Garmin GPS Handhelds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Reaction score
I have CRS bad so they'll be a lot of "don't remember". :cool: I've put this in the search bar but can't find what I'm looking for. Within the past 2 years I believe, someone mentioned something about an update of some sort that would effect GPS units. I think it was Garmin specific but could have been about all GPS's. I don't remember exactly what was being done, new satellites, software for satellite tracking, connecting to satellites, whatever. But it was aid that if your GPS unit was made prior to, I don't remember, the accuracy could be way off. I have a Garmin Oregon 450t. probably 10 years old. Maybe older, I don't remember when I got it. At any rate, I checked the accuracy when whatever was changing did and it was sating accuracy in single digits to teens for most of the time. Recently, it's been way off. Knowing where I was and where it showed me. Accuracy saying 65' and more. This is not a constant. Most of the time it's very close. I love the Oregon's. at first didn't think I'd like the touch screen but came to love it. way better than the toggle button IMO. As it's pressure sensitive touch so it doesn't matter what glove you have on. Garmin does not make the Oregon anymore. I want to get a second hand/refurbished one. So the long awaited question is.... does anyone know what year devices had to be made after, for whatever the change was that effected earlier units? Provided anyone even knows what I'm talking about. I know it was discussed here, just can't find it.

TIA

Have you updated your GPS to latest firmware from Gramin? Most of issues like you described can be fixed with software updates, so I would try this first. When you noticed lower accuracy, were you perhaps in place with lots of tree coverage or near steep slopes that could block the view of the sky? My eTrex 30 was working pretty well but had issues in Zion when surrounded by steep canyon walls.

While I can't point you to the particular thread, I see that Garmin's latest model in Oregon series is 750 (albeit quite pricey in my opinion) but there is a cheaper eTrex Touch 35 in the lineup that has a slightly lower screen resolution but otherwise might be fine for what you need. It does not seem to have preloaded maps though but there are quite a few available sources for maps based on OpenStreeMap data, see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

Have you updated your GPS to latest firmware from Gramin? Most of issues like you described can be fixed with software updates, so I would try this first. When you noticed lower accuracy, were you perhaps in place with lots of tree coverage or near steep slopes that could block the view of the sky? My eTrex 30 was working pretty well but had issues in Zion when surrounded by steep canyon walls.

While I can't point you to the particular thread, I see that Garmin's latest model in Oregon series is 750 (albeit quite pricey in my opinion) but there is a cheaper eTrex Touch 35 in the lineup that has a slightly lower screen resolution but otherwise might be fine for what you need. It does not seem to have preloaded maps though but there are quite a few available sources for maps based on OpenStreeMap data, see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

I believe I tried updating it already. Can always try again. What I'm looking for is the as described above. Something changed that would render older units far less reliable. I'm trying to find out what that was and what manufacture date was the cut-off for "older units". That way if I pick up a used/refurbished one, I'll know how new of a model I'd have to get. This was discussed here. Hopefully the OP of that will see this.

I believe I tried updating it already. Can always try again. What I'm looking for is the as described above. Something changed that would render older units far less reliable. I'm trying to find out what that was and what manufacture date was the cut-off for "older units". That way if I pick up a used/refurbished one, I'll know how new of a model I'd have to get. This was discussed here. Hopefully the OP of that will see this.

Joe,

Do you know about the April 6, 2019 bug??

More information at this link.

Looks like this bug affects pre 2010 units and can be patched.

cb

Last edited:
Thanks. This is what I was looking for I believe. Mine is that old most likely but has not stopped working altogether. Probably just tired. Time for a new/newer one I think.

Just as an FYI:

I just started using Gaia on my older iPhone 7 and love it. When hiking I run the phone in Airplane mode and the stand-alone GPS in the phone operates continually.

I usually get 16-foot accuracy from the GPS unit. Even a short diversion off a marked trail is obvious. You might want to try Gaia before dropping $$ on a new GPS unit.

I have an old Garmin 60CSx with pre-week-number rollover software. If I fire it up after it has been off for a day or so, everything is fine. However, if I turn it off and back on a short while later it will be unable to establish an initial location and after a while will pop up a window declaring the failure--I just click on restart from an unknown location and it will shortly find the initial location and operate normally.

I seem to recall that a master reset may be helpful, but I haven't tried it.

Doug