April snowstorm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
We have nearly a foot in Southern Vermont in the higher elevations. It's still coming down hard. Going to have to pull the snowshoes back out for climbing in certain places this weekend.
I plan to XC ski after work; this is awesome I love the snow.

I was jealous until it finally started in this morning, just shy of 5" here so far. I was worried as we got no rain yesterday or last night save for a spit. Happy for any precip right now as I didn't even enjoy going into the woods this week as it has been depressingly dry.

Luckily the trees have not leafed-out yet, snow not so rough on the trees.

Wow! Only 1-3" reported in the Cats, and expected to melt off pretty quickly. (Not that we were totally snow free yet, but close).

Parts of NE CT picked up half a foot, melting quickly. I've been paying more attention to river gauges and I'm happy to see the rivers are looking more Spring like. The snow melt overa slightly longer time will help with the rivers not going back down quite as quick as if it had all been rain.

Walked the MSGT from Washington to Pillsbury SP yesterday and conditions were practically wintry with 6" or so melting quickly on the southern-facing slopes and closer to a foot in the shadier sections though spikes/snowshoes would have been overkill. I saw four SOBO end-to-enders who looked like they were having fun; I hope they brought extra socks!

attachment.php

Wildcat Ridge Trail, 2021-04-18

Tim

Attachments

• 175589678_4027817257241493_8897135502391121887_n.jpg
    175589678_4027817257241493_8897135502391121887_n.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 630
And another snow event on the way for Wednesday - Thursday.

I remember hiking in May of 97 and losing the Rollins trail for a bit as the trail markers were still under the snow. Much of the melt really depends on having nights above freezing so you have continuous melting Vs. a melt, freeze, melt, freeze cycle.