline issue for much of the hike. My guess is it would have been and issue with snowshoes.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I was on Moosilaukee yesterday and snowballs on my microspikes were a borderline issue for much of the hike. My guess is it would have been and issue with snowshoes.
    I wore snowshoes all weekend in the Sandwich Range with no snowballing.

I hiked the Pierce/Eisenhower loop on Saturday and wore microspikes the whole day except for snowshoes coming down Edmands Path. I had no problem with either of them balling up. There were some icy sections of the Crawford Path down low, so maybe she encountered ice...
    "The goggles, they do nothing!"

- Raineer Wolfcastle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I know when I have crampons on, It begins to feel like I'm wearing a platform shoe.
    Takes you back to your old Studio 54 days does it?

When in challenging mountain terrain, Microspikes are toys. Unfortunately it sometimes take a failure of Micropsikes to learn this (and there have been some serious injuries over the years). My wake up call was on East Osceola years ago.

It would be interesting to know if the injury was from the Microspikes losing purchase and the victim sliding into a tree, or if it was from them postholing. Postholing injuries do happen and can be serious. Witnessed one first hand a week and a half ago.

Even in warm temperatures, with current snowpack, mountain snowshoes are a must for safety in the mountains.

I keep a can of PAM in the trunk of my car and give my snowshoes or crampons a shot of lube before I hit the trail.

It may not be good for the metal, but it always seems to prevent the balling that others may experience.
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader Emeritus: Pemigewasset 1993-2005 Southern Presidentials 2005-2017
    Trail Adopter: Webster Cliff Trail

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post

Even in warm temperatures, with current snowpack, mountain snowshoes are a must for safety in the mountains.
    Preach.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210322_180557.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	6629

Quote Originally Posted by wardsgirl View Post
    I keep a can of PAM in the trunk of my car and give my snowshoes or crampons a shot of lube before I hit the trail.

It may not be good for the metal, but it always seems to prevent the balling that others may experience.
    . I do the same. Not only my shoes but my whole rig. Always good to have a lubed under carriage.My friends say I smell like well cooked fried foods and always know where to find me.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Preach.

Name:	IMG_20210322_180557.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	6629
    Twinway two days ago. Gravity wouldn't be kind to Microspikers on this softening snowpack.

Name:	IMG_9829a.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	6630

WRT is a steep trail. Its not one I want to descend in Summer, not to mention on a rotting snowpack.

"I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey