New Mount Monadnock Summit record>>>>

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good to hear he kicked the drugs but too often they go the other way and become extreme with other choices. Hopefully he'll find a middle road and be content.

I remember the Monadock Man who ever that was and in when talking to a Ranger there about him he mentioned he thought the guy didn't have a life. Not knowing the guy myself I don't know but I understand what the Ranger ment.

It's not uncommon to change things that one is obsessive to, the behavior is harder to change than the object or activity they chase. In the Music World, Alice Cooper went from booze and drugs to golf. Some of the non-hiking community might say the same to those chasing the grid, county highpoints, the 3K list after the 4K list, they need a list. (Now to go look in the mirror...:rolleyes:)

Fran Rautiola was the just about the most solid and able mountain hiker I ever knew. When he accomplished his 24 hr. record and was working at S&S, it was neat how many of the young guys at S&S obviously looked up to him and all started showing up to do their own regular hikes. Good for Lars and glad to see his recognition of Fran as an inspiration.

I'm not a neurobiologist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, however, it's my understanding that at least some drugs can permanently alter your brain chemistry. In this case I suspect that Mr. Ojala is able to fulfill his brain's chemical needs through those released while training for and ultra-hiking. Others may use less-harmful medications such as methadone. In other words a "life of moderation" may simply not be possible or realistically achievable.

I don't agree with y'all. Why does he need to live in moderation? I mean it's fine if someone wants to live in moderation, but why does he need to? He's happy. Isn't that what counts?
Drugs are destructive and lead to physical, mental and emotional decay. This dude found climbing and running which are healthy, positive and happy activities. If he's obsessive about it, I don't see it as a big deal as long as he's happy and it's not negatively affecting his life and responsibilities. Way better than being addicted to drugs. Infinitely better. I think it's rad he turned his life around. Lord knows I'm glad I did.

Spencer, I agree with you. At least one person close to me has struggled through addiction and their returning to a sport and absorbing themselves in it has dramatically turned their life around all for the good. My concern is that if, for some reason, they are unable to continue with this sport, will they be able to remain sober? I hope that they have gained the tools and support structure to avoid a relapse. But, that's out of my control, so in the meantime, I'll be happy for them and you.

How many people that lived > 100 years ago can you name that "lived a life of moderation"? The people that make history and get remembered, the mover and shakers, the disrupters - tend to be one sided OCD types. May not necessarily be a good thing in all cases

I have been 100% free from drugs and alcohol for 29 years now. If I hadn't stopped, I would have been dead long ago. One of the best decisions I ever made. It's funny - I never ever get tempted to drink or use drugs, not even a little bit. But I still crave cigarettes often. That addiction is so strong. I love the smell of cigarette smoke (crazy, I know), and whenever I'm near smokers I want a cigarette so bad, even after all these decades of not smoking. Such an insidious horrible addiction.
It takes a lot of will power to not smoke cigarettes for me, but staying clear of everything else is no problem at all.

You definitely don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. No matter what, someday you will not be able to hike and you have to be able to pursue other things. I always figured if I couldn't hike I would pursue improving at musical instruments like Piano. I have quite a few things I am passionate about.

In my opinion it's all about: Get busy living.

ps - Alice Cooper is awesome, especially the Killer album!

I have been 100% free from drugs and alcohol for 29 years now. If I hadn't stopped, I would have been dead long ago. One of the best decisions I ever made. It's funny - I never ever get tempted to drink or use drugs, not even a little bit. But I still crave cigarettes often. That addiction is so strong. I love the smell of cigarette smoke (crazy, I know), and whenever I'm near smokers I want a cigarette so bad, even after all these decades of not smoking. Such an insidious horrible addiction.
It takes a lot of will power to not smoke cigarettes for me, but staying clear of everything else is no problem at all.

You definitely don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. No matter what, someday you will not be able to hike and you have to be able to pursue other things. I always figured if I couldn't hike I would pursue improving at musical instruments like Piano. I have quite a few things I am passionate about.

In my opinion it's all about: Get busy living.

ps - Alice Cooper is awesome, especially the Killer album!

First album bought was School's Out. Saw him in Springfield back in the 90's. Addicted to golf now.

Can't really say I feel happy for this person. As others have noted, I hope he learns to live his life with moderation.

Haven't looked at the forums in a bit so def late on this. I think it's fair to say that lots of hiking is better than lots of drugs, and that this man turned his life around for the better. If hiking has become his outlet for avoiding addiction to things that have a large negative impact on his and his family's life, then good for him. Do you really need him to conform to your view of normalcy to feel happy for him? It's not like he quit his job and just hikes 24/7, leaving other responsibilities behind. A major focus of the article is that this man was able to do this despite working a very labor intensive job for a living. If that's not a feel good story, I don't know what is!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter Thompson