The man from Hartford will be sending a Thank You card to...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever owned a Saab 900, you'd know that what Kramer did made a surprising amount of sense. I suspect that there was a 1/4–1/3 of a tank left when the needle first hit the E and I also suspect that it was a misguided attempt to keep people from running out of gas, because the assumption was that people would refill on hitting "empty," but that they'd have a significant reserve in case there wasn't a gas station nearby. The problem was that once you figured out that E did not equal empty, you'd do exactly what Kramer did, especially if you were a dirtbag college student. IIRC, I once drove from BTV to Mad River Glen and back on "empty." I also ran out of gas twice. Sadly Keith Hernandez wasn't with me on either occasion.

I know...too true, and probably why we straggle out of the woods many times when when the available resources says we shouldn't. I manned the trailheads many times over 15 years at Monadnock, and it was just a weird practical disconnect to encounter with the daily late hiker arrivals in the dozens per week with the same conversation: "So where are you headed so late?", "The summit", "I don't think there is enough time to make it up and back before dark, do you have a flashlight and a back-up?", "No", "How do plan to make it out in the dark?", "I dunno, I guess I I'll call you guys if I get stranded", "Well, don't you think it makes more sense to bring some flashlights so as avoid getting yourself stranded and making yourself my problem?".

This was day after day to the tune of hundreds of similar conversations over the years, I just didn't get the practical disconnect. I more frequently didn't get paid for all these late night adventures like the F&G guys, and at that time could not always rely on their help.

I know...too true, and probably why we straggle out of the woods many times when when the available resources says we shouldn't. I manned the trailheads many times over 15 years at Monadnock, and it was just a weird practical disconnect to encounter with the daily late hiker arrivals in the dozens per week with the same conversation: "So where are you headed so late?", "The summit", "I don't think there is enough time to make it up and back before dark, do you have a flashlight and a back-up?", "No", "How do plan to make it out in the dark?", "I dunno, I guess I I'll call you guys if I get stranded", "Well, don't you think it makes more sense to bring some flashlights so as avoid getting yourself stranded and making yourself my problem?".

This was day after day to the tune of hundreds of similar conversations over the years, I just didn't get the practical disconnect. I more frequently didn't get paid for all these late night adventures like the F&G guys, and at that time could not always rely on their help.

Very good analogy.

I agree and thank you for saying so. One of my favorites on the Spectrum is Dick Williams. To quote from gunksapp.com “ Around 1958 a group challenging the status quo appeared on the scene, the notorious Vulgarians. The 60s brought us unprecedented social upheaval and drugs, so it is without surprise these names came to us from that decade: Cascading Crystal Kaleidoscope (1968) and Psychedelic (1965). Beside these innocent names, the Vulgarians also introduced names that purposely flouted the stodgy establishment of the time... the Appalachian Mountain Club or "Appies”.

CCK - great climb! The venerable DW. Cool dude.

attachment.php

Larry lives in Gorham now. Maintains several of the trails in the area now. Hiked up to Mount Surprise with him last week.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpg
    IMG_3333.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 284
Interesting how this thread only made it to post #4 someone mentions mushrooms and the whole thread totally drifts off topic.

Larry lives in Gorham now. Maintains several of the trails in the area now. Hiked up to Mount Surprise with him last week.

Tim

I was just thinking night before last to catch up with him for a hike. Only thing is he always wanted to get to the summit, while I wanted to explore off-trail away from summits.