South Baldface rescue - 3/23/2021

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a major proponent of Snowshoes and never hesitate to carry them. Although I have had to remove them to self extricate from a major post holing or spruce trap event multiple times. This usually occurs when I have punched through a hidden crust layer and the tips and tails have submerged below that layer and then will catch on the bottom of that layer when trying to pull it back to the surface. As far as the original thread I think the hyenas have circled in. Not that this guy did everything right but he sure is far from some of the more blatant events that occur. Believe me I'm good here like many at pointing out the things that should have been done but this guy at least was able to hunker down with some degree of comfort by having things like a sleeping bag and a pad. I also give him credit for his humility and what seems like a learning experience posted on FB. Which IMO seems to be out of the norm these days. I'm certainly guilty myself of not doing so but maybe we as a group should embrace some of that humility and not be so quick to pull the trigger on critiquing these events until more of the facts are in.

Similar to you I was on the Carters many April's ago and the snowshoe went through the crust and I couldn't pull it out as it had slid forward. I used my ice axe to enlarge the hole so I could pull it out. We never used snowshoes last week, however, Middle Sugarloaf, Potash and Willard were sidewalk packed. My personal preference is not to do peaks I don't know first in the winter (near winter) and if I'm going someplace I don't know, I'm bringing more gear than I think I need, not the gear I hope I only need.

I am a major proponent of Snowshoes and never hesitate to carry them. Although I have had to remove them to self extricate from a major post holing or spruce trap event multiple times. This usually occurs when I have punched through a hidden crust layer and the tips and tails have submerged below that layer and then will catch on the bottom of that layer when trying to pull it back to the surface. As far as the original thread I think the hyenas have circled in. Not that this guy did everything right but he sure is far from some of the more blatant events that occur. Believe me I'm good here like many at pointing out the things that should have been done but this guy at least was able to hunker down with some degree of comfort by having things like a sleeping bag and a pad. I also give him credit for his humility and what seems like a learning experience posted on FB. Which IMO seems to be out of the norm these days. I'm certainly guilty myself of not doing so but maybe we as a group should embrace some of that humility and not be so quick to pull the trigger on critiquing these events until more of the facts are in.

I find his decision to carry a cell phone but not a headlamp intriguing.

It indicates on the one hand confidence that he’ll finish the trek before dark, yet on the other hand that he might need to communicate with the outside world for some reason.

Or maybe he had the phone for music.

It indicates on the one hand confidence that he’ll finish the trek before dark, yet on the other hand that he might need to communicate with the outside world for some reason.

That makes you old like many of us. Like you surmise, the phone could have been for music, for GPS, for light. (If for all those things you hope he would have a spare battery pack or charger he could have used without plugging in) What is the size of a calculator from the 70's or a TV remote is a computer, phone, GPS, stereo and with Apps can help you with the stars you see for night navigation OR with no power, a very sleek paperweight or with fishing line and a hook, an expensive way to get bait to the bottom if fishing for bottom dwelling fish.

What is so odd about carrying a cellphone? Few folks go anywhere sans-cellphone nowadays.

Yes no Headlamp. He did say in his FB Post that he forgot it. Did he know this before setting out or was it not until he potentially needed it? If it was the former then I guess it would be a case of..."Oh well I'm here..go for it..I'll be down before it gets dark". If the latter....well we all have a Brain Fart once in awhile. That's the thing about this hobby you learn something every time you go out. At least one can only hope so.

You do know that many phones have a flashlight. Far from perfect but better then nothing.

There is a tradeoff on the use of a cell phone as a flashlight. A cell phone flashlight may allow a hiker to extend their trip into the night but they are risking being able to make an emergency call due to low battery if they need to. Its also has a lot more exposure to damage in a persons hand rather than stashed away in the pack. I expect if the hiker has the forethought to switch to airplane mode, that should extend the life of the battery considerably but expect a typical hiker in trouble may not think of that option.

In the past cell, phones had replaceable batteries,if the battery life started to degrade it could be replaced. For folks like me that do not trade in phones for the latest and greatest model, degraded battery life is an issue. I just replaced a 7 year old phone due to an outdated operating system that was limiting its basic functionality and think I replaced three batteries during its life. I know many folks who end up replacing their phone due to this issue. My new phone is a rarity that has a replaceable battery and still is mil spec shock and waterproof rated. It was not offered by the major cell companies and my suspicion is that its intentional planned obsolescence on the cell companies part.